Deepest sounding slip-on muffler?

decooney

Got any ideas..? I'm looking for a high quality slip-on muffler with a DEEP sound, not too loud. Something with a tad more flow and nice sound. Plan to keep cat on. Don't want to have to remap; just need a nice deep sounding muffler.

Yosh?, Vance & Hines?, Graves? Any recommendations? Thanks.

cambo

Avid Rider
I can't count the number of exhausts clips I've listen to on youtube over and over and over again.

By far the deepest sounding tone I've heard belongs to a company called SP Engineering. They make a can called a "Big Bore" and I was on the fence about buying it. I loved the look, but the tone was much too low for me. So I went with the other SP Engineering option. Keep in mind, their aren't any sample clips with this can on an fz8...I was basing the tone off of other similarly CC'd models which sported this big bore can.

It costs a bit less than your mainstream exhausts...at about $390...and I can vouch for the quality craftsmanship. I was really impressed with mine.

Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-FZ8-...e_Parts_13&hash=item3f24b24266#ht_2176wt_1161

Anyway, my :2cents:

RoadKill

my r77 sounds deep and loud but not too loud with the dbkiller out. it sounds perfect to me but listening to exhaust on youtube will not let you hear how they really sound.

master paper clip

Actually I was considering the SP engineering bIg bore muffler, made a raspy ass zx6r sound throaty as hell, can only image the glorious noise it would make out of the fz8

Tango59

I'm kinda warming up to this one (tri-oval) but the shipping is a bit much. A buddy here locally is from the UK and might could find it cheaper. Brings up a question tho... I really like the shorty look. What's required to shorten or eliminate the mid-pipe and would it require mapping changes ?

Last edited:

xXAvroArrowXx

I'm kinda warming up to this one (tri-oval) but the shipping is a bit much. A buddy here locally is from the UK and might could find it cheaper. Brings up a question tho... I really like the shorty look. What's required to shorten or eliminate the mid-pipe and would it require mapping changes ?

Sure the expansion chamber is short but the Fore Pipe looks too long. It looks to be the same overall length as any other. They could've made it a semi-mid ship pipe. A bit off putting IMHO.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

decooney

my r77 sounds deep and loud but not too loud with the dbkiller out. it sounds perfect to me but listening to exhaust on youtube will not let you hear how they really sound.

Seriously considering the Yosh R77 or Vance & Hines CS One Blackout. I've ran only Yoshimura and V&H exhaust on my street bikes, and tend to go back to either based on their consistent design and build quality standards. The Yoshi units do sound nice. Some of the older V&H stuff use to sound great on my Harleys, but don't know for sure on a sport bike. Guess I need to try it. I too found listening to Youtube videos is not capture the whole frequency spectrum or reality of the low frequency sound. Youtube sure accentuates the raspy slip-ons though.

- Definitely not looking for raspy. Going the opposite direction.
- Not into the shorty loud mufflers. Sort of like the deep stealth sound.

Might try this V&H CS One if I don't find something else I like better. Anyone here ever tried one on your stock FZ8?

OR

The Yoshimura R77D slip-on sure looks great too! Which one is deeper sounding? I'm thinking the Yosh will be.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
Graves....I have it..sounds amazing...deep and raspy...next to gsxr 600's with 2 bros and yoshimura r77 and the fz is much deeper...next to r1 with stock muffler modifications, sounds similar but much cleaner

Rotaryknight

Pretty sure gutting the cat will also make a deeper tone for the exhaust. I only based this on cars that I had done to. Not sure about motorcycles since I never gutted one before

decooney

Graves....I have it..sounds amazing...deep and raspy...next to gsxr 600's with 2 bros and yoshimura r77 and the fz is much deeper...next to r1 with stock muffler modifications, sounds similar but much cleaner

Woody,
Thanks for the note on the Graves. Seems like a good value too. The longer version Graves slip-on is definitely a consideration. Would like to keep the cat in as I don't want to remap. Will look again online at the Graves. If its deeper sounding than the R77D on an FZ8, maybe I'll try the Graves. thx.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I have the Vance and Hines CS One and its fairly quiet from idle to around 3-4K rpms, but after that it is a pretty deep exhaust note. It doesn't sound raspy at all. Personally, I think the V&H matches the bike the best (assuming yours is black).

xXAvroArrowXx

I have the Vance and Hines CS One and its fairly quiet from idle to around 3-4K rpms, but after that it is a pretty deep exhaust note. It doesn't sound raspy at all. Personally, I think the V&H matches the bike the best (assuming yours is black).

Are you running it with or without the insert? I'm curious, just picked mine up but won't be hone to install until Monday. *anxious*

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

Last edited:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Are you running it with or without the insert? I'm curious, just picked mine up but won't be hone to install until Monday. *anxious*

I did not install an insert on my V&H can. I prefer to have a bit of noise for listening pleasure in addition to being a safety feature. :)

Last edited:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
By the way, the V&H exhaust at idle is louder than stock but not obnoxious like some exhausts.

decooney

I did not install an insert on my V&H can. I prefer to have a bit of noise for listening pleasure in addition to being a safety feature. :)

Good to know. On prior V&H systems on other bikes, I liked the sound with the insert in, usually a less raspy and deeper sound. Nice to have the option to try it both ways. They had a quiet street baffle and comp baffle I used on my Harley. The comp baffle was fun for a minute, but it was nice to go back to the normal quiet-street baffle for that low frequency growl. IF the V&H exhaust for the FZ8 is designed similarly, I might give it a tray. Kind of on the fence between the Graves and V&H setup.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
You guys be the judge.

Graves
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-sWA-Dmh9A]Yamaha FZ8 Graves Sport exhaust sound. - YouTube[/ame]

Vance and Hines
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuJGAFaPP5o]Vance & Hines CS One Blackout on my 2012 Yamaha FZ8 - YouTube[/ame]