fz8 performance mods

Rhyno54

Hello all, I just recently purchased a used 2011 fz8 and i'm looking to get help/answers. i'm looking to get a full exhaust system for my bike and, so far the only two i found were the graves and the akropovic exhaust system. What kind of horsepower and torque increases am i looking at and of course which one has better performance, durability, customer reviews etc. Also what other mods would i need to do, like say aftermarket intake, ECU tuning, and/or any other mods to make sure the bike runs properly. Thanks for the help.

jmsandy77

Hello all, I just recently purchased a used 2011 fz8 and i'm looking to get help/answers. i'm looking to get a full exhaust system for my bike and, so far the only two i found were the graves and the akropovic exhaust system. What kind of horsepower and torque increases am i looking at and of course which one has better performance, durability, customer reviews etc. Also what other mods would i need to do, like say aftermarket intake, ECU tuning, and/or any other mods to make sure the bike runs properly. Thanks for the help.

R6 Throttle Tube, Lars Air Box Mod, K&N Air Filter, ECU Flash or PC5 (Turbo Joe Tuned ECU Flash is Only $100, I found it a better way to go), Better Levers and Grips, -1 on the front sprocket Gearing, SS Brake Lines, and a Slip On

If you've got the $1k plus after the above THEN do full exhaust. I'm sure others will negate me but for the couple of extra HP not worth the $.

These are just my opinions of upgrades to do in no particular order.

pigdog

comfort, performance in no particular order. come on. straight lines crooked lines, spend the money on susspension

Sinooch

i cant speak from experience for the full exhaust set up, but i have seen popularity with the full graves system and the lars air box mod and running the jumbo map with it. and incase you didnt know the jumbo map was a map for a PCV that seems to be very popular.

Also, definitely do the R6 throttle tube. for such a simple mod wit makes the world of a difference. and it only cost like 20 dollars or so and thats with new grips

Rhyno54

When I bought the bike the previous owner had already installed frame sliders, tail tidy kit, renthal street fighter bars, puig fly-screen, rear wheel spindles(if that's what they're called) and a Two Brothers Black Series slip-on exhaust, sorry i forgot to mention it before. So if i decided to go with a full exhaust system, k&n hp air filter and a turbo joe tuned ecu flash, what kind of hp and torque should i expect to see like 10-20 hp. kinda wanna keep it simple with intake and exhaust for now

Last edited:

Umyaya

You could also just get arrow headers to make it a full. Since yours is a 2011 I highly suggest a suspension upgrade. I rode mine stock and remember every sweeper i hit i had a little doubt in my mind. Hyperpro is worth it. Provides progressive fork springs and rear . Easy install. I contemplated doing fz1 internals but for streetriding my setup has been fine. Throw in a k and n filter and for the airbox mod i wouldn't cut the entire bottom out like i did....

Rhyno54

thanks for the input fellas really appreciate it, so for now i've decided to go with the k&n air filter since i all ready have the two brothers slip on, when i get the air filter put in i'm gonna send my ECU to turbo joe to get it flashed hopefully that will get some power increase. Has anyone on this forum done the same and tell if there is any noticeable power increase with this setup. thanks again

Umyaya

thanks for the input fellas really appreciate it, so for now i've decided to go with the k&n air filter since i all ready have the two brothers slip on, when i get the air filter put in i'm gonna send my ECU to turbo joe to get it flashed hopefully that will get some power increase. Has anyone on this forum done the same and tell if there is any noticeable power increase with this setup. thanks again

Looks like that may be the setup for the jumbo map? May consider airbox mod?

jmsandy77

See my review here. This should help.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/4562-like-different-bike-only-$200.html

Keach

I have a generic Flashtune ecu flash, slip on, kn filter, airbox trim, and r6 throttle tube. Everything about the bike is better after the flash. Bike is definitely quicker and more smooth. There is a noticeable increase in power. Nothing totally crazy but definitely very noticeable and totally worth the money. I'm considering arrow headers but that's a good hunk of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhyno54

Thanks again for all the input really appreciate fellas, picked up my k&n air filter today and went to change it out only to find out the previous owner had already put a K&N in, so i'll be returning the one i bought lol. You mentioned Keach along with others on this forum talking about an air box mod/air box trim, what exactly is that might I ask, since this is my first motorcycle so this is unfamiliar to me. Is getting the R6 throttle tube worth it? and what are the advantages of getting a different throttle tube? Since i already have the slip-on exhaust and the k&n air filter i'm definitley getting my ECU flashed/tuned. I know that with this bike as others have mentioned that between 4/4.5-6,000 rpm's the bike for reason has a drop in power and torque then picks up again after 6 grand, i saw some stock dyno's on the bike and it clearly shows it, so i'm hoping the ECU flash/tune along air filer and slip on will eliminate that.

Umyaya

Ya the r6 tube is nice. It just takes less of a turn to reach wide open throttle. The airbod mod is where you trim the area under the k and n filter so more air can come through. Some people argue it works and some argue it isn't worth it. I had that flat spot at 4 to 5k in the rpm and it was eliminated when i installed a full exhaust. I assume the flash will help this. Also if this is your first bike I would suggest focusing more on good riding techniques and developing street skills!

Keach

Yeah the power dip was definitely reduced after the flash. I wouldn't say it's gone but it is less pronounced and noticeable than before. The r6 throttle tube is 100% worth the 20 bucks. Probably one of the most noticeable things you can change for the money. As for the airbox mod do some searches and decide for yourself. I just trimmed a second hole. Not sure it did anything for me but I did not notice any ill effects. Here is a pic of what I did. Many others cut out the whole section under the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk