Having a really tough time shifting my 2012 FZ8 from 2nd to 3rd.

evan1

Bike is new to me, and has less than 1500 miles on it, and it seems that I'm frequently missing the shift from 2nd to 3rd. If I'm lucky, I'll see the neutral indicator flash as I'm upshifting, or else it's rather upsetting to both me and the bike. :mad:

This happen to anyone else? I'm hoping that the problem lies with me and not the bike. I recall seeing someone else post something along these lines, but can't recall where.

Bike is new to me, and has less than 1500 miles on it, and it seems that I'm frequently missing the shift from 2nd to 3rd. If I'm lucky, I'll see the neutral indicator flash as I'm upshifting, or else it's rather upsetting to both me and the bike. :mad:

This happen to anyone else? I'm hoping that the problem lies with me and not the bike. I recall seeing someone else post something along these lines, but can't recall where.

As a noob, I experienced this frequently....but it was because I wasn't letting the shifter return to it's "starting" position...although I thought I was, my big ass foot kept it from getting back all the way to the starting position.

At least I think this is what you mean by "missing the shift from 2nd to 3rd".

I have this problem on my 550mi 2013. I'm not 100% certain if I'm not getting off the shifter completely as mentioned above, or if there's something else going on.

I do, however, often get stuck in 3rd when downshifting unless I apply power in between gears... this hardly works well when coming to a stoplight, but I find that I can minimize the chances by shifting swiftly (through the clear double-detents) and with my foot as close to the chassis as possible (to minimize twisting). It does seem to be getting better as I put more miles on it.

I expected the transmission to be better, but so far it's my only complaint.

I think what you all may be describing could be a false neutral. I never experienced it on my 2011 but Yamaha may have changed up the gear ratios on the newer models. I have experienced the same issue on other bikes. I was told there are two solutions: first be sure you are really applying pressure to the gear selector and letting it return to its initial position, second make sure your RPMs are high enough for the gear.

I had this issue on my friends Monster and he said the dealer told him that he needed to be in a higher RPM range. Once I did that it went away.

Another tip I have read is that if it does happen, always shift up (if you can)

Put some Mobile 1 4T in her. Once she breaks in your good. It might help. Mine felt a bit stiff for awhile.

Change the oil and filter if you have not. Make sure your clutch lever has the proper slack. Make sure your foot shifter has not been moved and is in the proper position for your foot.

I had this happen to me a few times, too- until I just got used to where the shifter was, and I got a new pair of boots which were a little thinner. On my other bike, my daily ride to work [Honda Valkyrie w 150 k miles- my old man's bike], it'll do that if I don't get all the way into second on the first shift from a stop. The fact that you're seeing a neutral light flash sometimes may be due to this.

sounds like a 1-2 problem not a 2-3. just saying. that shift need to be really firm. i use to do it all the time its pretty embarrassing riding with my friends.

I got less then 300ml on my 12 and it just started happening to me too, from 2nd to 3rd... If it continues ima take it in to Yamaha for service.. I'll update when I figure it out..

sounds like a 1-2 problem not a 2-3. just saying. that shift need to be really firm. i use to do it all the time its pretty embarrassing riding with my friends.

Hitting neutral between first and second is not very uncommon, just gotta be very firm with the foot. However on shifts from second to thirds I also ofte experience "problems", the bike not shifting and staying in second. But this is completely my fault, as I sometimes not let the gearlever return fully to its neutral position after the change into second gear. Thinking about tilting the lever slightly upwards, but don't want to have a long way for the foot to travel to get on top of the lever for downchange. I just have to focus on letting it all the way down, and hopefully I will do it automatically in a while. This happens now in one of maybe 30 gearchanges from second to third, so not really a big problem.

let the tranny break in it will go away just make a mental note of it and try to use full range of motion. try putting the base of your toe nail on the lever so when you move your ankle it will give the most movement

Back