Headlight Mod

krillz

That really looks good man. How long did it take to get it back?
Im also jealous of how much green are in your trees and grass.

DanS

Commuter
That really looks good man. How long did it take to get it back?
Im also jealous of how much green are in your trees and grass.
Thanks! He received my headlight on the 20th and shipped it back on the 22nd, I had it back on my bike on the 25th.
Our winters are very short here, it's green most of year

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Thanks! He received my headlight on the 20th and shipped it back on the 22nd, I had it back on my bike on the 25th.
Our winters are very short here, it's green most of year

that is good shipping time! I made the mistake of going UPS ground so it's taking forever to get there. USPS Priority will cost just a few dollars more and cut down shipping time in half.

DanS

Commuter
that is good shipping time! I made the mistake of going UPS ground so it's taking forever to get there. USPS Priority will cost just a few dollars more and cut down shipping time in half.
It sucks to be without your bike for a few days but this is worth the wait!

DanS

Commuter
Good to know! where did you end up putting your ballast?
Next to the horn, secured to the lower headlight mount bracket and the brake manifold bracket. The leads coming off the ballast are too short to mount to the frame and I couldn't find a good spot behind the headlight. The ballast came with a metal mounting strap, I bent the strap to mate with the headlight bracket and secured with a zip tie. Also I cushioned the ballast and zip tied to the brake manifold bracket, keeping the ballast off the rubber brake lines. I ran the leads between the brake lines and between the right fork and frame to headlight. The relay pack was another challenge, I put it under the fly screen and secured to the upper headlight bracket. The main harness I ran between the left fork and frame and thru the slot in the frame and separated in front of the air box. the negative lead runs along the inside of the left frame to the battery and the positive lead runs along the inside of the right frame to the battery. The LED lead ties into the running lights behind the headlight. There is a very limited amount of space behind the headlight and a lot of wiring to stuff in there! It will all fit but be careful and secure it all with zip ties.

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
Hey Dans, are those the ebay tomoks you've got there? I have a set laying around, just haven't gotten around to installing. how do you like visability compared to the stock mirrors? Any better?

DanS

Commuter
Hey Dans, are those the ebay tomoks you've got there? I have a set laying around, just haven't gotten around to installing. how do you like visability compared to the stock mirrors? Any better?
Hi cambo, I found them on amazon.com
I have an amazing view of my elbows :D , I think they look good on the bike though. I was always looking at my shoulders with the stock mirrors

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Machined-Aluminum-Rearview-Mounting/dp/B006LF6EEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364614278&sr=8-1&keywords=High+Quality+Black+Triangle+Demon+Blade+Style+CNC+Machined+Billet+Aluminum+Rearview+Side+Mirrors+8MM+10MM+Mounting+Tool+Bolts+For+Yamaha+YZF+R1+R6+MT-01+MT-03+WR+TDM+TDR+TW+Fazer+XJR+TDM+XJ+XTZ+V+Max+WR+FZ1+FZ6+FZ8]High Quality Black Triangle Demon Blade Style CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Rearview Side Mirrors 8MM 10MM Mounting Tool Bolts For Yamaha YZF R1 R6 MT-01 MT-03 WR TDM TDR TW Fazer XJR TDM XJ XTZ V Max WR FZ1 FZ6 FZ8 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Edit: I just looked up the Tomoks on eBay and it looks like the exact same mirror

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
Hi cambo, I found them on amazon.com
I have an amazing view of my elbows :D , I think they look good on the bike though. I was always looking at my shoulders with the stock mirrors

High Quality Black Triangle Demon Blade Style CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Rearview Side Mirrors 8MM 10MM Mounting Tool Bolts For Yamaha YZF R1 R6 MT-01 MT-03 WR TDM TDR TW Fazer XJR TDM XJ XTZ V Max WR FZ1 FZ6 FZ8 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Edit: I just looked up the Tomoks on eBay and it looks like the exact same mirror

Thanks man- I actually ordered off of amazon too haha...the set I have on now is off of ebay. Get all these parts confused now... But seeing your elbows is what I was afraid of. I had the same issue with the stockers. I don't want to see my elbows lol!

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Thanks man- I actually ordered off of amazon too haha...the set I have on now is off of ebay. Get all these parts confused now... But seeing your elbows is what I was afraid of. I had the same issue with the stockers. I don't want to see my elbows lol!

I want to offer an alternative suggestion for your consideration to the "elbows reflecting in the mirrors" thing. Usually when your elbows get in the way, you have your mirrors aimed directly behind you. Seems logical right?

While this is GREAT for looking directly behind you 6:00 position, buts whats sometimes more dangerous are things in your "blind spot". On motorcycles the 4:00 - 5:00 and 7:00 - 8:00 location. If you aim your mirrors at the 4-5 and 7-8 you all of a sudden can't see your 6:00 anymore, but you gain an amazing ability to know exactly whats in your blind spots AND this moves the mirrors away from your elbows. It'll look weird at first, but with a quick glance you can know if it's safe to move over from immediate danger.

Although it's for cars, I feel like it provides a pretty good parallel to motorcycles, you can read aobut it more here: VW Rabbit Forum " adjust your mirrors like a racecar driver!!!" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club!!!

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I used to ride like this, but my problem is that when I am decelerating in town or on the freeway I am looking behind me to make sure i dont get rear ended. same if i am chillin at a stop sign/light with no one behind me. im looking, in first, ready to move. but thats just me probably being paranoid

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I did a mod similar to this on my car. I LOVE the bi-xenon projectors' light output. I'm looking forward to installing the same type on my FZ8. It didn't take long (maybe 3 hours) considering it was the first time I've taken headlights apart. Yours looks fantastic. I really like the halo and the blacked out housing.

DanS

Commuter
I want to offer an alternative suggestion for your consideration to the "elbows reflecting in the mirrors" thing. Usually when your elbows get in the way, you have your mirrors aimed directly behind you. Seems logical right?

While this is GREAT for looking directly behind you 6:00 position, buts whats sometimes more dangerous are things in your "blind spot". On motorcycles the 4:00 - 5:00 and 7:00 - 8:00 location. If you aim your mirrors at the 4-5 and 7-8 you all of a sudden can't see your 6:00 anymore, but you gain an amazing ability to know exactly whats in your blind spots AND this moves the mirrors away from your elbows. It'll look weird at first, but with a quick glance you can know if it's safe to move over from immediate danger.

Although it's for cars, I feel like it provides a pretty good parallel to motorcycles, you can read aobut it more here: VW Rabbit Forum " adjust your mirrors like a racecar driver!!!" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club!!!
I'm actually happy with the mirrors. I have them adjusted so I can see behind and to the sides as much as possible, just always have to reposition my elbows when looking. And no mater what I'm driving or riding I always turn my head and look before changing lanes. I do have my truck mirrors set up like you suggested but I'm like SeñorJack I want to see whats coming up behind me.

DanS

Commuter
I did a mod similar to this on my car. I LOVE the bi-xenon projectors' light output. I'm looking forward to installing the same type on my FZ8. It didn't take long (maybe 3 hours) considering it was the first time I've taken headlights apart. Yours looks fantastic. I really like the halo and the blacked out housing.
Thank you! I'm very happy with how it turned out. And now I'm thinking about an HID mod for my truck