Is this usual?

funnelli

I often get a small patch of what I assume is fuel from the overflow pipe adjacent to the breather after filling with petrol, it's annoying and wondered if it was a usual thing for fz8s/fazers or if I have a problem, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

funnelli

Thanks for the confirmation, I took my petrol cap of yesterday and have been stressing that it isn't sealing properly and petrol is bypassing it, never had a bike do this before though so guess its an fz8 quirk!

Bolstie

Question: How full are you filling the fuel/gas tank?

If you're filling it over the internal metal "guide" inside the tank, you are over-filling the tank, fuel is expanding before its used and flowing out the overflow. Least that would be my guess based on what has been stated.

Owner's manual recommends that tank be filled only to the bottom of the internal metal "guide" (Owner's Manual calls it a "filler tube"; see p 4-15).

krillz

The tank heats up the fuel and the vapor rises to the breather hose and turns back to a liquid as it cooled in the hose and some rolls back in the tank and some out the hose. Nothing to worry about.

funnelli

I always overfill my tank... is this bad and should I stop?

I suppose as the excess petrol just sits in the well under the petrol cap until it vents through the hose it shouldn't be an issue although it's reasonably close to a hot exhaust?

Fazer 8

The tank heats up the fuel and the vapor rises to the breather hose and turns back to a liquid as it cooled in the hose and some rolls back in the tank and some out the hose. Nothing to worry about.

I think this is exactly correct - the few drips of liquid that come from the end of the hose are re-condensed gasoline vapors. What's interesting is that if you rub a bit of it between your fingers and smell it, it has very little smell. Apparently the fraction of gasoline that our motorcycles are essentially distilling is not very volatile or aromatic.

I hadn't noticed this on previous bikes I've owned, but the FZ8/Fazer 8 warms the gas tank up a lot more than any of my previous bikes did. Also, on previous bikes it seems that these vapors were just vented through the gas cap, which you could hear whistle sometimes after parking. The FZ8 actually doesn't smell up my garage with gassy smells nearly as much as my previous bikes (DL1000 V-Strom, ZRX1100) did.

Fazer 8

Of course the biggest problem are the drips making stains on my front pathway which is a pain!

I suppose maybe you could get a little plastic bottle of some sort (something impervious to gasoline) and tape/zip-tie/whatever it to the end of the gasoline vent hose, to catch these little drips. It might have to be emptied occasionally, though. I was thinking something the size of those 5-Hour Energy drinks, preferably clear or translucent.