How do you guys feel about AGATT?

Scott09

For the 2 years iv been riding I never once got on my bike(s) without my jacket, gloves and helmet but that should be a no brainer in the states where its legal. Iv been using jeans but I finally got some kevlar jeans this week which make me feel way more comfortable out on the road. Without gear I feel extremely uncomfortably vulnerable.

clemmel

I've gone down in a few small, minor accidents on my bikes and each time, gear has kept the injuries and scrapes minimal. I was rear-ended last year and that was the one time that I wasn't wearing a boot that came up to my ankle. Sure enough, I twisted and scraped that ankle up and it turned out to be my worst injury from the accident. Had I been wearing a higher boot, it might not have been as bad...

Saying that, I do look at everyone riding with their bowls on their head, a t-shirt and shorts and I have to say it looks much easier to hop and and ride like that. My dad has ridden for years and only wears a helmet when he is forced to by law and his comment about a helmet and gear is "you only need it once"...

Gear is basically like insurance I guess. You don't have to wear it or carry is (sometimes) but when there is trouble, it's sure nice to have it there and ready!

ssky0078

I won't ride without a helmet. I've been down twice as documented on this forum ad nauseum. Both times I hit my head. The first one would have killed me and the second one I probably would have lost an eye or half my face.

I won't ride without a jacket because it probably helped save me from a broken scapula in the first crash

I've ridden without gloves a half mile from the grocery because my hands were too sweaty and I just was hot and frustrated.

I need to get mesh riding pants. I've been getting a little bolder with putting a knee out and getting the bike over. It's an odd feeling when you look down and there is a foot or less between your knee and the ground going by at speed.

After doing demo ride on the Raider I could see how guys on cruisers feel ok without gear. I mean operating a moving lounge chair doesn't seem very harrowing nor exhilarating like you need gear to stay alive.

Jacek3743

I won't ride without a helmet. I've been down twice as documented on this forum ad nauseum. Both times I hit my head. The first one would have killed me and the second one I probably would have lost an eye or half my face.

I won't ride without a jacket because it probably helped save me from a broken scapula in the first crash

I've ridden without gloves a half mile from the grocery because my hands were too sweaty and I just was hot and frustrated.

I need to get mesh riding pants. I've been getting a little bolder with putting a knee out and getting the bike over. It's an odd feeling when you look down and there is a foot or less between your knee and the ground going by at speed.

After doing demo ride on the Raider I could see how guys on cruisers feel ok without gear. I mean operating a moving lounge chair doesn't seem very harrowing nor exhilarating like you need gear to stay alive.

But usually when those things go down, since that lounge chair is pretty damn heavy, they have some pretty nasty results

Jacek3743

I live around people that consider a 600cc bike a "little boys toy" or a "girl's bike". I find it annoying and funny when you ask one of them how you should steer and first answer is "the harder you lean, the more you turn". So being 21, I do believe gear is VERY important.

An excuse that it's "too hot" isn't a good one because they sell mesh shirts with protective gear sewed onto it and you can wear it without anything on and it'll feel like you're riding naked.

Ssky0078 also mentioned the part about the mesh pants. I agree completely because I took out my friends z1000 (horrible powerful machine for me), I wanted to push it a little but I didn't want to screw up my knee for bringing it to the ground so close.

When i see a guy and girl in shorts and shirt with flip flops on on a liter bike, I just laugh because it even going 30mph, if he puts the bike down, it's gonna leave an ugly scar.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I have internal quarrel with ATGATT, but deep deep down I know that I really should, but it's not so practical all the time.

But still, it's crazy to think about the potential abrasion you can get IF you fall. So with that said, Back protector, jacket, helmet, boots, gloves helmet, and overpants are my solution.

ssky0078

But usually when those things go down, since that lounge chair is pretty damn heavy, they have some pretty nasty results

Oh, I agree with you totally. It is a false sense of security. Like in the 70s-80s real american men wouldn't buy japanese cars because American steel was bigger and heavier and stronger to withstand the impact of a crash. Well people still died in American cars.

The human body first of all was not really built to exceed 20 mph. Second the human body wasn't built to interface with asphalt/concrete/guard rail/etc. If you go down on a motorcycle on the street, you just better hope you have gear and it holds up.

atx8

Living in Texas I sometimes go ride with out gear (previous bikes for those that know I'm still waiting on the 8). Although I never go with out a lid. As for anything else.. I'll roll the dice as I just use the bikes to put around on the weekends. HOWEVER... If I know I'm going to go out to ride hard I will put on more gear. Track suit, no. Jacket, hands and feet... Yes. That's just my .02 and most will probably leave a negative comment. To each is own I suppose.

Jacek3743

Props for even wearing gear down there. I'm guessing your summers can be unbearable

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'm in Austin as well. The heat isn't too bad as long as you
  • Hydrate
  • Keep moving
It sucks something horrible to get stuck at a long light on the blacktop in triple degree heat. BUT... the moment you get rolling again, evaporation takes over and the temperature gets really nice.

My gear for riding in and around Austin:
  • Full face helmet
  • Gloves
  • Mesh riding jacket
  • Kevlar jeans
  • Riding boots
  • Armored, retroreflective backpack
  • Earplugs
I'll add layers under that if its cold, over that if its wet.

If it's dry and above 34F, I ride
If it's wet and above 40F, I ride
If it's under 150F, I ride

Last edited:

Tango59

I just about always wear full gear but here in the Mid-South July and August are brutal. I'll sometimes do an errand without a jacket but I always wear decent gloves. I've had roadrash on my hands and thats a bitch. If I'm on a ride where I'm not stuck in traffic, I wear full gear.

Last edited:

Nstr_FZ8

I support atgatt.. But what is the purpose of the gloves? I thought they were just so u didnt freeze your hands...

medivh66

Pillion
I support atgatt.. But what is the purpose of the gloves? I thought they were just so u didnt freeze your hands...

had i been wearing gloves when i went down i wouldnt have a scar there now. plus road rash on the hand is not fun. makes it hard to do things.