Downshifting Problem

DSmith

Hey guys. Been having a problem with my FZ8 downshifting for a couple weeks now. When i go to downshift (5th-4th or 4th-3rd mostly) Ill pull the clutch in, give it a revmatch, then push down on the shifter and release the clutch while applying throttle.. All of this pretty quickly to make for a smooth shift.

Havent had any problems downshifting like this untill recently. When i downshift, the shift lever will click down about half way then click down fully into gear. Almost like it gets stuck trying to find the lower gear. So theres a sort of pause in the downshift. It doesnt do this all the time but its been doing it enough to become annoying and make me believe that something isnt right. Ive tried not rev matching and it hasnt made too much of a difference. Any opinions? clutch problem, adjustments? The shifter linkage almost feels like its getting hung up on something but ive checked that and it moves freely when the bike it stationary. Any ideas will help. Thanks

JSP

Administrator
Change oil, proper level, check clutch lever freeplay, etc. Clutch cable may be frayed inside since you feel a hang up? Have you lubed your cable?

DSmith

thanks for the tips guys. oil is freshly changed but its right at the top of the sight glass. i do exactly 3 qts every change and thats always where it ends up, maybe i should drain a little out. I lubed the clutch cable not to long ago as well. But i did tighten up the cable some and that seems to help. I guess I was used to riding with too much slop in the clutch lever.