Engine Valves

Umyaya

Do any of you guys do your own engine valve service at 25k? Dealers here charge sooo much. If you do, do you need to buy a specific schim kit or special FZ8 kits.

rug_burn

I haven't even looked, but I have 25K on mine now, too... The valves are the shim adjustment type? I had an old Fiat that had those; I never did have to adjust them, and never could hear any valve noise.

My moto is running fine, I wasn't going to do anything to it, except maybe get a new front tire pretty soon...

Back in the day, the thing was to find a dealer that would let you swap shims with him to get the right ones. Takes a little measuring and bookkeeping to have to keep from going back again and again. Maybe that's part of the reason I never did adjust those valves on that Fiat. Too much like borrowing stuff from somebody I don't know.

Umyaya

So you aren't going to get them done? Anyone on here get them done at 25... how off were they?
I haven't even looked, but I have 25K on mine now, too... The
valves are the shim adjustment type? I had an old Fiat that had those; I never did have to adjust them, and never could hear any valve noise.

My moto is running fine, I wasn't going to do anything to it, except maybe get a new front tire pretty soon...

Back in the day, the thing was to find a dealer that would let you swap shims with him to get the right ones. Takes a little measuring and bookkeeping to have to keep from going back again and again. Maybe that's part of the reason I never did adjust those valves on that Fiat. Too much like borrowing stuff from somebody I don't know.