Engine vibration

trahajopro86

I have an engine vibration that seems to be getting worse as time goes by. There isn't really any noise that I can hear associated with it, but that could be I just cant hear it over the normal engine / exhaust sounds.

2013 Stock engine and exhaust
approx 3500 miles
I can pull in the clutch on the freeway, and then rev the engine (without load) and feel the vibration, so it doesn't seem to be a drivetrain issue. Also, I can get the same vibration at a stand still.

Vibration seems to be in the 3k - 6k range, but that could be that I just don't feel right revving the engine at a constant that high without load.

The bike has never been down, or even ridden hard. If anything, I 'lug' it too much.

Ideas?

-Tracy

JSP

Administrator
Well, stop lugging it for one. That can be worse than riding it hard.

So no noise, just a feel?

You are still under warranty, maybe just have Yamaha take a feel and see what they see.

Something could just be lose and is vibrating but not making any noise. Not sure. Where do you feel it? The bars, the pegs?

Marthy

Drive it like you stole it!

Cruising on a open freeway here at 75 MPH... the engine spin 6500 RPM. 7K @ 80MPH. Good thing you don't ride a FZ6R! LOL

I know the FZ8 got a bit more pull on the bottom but try to keep it over 5K when accelerating...

villhelmromero

Cruising on a open freeway here at 75 MPH... the engine spin 6500 RPM. 7K @ 80MPH. Good thing you don't ride a FZ6R! LOL

Is that the speed you're getting in sixth gear on the FZ8? I'm getting 83 @6000 in sixth on my all stock 8. anyhoo just curious

trahajopro86

I'm curious about the various RPM specs quoted above. I am assuming that the FZ8's are NOT 2013's? Didn't they drop from 6 speed to 5 speed in 2013? I was cruising in to work this morning and noted

4th Gear 6200rpm @ 80MPH
5th Gear 5700rpm @ 80MPH

It seems my engine vibration goes away around 6000rpm, but is quite horrible 4500-5000. I think I will take it in for a check because it seems to be getting worse.

Until then, I guess the consensus is, quit driving it like an old man? :D

-Tracy

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
I swore I read that somewhere, Now I'm gonna have to count when I shift on the way home. I could have sworn it was a 5-speed. :eek:

Sport bikes haven't been 5-speeds in a long time. I don't see them going backwards. Lot of cruisers are converting to 6-speed as well, it is just over all better. Allows for more road speed with less engine speed.

JSP

Administrator
Sport bikes haven't been 5-speeds in a long time. I don't see them going backwards. Lot of cruisers are converting to 6-speed as well, it is just over all better. Allows for more road speed with less engine speed.

My Bandit has 5 and I didn't realize it at first haha. WTF? SHIFT!!!! oh... Luckily its not geared too crazy and its got a fairly low 5th RPM. Just muscle memory trying for that last gear. :D

Marthy

My Bandit has 5 and I didn't realize it at first haha. WTF? SHIFT!!!! oh... Luckily its not geared too crazy and its got a fairly low 5th RPM. Just muscle memory trying for that last gear. :D

Event after 3+ years and over 42K miles... I'm still looking for that 7th gear sometime. :eek:

pigdog

i ride like an old man because i am one. i like the fact that i can shift into 6th gear at 45mph & leave it there all the way to top end. as far as vibration that wasn't there before, let the dealer know & let them take care of it.

trahajopro86

i ride like an old man because i am one. i like the fact that i can shift into 6th gear at 45mph & leave it there all the way to top end. as far as vibration that wasn't there before, let the dealer know & let them take care of it.

I took it to the Yamaha dealer in San Jose and they said there is nothing wrong, and that is "just the nature of the beast". I don't buy that at all. It was NOT like this 2000 miles ago. I have an appointment with the dealer I bought it from (I didn't go there first because I moved and it is not very close anymore), and on the phone he said that he has heard complaints about that. He said a throttle body sync may help, but I don't see how.

I'll post that results in a week or two on whether it helped or not

DSmith

Hmm, can you expand on this? I tend to keep my RPMs low, like 3k most of the time. I notice a ton of vibration in certain higher RPM ranges on this bike.

My cruising speed is around 4500rpms. These bikes arent like Harleys, they like the higher rpms