Good gravel/wet road tire?

TorontoAlex

I'm not looking for an offroad tire. However does anyone have a recommendation for a mainly highway touring tire that could also handle cold rain and occasional gravel roads?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Pilot Road 2 have served me well for over three years, also have used Pirelli Angel ST (now replaced with GT and what I plan to get next)...

I live on a gravel road, road a lot in the rain. Doesn't mean you can go crazy on gravel roads/steep climbs/descends, but it is ride-able for those occasional gravel roads that pop up.

G

GNoiZZ

I'm not looking for an offroad tire. However does anyone have a recommendation for a mainly highway touring tire that could also handle cold rain and occasional gravel roads?

Was reading a bit at the pursuithorizon homepage and seemed she liked the Dunlop D616 a lot.

Was thinking about rebuild my FZ8 more touring orientated after my crash last week.

TorontoAlex

Wow i guess i dont need to spend $16000 on a tenere when the time comes for a cross country offroad tour! He says he held up better than all the other guys because of those tires. I just read the northern ontario and manitoba winter tour by bwokentooth on advriders and was inspired.

Kellaupat

My Buell Ulysses had Pirelli Scorpion Syncs. They worked awesome on pavement, wet or dry, and had just enough grip on gravel. I thought about putting those on my FZ for the occasional trek down the forest roads. Only issue I had with them was I only got about 4300 miles on them before I saw cord in the rear tire.

LA2019

Was reading a bit at the pursuithorizon homepage and seemed she liked the Dunlop D616 a lot.

Was thinking about rebuild my FZ8 more touring orientated after my crash last week.

I had a set of 616's on my old bike (1993 Yamaha GTS) and I thought they were an outstanding tire for what they were designed. I'll be putting a set on the FZ8 come spring.

TwoWheels

I had a set of 616's on my old bike (1993 Yamaha GTS) and I thought they were an outstanding tire for what they were designed. I'll be putting a set on the FZ8 come spring.

+1 I'm running these as soon as spring comes around and my old tire gets burned off :D Used to be a great tire IMO, went away for a while, and I'm itching to try the new version. A little pricey compared to what they used to cost, but personally, I liked them over the "super sport track go go go awesome traction for track days and super hot dry day only" tires...

DSmith

I liked them over the "super sport track go go go awesome traction for track days and super hot dry day only" tires...

Haha. I cant stand when everyone tells me to buy some "real sport tires" for my bike. I can drag a knee with my sport touring tires and theyll last 4X longer!