Deepest sounding slip-on muffler?

Bajaedition

I would like to point out that loud pipes are not a safety feature, in fact they scare people who react in ways that is not safe toward riders

having pointed that out

I will say I love the sound of a nice pipe, and the loudness is a cool feature.

her in CA we have a problem though, if ticketed, we need to be able to go in with the stock setup to show we fixed it.

soo

I need a slip on can I can use without having to remap. I also love the stock torque curve on this bike, I am on it at 4 gs and it just stays there all the way up.

sooo

I keep following these threads looking for something I may never find

:rolleyes:

decooney

You guys be the judge.

hutru01,

Hard to tell since they are kind of similar. One bike is outside, the other inside in a garage. I'm re-playing both on a speaker/sub system on my home computer. If it were not for the extra echo in the garage with the V&H, they actually sound closer to me than I would have thought. Would be good to hear your V&H setup outside, after the bike warmed up a little :D Seems the V&H and Graves are both deep sounding which is cool. Could be my hearing, but the Graves might even be a tad quieter? Thanks.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
You might be able to find some more videos on you tube. if i get some time this week, I will shoot a quick video of my V&H.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I would like to point out that loud pipes are not a safety feature, in fact they scare people who react in ways that is not safe toward riders

This scenario has never happened to me. In fact, I have had cars start to come over in my lane and a blip of the throttle and they move right back over into their lane. Personally, I think its better to be heard. The only time the Vance & Hines pipe would be considered loud enough to scare someone would be in the upper RPM range (7K and up)

A Harley with straight pipes is what I could consider too loud and a hazard to others on the road.

To each their own I guess.

decooney

You might be able to find some more videos on you tube. if i get some time this week, I will shoot a quick video of my V&H.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks hutru01,

Your video was actually one of the better ones on Youtube of the V&H setup. Actually, I noticed it early on before you posted it. That would be great if you could take a video clip outside. If its not too much to ask, could you hold the throttle steady at different rpm ranges with the CSONE so we can see how loud it is at steady throttle? Again, thanks for your help and time. Appreciate it.

Bajaedition

This scenario has never happened to me. In fact, I have had cars start to come over in my lane and a blip of the throttle and they move right back over into their lane. Personally, I think its better to be heard. The only time the Vance & Hines pipe would be considered loud enough to scare someone would be in the upper RPM range (7K and up)

A Harley with straight pipes is what I could consider too loud and a hazard to others on the road.

good for you

most people when they hear loud pipes jerk, and then jerk back, not good for the bike that has moved in

xXAvroArrowXx

good for you

most people when they hear loud pipes jerk, and then jerk back, not good for the bike that has moved in

Wow. Fun police. ⬆🚓⬆ If I were that scared to ride & enjoy my bike set up the way I wanted I'd just stay home watching TV.

It's not about how loud. In my mind, there's no way making your self easier seen & HEARD works out worse. The same little old lady that "jerks" towards your lane and back again will do that when she doesn't see nor hear you will do the same at the last moment too when you appear in her mirrors.

Instead of indulging in self flagellation & piety over those who prefer their bike not so quiet, why not just say: "loud pipes aren't my thing"?

We're all allowed to do as we please, and if I want to justify $600 on pipes as a safety advantage, why should I be thought of as lesser than those who don't consider them any advantage?

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

Last edited:

Marthy

Easy with all that jerking around! LOL

There's 2 school of tough about loud pipe, and both side have good point. One thing sure, being heard save my butt at least once month. I have the DBK installed and at cruising speed I can barely hear it unless I accelerate. The problem there's always those few who push it a little further... and get to a point where it's too loud.

xXAvroArrowXx

good for you

Also. Anything I've seen that's "Baja Edition" *ahem your username* has mods to the 9's.... Including a rip roaring exhaust system. Kinda contradictory isn't it'? 😜

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

Rotaryknight

Same here. Within the month that I had the FZ8, I almost got sideswiped in the city 5 times. Before this, I rode an R6 with a Two brothers exhaust and never ever had any close encounters like I did with the FZ8.
It may not be because of the exhaust, but the R6 was damn loud. Riding in my car next to it while my friend rode it, I can hear it with the windows up, and he is three cars behind me.

Though it positively will not make you safe, but it is definitely better to be heard then to not hear you coming up.

[]V[]addog

I understand both schools of thought.
I like having a nice rumble when i want... not at all times. Like mentioned, after a high RPM it should scream, but if I'm just heading around town, I don;t want to bother people.
Same way on my car... I want it to be noticed if I step on the petal, but not just driving around town.

decooney

Other than added hearing loss, one thing I don't like about having a super loud bike is you can't hear other bikes sneaking alongside or large trucks sneaking up behind you. Most of my sports cars and bikes have been super loud, and the nicest thing I have enjoyed about the stock FZ8 exhaust is no fatigue. People tend to forget about it, but you can become very fatigued after doing a super long 8 hour day ride just because of the constant noise thrashing your ears and brain. Being fatigued while riding for long periods is also a notable risk to consider.

This is why I am trying to look for something deep, only moderately loud over a stock muffler.

[]V[]addog

agreed, i was pretty surprised how godo the stock can sounded above 7000, I just want a better looking can, and ever so slightly louder, with no drone at constant respectable speeds.

e11charlie

I recently got the DanMoto Jisu. I didn't get the DB killer. As it sits now its not too loud. I really like the tone that the Danmotos produce. I've heard one with the DB killer which still had a good tone but too quiet for me. Still was louder than stock.

decooney

I recently got the DanMoto Jisu. I didn't get the DB killer. As it sits now its not too loud. I really like the tone that the Danmotos produce. I've heard one with the DB killer which still had a good tone but too quiet for me. Still was louder than stock.

Charlie,
Interesting. Seems like an affordable option to try. I don't mind the shape either. The end caps are rivoted on, how do you insert the DB killer and is the DB killer an added cost or can it be ordered equipped with the DB killer?

b-eock

IIRC, the DB killer slips in at the exhaust outlet by the cat. Or the inlet of the slipon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Marthy

IIRC, the DB killer slips in at the exhaust outlet by the cat. Or the inlet of the slipon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Their DBK is quite nicely made. It goes inside the inlet... no hardware required! You can get it for $15.00 on there website

decooney

Their DBK is quite nicely made. It goes inside the inlet... no hardware required! You can get it for $15.00 on there website

Just to confirm, are you/we still referring to the DanMoto Jisu?

I watched a few videos (other bikes) and read on a few forums the slip-on might be freeflow enough to cause the need for remapping. One bike stalled at idle running too lean but this was NOT an FZ8. I want to be sure the DB killer will cause enough restriction on the FZ8 to prevent having to remap the fuel delivery system. The more refernces and confirmation the better. Thanks.

Marthy

Just to confirm, are you/we still referring to the DanMoto Jisu?

I watched a few videos (other bikes) and read on a few forums the slip-on might be freeflow enough to cause the need for remapping. One bike stalled at idle running too lean but this was NOT an FZ8. I want to be sure the DB killer will cause enough restriction on the FZ8 to prevent having to remap the fuel delivery system. The more refernces and confirmation the better. Thanks.

You should be fine with the DBK. Your biggest issue will be to order one from them... they won't ship to Cali. The tree huger have been quite active lately. There a few exhaust company that got there a$$ ream $$$! Including Ducati that did some "not so conform" upgrade/flash to street bike. $4500 fine per bike...

xXAvroArrowXx

Got any ideas..? I'm looking for a high quality slip-on muffler with a DEEP sound, not too loud. Something with a tad more flow and nice sound. Plan to keep cat on. Don't want to have to remap; just need a nice deep sounding muffler.

Yosh?, Vance & Hines?, Graves? Any recommendations? Thanks.

I found out that the V&H has an insert installed out of the box. When removed it gives the pipe a deeper rumble.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8