GoPro Tank Mount

Lee_533

Testing out the GoPro tank mount. I really like the stability of it, I need to put a riser on there so you can see over the cluster, but there was almost no vibration. Only downside is that I can't completely tuck so the wind isn't fun. Don't judge the video, the wind was around 30mph that day with gusts up to like 45mph. I didn't choose the best day to go out but I wanted to ride.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9j0fTEM3yE&feature=plcp]Mount - YouTube[/ame]

Lee_533

And a quick note...if you want to see the speeds, change the quality of the video. That's only if you're interested it in lol. Like it matters :D

jess24845030

Any chance of a picture of the camera set up on the bike , looking at that video i may have to invest , although i have trouble putting up pictures let alone trying video . :confused:

ssky0078

Any chance of a picture of the camera set up on the bike , looking at that video i may have to invest , although i have trouble putting up pictures let alone trying video . :confused:

Pictures should be easy, just need to use the attachment button and upload.

Check out my brief review of the tech information.

What's the best Action Camcorder GoPro, Drift, Contour, Adixxion, or other? - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

I think I will end up with both the GoPro Hero3 Black edition and the Contour +2. The Contour +2 you can get for 100 less than full retail on ebay. While the Hero3 Black is going for 100 over retail. But I think having that GPS would be pretty cool to have. Plus on some of the runs I take it would be cool to track the elevation change as well. AZ goes as low as 1000 above sea level to 7000 ft. It's kind of amazing.

BDazzler

Nice video. I agree that it needs to be higher. I have an FZ1 and I use the suction cup mount with arm in front of the gas cap (between the gas cap and the air box cover). It is tall enough to see over the gauges. I have the FZ1S with the 1/4 fairing, so I need to make sure I have a clear windshield on. I haven't tried video through a smoke shield, but I doubt it would be very good.

Are you using a sticky mount? I will get a bit of buzzing from the arm mounts at certain RPMs. I may just need to crank them down a bit tighter. I'll see if I can get some editing done and post a few videos of a ride I took with the wife this past September for our anniversary. She's on her '09 Ninja 250r. I wanted her to put the GoPro on her bike and get video of me, but she didn't want to and she had a dark smoke Zero Gravity Double Bubble shield, so it wouldn't have worked well anyway.

Lee_533

I'm just using the sticky mount. That video was shot without the riser so once I put the riser on I think it will be good. I don't really trust the suction mount. I tried using it inside the car windshield but it kept falling off and I've already lost one gopro on the track at 130 mph.

BDazzler

I'm just using the sticky mount. That video was shot without the riser so once I put the riser on I think it will be good. I don't really trust the suction mount. I tried using it inside the car windshield but it kept falling off and I've already lost one gopro on the track at 130 mph.

I have used the suction mount exclusively. It held for about 800 miles, through rain and shine. I was a bit worried because I had no tether, but it held just fine on my tank. I'll use a tether next time, just to be sure.

AlCab

Have you guys tried the chest harness? I have not yet used it on my FZ8 but I have when mountain biking. It gives a nice perspective in that you are looking over the handle bars and you can see your hands working the controls. Looks kind of like a video game.

It wouldn't work too well though if you are tucking tight against the tank but I think it would be fine for less spirited riding. I will try to get some footage from it next time I get a chance.

JSP

Administrator
Here is a vid I did this summer... Quality not the greatest. GoPro does not like all the shadow/sun/shadow/sun. This is with suction cup on the tank.

HD of course for best quality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogW9QSM-S54]242 Oregon Ride JSP and TATTY with GoPro HD FZ8 and FZ6R - YouTube[/ame]

JSP

Administrator
No body positioning? That's a nice level, I just don't trust the suction mount :D

And why did you cover the speed? no fun.

No body positioning for me or the rider in front? He is a fairly new rider so he is still learning. ;)

Cover it just for the heck of it ;) Hear of people getting tickets, etc for posting speeding... Usually in other countries, but ya never know.

Here is another vid. At 46 seconds in, we have the camera on his bike filming me behind him. This was the first time I took the bike out on an actual ride after I got it, and the first time on this road last year so nothing too serious...

The rest of the vid is with it suction cupped to the flat spot on the tail next to the rear seat. Both vids, I have the camera tethered to the bike just in case.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJbg5QOr5k]Tatty and JSP ride Fossil Oregon Loop - YouTube[/ame]

I am generally pretty decent keeping some form. (far from pro though haha) This is my on my FZ6R a couple years ago: (before riding it into the side of a mountain :( )

Last edited:

Lee_533

I'm talking a quick video now with the riser installed, should be up in about an hour. Not a hard ride, just around town to see how well it does.

ssky0078

I had my suction cup mount on my windshield on my Fz6 and popped 130 on the speedo. It was fine, didn't come off and hit me in the head or anything. You just have to make sure it has a good seal. i would test it by rocking the bike while attached. Also it helps if you keep your bike clean.

e11charlie

The suction mount worked just fine on the tank. I even have the flat grey paint and it hasn't wiggled off. I put it on and left it on for a couple of days. I would go out periodically and try to pull it off and it didn't come off.

ssky0078

The suction mount worked just fine on the tank. I even have the flat grey paint and it hasn't wiggled off. I put it on and left it on for a couple of days. I would go out periodically and try to pull it off and it didn't come off.

Is that what you guys do in Idaho in the winter:depressed:, go out and check the GoPro mount on your bike while dreaming about warmer weather?

JK, I couldnt' resist.:rof::rof:

We had our first day of rain down here in AZ tonight. I had to take my GoPro off every day because people will steal that $hit around here.

e11charlie

o ok nice, did you use gopros video editor to upload it to youtube? Cause I used it and just edited one and and uploaded it that took 4 hours for just a 2 minute video gut now its failed to process.

I use iMovie. Works like a charm and no problems.