FZ8 RaceTech fork spring

KJ75

Hi,

I have an 2011 FZ8 and recently purchased a near new 2013 FZ1 rear shock, that I will be fitting on the weekend, as the current setup is horrible for my weight.
I will also be changing the Stock fork springs with RaceTech 1 Kg/mm ones and putting in slightly thicker oil (7.5 perhaps).
I am about 100kg or 220lbs, and that is the rate RaceTech calculated (.992 to be exact).

I have done all sorts of work on the bike, but not front fork servicing, and simply looking at some pointers.

Is there a guide on how to change oil and spring on the FZ8 ?
I am also under the impression that I need a fork spring tool, and not sure if I need to purchase or there are cheaper alternatives.
How does one lift the front given I only have a rear stand (not centre stand) ?
Has anyone fitted the RaceTech 1 Kg/mm springs and what were your thoughts.

Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

KJ

Last edited:

Umyaya

For the best feedback this post should be for the other forum.. I haven't met one person on here that has run this setup. I have changed my front forks to diff springs and thicker oil.. I wish I would have done the Racetech since all I have heard is it is amazing. Many riders are running that setup on the other site. You will need a fork spring compressor tool.. cost me 50 bucks. You could make one out of PVC pipe but I just spend the 50 bucks and saved the time... I put a jack under the bike and lifted mine. There is a guide but on the other forum. Good luck I hear the RaceTech springs are amazing.... Everyone always goes for the engine mods for more HP.. HP is only a number unless you have a good suspension and rider!

Sinooch

i havent personally done this mod yet but i have looked into it because i want to get a suspension upgrade. Look on youtube. even if its not the exact bike the process should be relatively the same as it would be for another bike

KJ75

I have all the information now and purchased a front lifter. Looks like making the fork compressor is not too hard so I will give it a try.
From what I gathered there are heaps of FZ8 owners running FZ1 shocks. I sent Race Tech an email asking for recommendation regarding oil level and oil thickness.
I will advise once I have done the upgrades.

KJ

Umyaya

Pretty sure race tech runs 5 wt or 7.5 wt in their custom front. I believe you can send your rear shock to them and get that redoNe. Would be amazing to match front and rear.

Vampwood

I have the same springs about to be installed by my mechanic on March 28th, I'll let you know how they are once they're in.

KJ75

Fitted the new FZ1 shock last night, and took me about an hour (red is the new FZ1 shock, black is the old FZ8 shock).
The ride quality has improved especially over rough terrain as the ride is no longer bouncy, as was the case with the stock FZ8 shock.

In two weeks time I will be doing the front forks, going with RaceTech 1KG/mm springs, and slightly thicker oil (13% thicker oil Full Synthetic).

I will be selling the FZ8 shock for $AUD90 plus shipping as it is in excellent condition.

WP_20150321_002.jpgWP_20150321_004.jpg

Vampwood

Did the front swap with the 1kg/mm springs, used 7.5w fork oil. AMAZING, turn in rate is much faster, no uneasiness in the corners, little nose dive, best money I've spent so far on the bike.

KJ75

Finally installed the new RaceTech springs, and it took me 4 or 5 hours (I haven't done it before).
I used Motul Factory Line Light (5w) oil, which is slightly thicker compared to Yamalube. I also added the supplied washers (3 for each spring) for preload, as the new springs are shorter (273mm vs 286mm).
There is no squeaking noise that some others have complained about after fitting RaceTech springs.

The front fork is now much firmer, and on rough roads it is somewhat rough, but on highway driving it is fine.
The biggest improvement is the lack of head diving when doing a heavy brake and recovering from a heavy brake is more stable.

I have to do more riding before I can tell if the improvements are worth it, but it all depends on how much rough roads I come across.

Wolf

Finally installed the new RaceTech springs, and it took me 4 or 5 hours (I haven't done it before).
I used Motul Factory Line Light (5w) oil, which is slightly thicker compared to Yamalube. I also added the supplied washers (3 for each spring) for preload, as the new springs are shorter (273mm vs 286mm).
There is no squeaking noise that some others have complained about after fitting RaceTech springs.

The front fork is now much firmer, and on rough roads it is somewhat rough, but on highway driving it is fine.
The biggest improvement is the lack of head diving when doing a heavy brake and recovering from a heavy brake is more stable.

I have to do more riding before I can tell if the improvements are worth it, but it all depends on how much rough roads I come across.

I bought the 1kg Racetech springs and started to replace them, got as far as putting in the new springs/spacers, but found I couldn't compress the spring enough to be able to get the spring holder thing in place. Even when I put the stock springs back, I can't compress them enough. Think I'm just going to take the forks & springs to the local shop and pay them to do it. :(

Using this compressor kit: Fork Spring Compressor Kit

(2012 FZ8)