HELP fz8 will only run wile holding the starter button

sirgaryhimself

ok so im stumped
I have a 2011 yahaha fz8 that I bought brand new it only has 5500 miles on it and is bone stock other than the airbox mod and a set of handelbars
the bike will run but only if your holding down the starter button
it cranks right up and will run as long as your holding the starter button down.
I can not figure this out the bike sat for about 9 months wile I was in Alaska working so when I came back I drained the gas and put in fresh shell vpower gas so I know bad gas is not the problem this is my first newer bike so im lost on all the elc stuff iv always had rd400s and gt550s and cb750s so im not used to all these new bike problems and have never heard of a bike doing this I even called the dealership I bought the bike from and they also had no clue anybody have a idea? thank you

MotoZen

It sounds to me like some wires got swapped or crossed? How long ago were the handlebars changed? The starter itself should be engaged while the starter button is being pressed. It sounds like maybe the starter button is somehow opening and closing the run switch instead. I'm just guessing though. I hate electrical work.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Woody146

Banned
ok so im stumped
I have a 2011 yahaha fz8 that I bought brand new it only has 5500 miles on it and is bone stock other than the airbox mod and a set of handelbars
the bike will run but only if your holding down the starter button
it cranks right up and will run as long as your holding the starter button down.
I can not figure this out the bike sat for about 9 months wile I was in Alaska working so when I came back I drained the gas and put in fresh shell vpower gas so I know bad gas is not the problem this is my first newer bike so im lost on all the elc stuff iv always had rd400s and gt550s and cb750s so im not used to all these new bike problems and have never heard of a bike doing this I even called the dealership I bought the bike from and they also had no clue anybody have a idea? thank you

Change the oil and the spark plugs..clean your air filter if it's a bmc or k&n..if it's a stock kind,,put one of those in

RD GUY

Change the oil and the spark plugs..clean your air filter if it's a bmc or k&n..if it's a stock kind,,put one of those in

what does changing the oil/plugs have to do with an electrical problem? maybe some mice found a meal on the wiring or some green death on conections ?

sirgaryhimself

The bike willcrank up and run As soon as it starts the starter disengauges and bike will remain running untile you let go of the starter button. Im stumped il tey changing the oild plugs and filter this weekend but im not shure how that would fix it

OdinSon

I would check the kickstand switch, switch that says whether its in neutral, and check the big red on off switch. See if anything is loose, dirty, or corroded.

Is the bike in neutral when you start it?

myklobe

I would check the kickstand switch, switch that says whether its in neutral, and check the big red on off switch. See if anything is loose, dirty, or corroded.

Is the bike in neutral when you start it?

That's a great idea! I'd followup and say spray some electrical contact cleaner in the button part on the kick stand and big red on/off button. Things that sit corrode very easily.

sirgaryhimself

Nvm i found the starter relay. It seams fine the 2 green fuses in it are fine Iv changed the oil the aor filter and the plugs iv cleaned the kick stand switch and checked the starter relay. Im freakin lost. Could the ecu be bad?

pigdog

the starter relay sends full voltage from the battery to the starter through the starter switch without sending full voltage through the rest of the electrical system. one side of the relay or the starter switch is bad or a wire might be pinched at the handlebar.either way its easy to replace the relay & eliminate that part of the starting system.

pigdog

you know, theres other things that could keep the engine from running like a bad ignition switch or main relay, even a bad ecu. im an old school mechanic. also i don't have a shop manual so im trying to help you with the info you have given me by suggesting the easy stuff first.

rug_burn

Probably from being out in the weather one of the several switches in the starter circuit (neutral, kickstand, clutch in this case) got some corrosion on it and ain't makin' contact. I've been able to disassemble the switches on my other bike (Honda Valkyrie) and polish the contacts or bend them a little as needed and fix them without having to order new switches and solder them in. Just be careful not to break the housings.

But the fact that it cranks and fires when holding the start button would seem to point to the kickstand switch. That's exactly what it will do if the kickstand is down and you put it in gear.
Does it make any difference if :
1. it's in neutral?
2. the clutch is in?
3. the kickstand is down?

If you thought about it for a while you could maybe figure out from its response in these conditions which switch is causing the problem.

Last edited:

pigdog

back to basics. fuel, air, fire. unless there is a bird in your air cleaner, you can cross air off your list. the bike cranks starts dies. cross starter off your list. starts, stalls. engine runs, stalls so cross the mofo off your list. so its down to fuel & fire.
#1 check battery terminals for loose connections at starter, also at ground. when it comes down to it, electronics make the spark plugs fire. you wanna ride? check the easy stuff first