doing a headlight retrofit to my 2012

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
I got the e55r...i think only thing is right now im having trouble gluing the headlight housing back together... it seems like its hitting somewhere... I had to stop to go to work...but I'm.about to give it another go..

What projector did you get? I think I know why you are having issues...

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Picture wire..
I'm guessing there is some way to mod the shroud to where it sits deeper into the projector possibly.

Oh okay. Really, that isn't going to be possible. You need to move the entire projector back into the assembly. This is where things get hairy. Most of the time (cars with non threaded shaft mount projectors) you just cut the reflector bowl, and use steel stick and epoxy to secure the projector into the reflector...but with a motorcycle, it isn't going to be possible. I have successfully retrofitted an FX-R projector in an FZ1N headlight (more shallow than FZ8 headlight). You have to end up cutting a bunch off of the back of the housing, create another flange that is bigger, and all kinds of things. Now you see why people just have us do it!

Its the mini d2s

The new 3.0? That is most likely why. They are larger than the Mini H1 projectors, which I have found out from experience are too long. for the FZ8

Last edited:

tony412k

Oh okay. Really, that isn't going to be possible. You need to move the entire projector back into the assembly. This is where things get hairy. Most of the time (cars with non threaded shaft mount projectors) you just cut the reflector bowl, and use steel stick and epoxy to secure the projector into the reflector...but with a motorcycle, it isn't going to be possible. I have successfully retrofitted an FX-R projector in an FZ1N headlight (more shallow than FZ8 headlight). You have to end up cutting a bunch off of the back of the housing, create another flange that is bigger, and all kinds of things. Now you see why people just have us do it!

The new 3.0? That is most likely why. They are larger than the Mini H1 projectors, which I have found out from experience are too long. for the FZ8

Yes its the 3.0..I contacted TRS and they told me to cut the reflector housing like u were saying.

What is the reason it would not work on a motorcycle?

nalexander1982

HID headlight for 2011 FZ8

Hey I have the first gen 2011 FZ8 just paid it off...ready to spend some money on mods. I'm interested in a HID headlight with some red accents I have an email into affordable HID for a quote. My questions for you guys out there is what is the cost? And, can i ship my stock OEM headlight assembly to him to retro fit? Unfortunately I live in North Idaho where there isn't many mod shops so im forced to use online sources...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
trust me go with Chad at AHR. thats Rabbitman109. Great, cheap fast easy (less than $300 i think?")

tony412k

I would guess vibration and clearance behind the headlight bucket

it will only need to be moved back maybe a 1/4 of an inch?? if that i think. ill post up some pics of when i was test fitting it...

idk but im getting anxious to finish it but i wont have any time to even mess with it till possibly sunday but monday for sure because im off work..

tony412k

the cutoff line looks pretty good. Its really bright..Cant wit to have it on the road again. feels like forever since ive road it haha..and its just a few days..i commute to work almost every day unless its super windy or crazy rainy.

Woody146

Banned
Hey I have the first gen 2011 FZ8 just paid it off...ready to spend some money on mods. I'm interested in a HID headlight with some red accents I have an email into affordable HID for a quote. My questions for you guys out there is what is the cost? And, can i ship my stock OEM headlight assembly to him to retro fit? Unfortunately I live in North Idaho where there isn't many mod shops so im forced to use online sources...

Go with AHR....the more lights the more it costs!:eek: I'm from California and I sent him the whole headlight..signals and all(I tried to take apart but I'm horrible with electronics) and he sent me back the gloriousness that's on the front of my bike which I get compliments on left and right:D

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Yeah, it would have to be moved back...and when the clearance behind the headlight is already tight on the FZ8, it could prove to be difficult by the time that you put it on, you may have an issue with mounting the headlight back on.

I shouldn't say that it is impossible, but when there are much easier avenues, it makes it a tough choice.

I have been busy this past weekend, and I haven't gotten a chance to check back in. Have you been able to get it all fitted up and working?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie

Sorry for the delay in response, very busy lately. I e-mailed you back the other day, let me know if you have any other questions.

tony412k

Yeah, it would have to be moved back...and when the clearance behind the headlight is already tight on the FZ8, it could prove to be difficult by the time that you put it on, you may have an issue with mounting the headlight back on.

I shouldn't say that it is impossible, but when there are much easier avenues, it makes it a tough choice.

I have been busy this past weekend, and I haven't gotten a chance to check back in. Have you been able to get it all fitted up and working?

almost.. i cut out the reflector housing a going to epoxy it up today... i figuured ive waited this long to put it back together might as well take my time and make sure its done right.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
almost.. i cut out the reflector housing a going to epoxy it up today... i figuured ive waited this long to put it back together might as well take my time and make sure its done right.

Yeah, I have half finished personal retrofits just sitting around, because I don't have the time to do them right. Hoping that could change eventually. Sounds like you have it under control. Let me know if you need any advice.