Leaving

Umyaya

Besides the wider handlebars and how tall it feels when sitting compared to the 8. This would take a little to get used to but the bike is sweet.

npeifer2308

Not a bad looking bike, but im not a fan of the windshield but to each their own. I hope you like it man and enjoy the ride!
P.S. Love the color of the bike though...

toothycardus

You know, just because it's a higher number doesn't make it better. :D

The engine on the mt09 is amazing so much torque, I can see why a lot of people buy triumph! You just can't go back from a tripple. And the led headlights are unbelievable

Bagman

Your first post: "Hopefully one day I will return."

..then this...

The engine on the mt09 is amazing so much torque, I can see why a lot of people buy triumph! You just can't go back from a tripple. And the led headlights are unbelievable

...You know what.. Just go.. :cry4:

Rhyno54

Lol, you know I was thinking about trading in my FZ8 for either a Kawasaki Monster or a Triumph YZF-R1, what do you guys think. Just kidding enjoy your new bike

Last edited:

Bram

Congrats on the new bike.

I've been playing around with the idea of changing to an MT-09 naked version myself.
I did a testride on the MT-09 naked and MT-09 Tracer.

The torque on those engines is a blast and havent feeled this kind of power in the lower RPM's since the test ride with an Aprillia Tuono 2 years ago.

There are some things that keep me from buying it right now. I will give an overview of what turns me down. Maybe you guys can give relate, or it's just all playing in my mind:

Downsides compared to the FZ8 (in my opinion):
Looks:
- The headlight assembly is strange looking. Like something is missing. But this can be fixed with aftermarket parts (maybe a small windscreen on top)
- The seat is not as sporty looking as the FZ8. Don't like it being made out of 1 piece. and the fact that it widenes on the back.
- The gas tank feels to small, high and too flat on the top compred to the FZ8. I like how my knees embrace the fat tank of the FZ8. Don't have the same firm feel between my knees on the MT09.
- the tail light is looks like it doesn't fit the bike and they just put something on there in the last 5 seconds of manufacturing. BUT this can alse be fixed with aftermarket parts
- The handlebar is too high, and placed too far too the back. Feels like you are riding a supermotard.

Engine:
- A-mode has some ON/OFF issues in town riding. Prefer STD or even B-mode for in town riding.
- Standard exhaust is too silent.

Handling:
- Due to the torque, lower weight, and more upright body position, the front of the bike feels very light and doesn't give me the confidence like the FZ8 does when riding hard. it doesn't feel as firmly planted on the road as the FZ8.
- The front suspention is too soft in my opinion. Due to the engine torque, the front is diving all the time when riding at a good pace on twisty roads, which doesn't inspire confidence.

Plus-sides compared to my FZ8:
Looks:
- I like the short exhaust

Engine:

- The engine is a BEAST. The loads of torque in addition to the light weight makes the bike a wheelie monster, with a very high fun-factor. The engine picks up in very low RPM's and keeps pulling until redline.
- This type of engine is perfectly fit for my type of riding (low to MID RPM-range)

Put this engine in the FZ8 looks, and I will throw the money to the dealers head an but it ASAP.
I was at the dealer yesterday too keep looking at the bike, but I cannot convince myself to buy it.

this weekend I will do another restride with the MT-09 naked too see if I can get used to it's flaws and looks.

You think I must be crazy or something, but for me, the looks of the bike is equally as important as the fun-factor. I will not buy a bike that I think is not so good looking.
When I leave my FZ8 in the garage, I ALWAYS turn my head to look at it when leaving.

Can you guys relate to my struggle, or am I seeing ghosts here?

thx for the feedback.