Dealership overfilled the oil during 1st service.

Bram

Went to the dealership to do the first maintenance at 1000km.

after riding 300km, i noticed that there was little bit of oil leaking from some seals. and at the bottom of the carter, there was green residu.

I checked the oil level and it is FAR above the max of the glass.
my question: is there any damage to the bike?

So far there are no seals pushed out. only a little bit of oil around seals.
I'm going to let out some oil to meet specifications.

Should I be worried about the seals?
can I just let out some oil and no harm done? or do my seals need replacement?

The bike still runs fine though.

thanks for any response.

ssky0078

Did you check on the center stand? The window is the same as in the Fz1 and if you check when the bike is on both wheels it will look high. If it is up on the center stand it is perfect.

edit: it still doesn't mean the dealer didn't mess up. If oil is coming out of the seals, that is probably not good.

Last edited:

Bram

Did you check on the center stand? The window is the same as in the Fz1 and if you check when the bike is on both wheels it will look high. If it is up on the center stand it is perfect.

edit: it still doesn't mean the dealer didn't mess up. If oil is coming out of the seals, that is probably not good.

The bike doesn't have a center stand. When the bike is at the side stand, the oil level is at the minimum mark on the glass.
When I bring the bike upright on both wheels in perfect balance, the oil level jumps way above the MAX indication.

I just called the dealership. Tonight they will look at it.
Will keep you guys informed.

I hope no seals have been blown or internal damage to the engine.

JSP

Administrator
As far as I remembered on mine, you should not see ANY oil in the glass on the side stand. Then standing upright, right up to the max line or between min/max.

Since they did it, take it back and let them fix it so there is a record for any future issues.

villhelmromero

they did the exact same thing on mine. So I ended up emptying all the oil and then putting back only 3.3 quarts of what was there. there were 4 quarts in mine. luckily I caught it within 2 days.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
so that same type of thing happened to me. After a few 100 miles i noticed dirt gathering at the seals at the ends of the cams. i thought I was going nuts, but what I had heard (and believe myself) is that the break in period is for this. it CAN happen that you will see small "leaks" but the plastic and rubber type seals etc. need time to settle. i dont have this problem anymore, not after my first oilchange.

as far as the oil level there is a specific way to check it that i think thses guys mentioned as well.

-run bike till warm.
-turn of bike, and center the bike (rear stand,center stand, hold it if thats all you have I guess)
-then read you oil level.

i hope that helps

Bram

I went to the dealership and showed them the oil level.

the boss of the place told me that it can't damage the bike.

me: So why are my seals leaking oil? doesn't it mean the pressure inside the engine is to high because of too much oil?

He: The carter is high enough, it won't damage the bike. And this engine doesn't work with pressured oil. The oil pump pumps oil from the bottom to the top. So it's better to overfill than to underfill. But if you want piece of mind, we can drain some.

I thought to myself that it's total bullshit.
So they drained some.

When the bike it now balanced on the 2 wheels, the oil level is again above max indication. Took it for a 50km ride, and now the problem seems to be gone.

What is the correct way to read the oil?
How long does the engine has to be off before reading the oil?
The longer you wait, the higher the level get's.

9 Lives

I went to the dealership and showed them the oil level.

the boss of the place told me that it can't damage the bike.

me: So why are my seals leaking oil? doesn't it mean the pressure inside the engine is to high because of too much oil?

He: The carter is high enough, it won't damage the bike. And this engine doesn't work with pressured oil. The oil pump pumps oil from the bottom to the top. So it's better to overfill than to underfill. But if you want piece of mind, we can drain some.

I thought to myself that it's total bullshit.
So they drained some.

When the bike it now balanced on the 2 wheels, the oil level is again above max indication. Took it for a 50km ride, and now the problem seems to be gone.

What is the correct way to read the oil?
How long does the engine has to be off before reading the oil?
The longer you wait, the higher the level get's.

First of all the guy at the dealership is wrong, it is a pressure system same idea as a car. It feeds the crank and rod bearings, the connecting rods are 2 piece and have babbit style bearings.. He is thinking of engines that have one piece connecting rods and a pressed crank which is not pressurized. Maybe suggest to him that he read the maintenance manual before giving false information. No matter what the cause of the seals leaking the dealership is on the hook to fix it with the factory warranty.

To answer your questions.

1. The bike should be centered upright and the oil level should be in the sight glass, think of it the same way as a dipstick, bottom of glass time to top up, middle of glass between the marks on a dipstick, top of the glass, the top fill line on a dipstick.

2. There is no prescribed time but you should wait for 10 - 15 minutes to allow for the oil to drain back to the oil pan. I normally check when its been sitting overnight before I start the engine.

Last edited:

Bram

Thanks for the reply.

I've found a tutorial online about the oil replacement.
Fill

step 8: "Fill the right amount of oil according to your owner's manual. In this case the manual specifies 3.28 US qts. After filling the bike, turn on the engine and check the oil level through the sight glass. Add more bit more oil if needed"

He checks the oil level with the engine turned on?? But when it's turned on, the oil level drops. I'm confused now. :confused:

ssky0078

Thanks for the reply.

I've found a tutorial online about the oil replacement.
Fill

step 8: "Fill the right amount of oil according to your owner's manual. In this case the manual specifies 3.28 US qts. After filling the bike, turn on the engine and check the oil level through the sight glass. Add more bit more oil if needed"

He checks the oil level with the engine turned on?? But when it's turned on, the oil level drops. I'm confused now. :confused:

The oil drops because it is circulating through the engine. stop and let it sit 10 minutes again for all the oil to collect low. If you don't have a center stand you may consider getting swing arm spools and a rear stand

BTW I've sat and watched the oil fill once and it was about 6 minutes before it seemed to stop, then a little more came in and there was no change at 8 minutes.

9 Lives

This is from the Owners manual.

1. Place the vehicle on a level surface and hold it in an upright position. A slight tilt to the side can result if a false reading. (reason for center stand or rear wheel stand)

2. Start the engine, warm it up for several minutes, and then turn it OFF.

3. Wait a few minutes until the oil settles, and then check the oil level through the check window.

TheFarmer

Check oil when it's settled. 10 minutes as ssky0078 states sounds about right. Overfilling is bad, I'd rather underfill than overfill. The noobers at the dealership saying it being overfilled is ok is stupid. Tell him to put 15 quarts in his face and report back.

portenio78

Just had the same happen to me. On the way home, I noticed the shifting was not as smooth and it would sometimes "rev hang" when throttle blipped in neutral. Got home and let it cool down for about 10 minutes, stood the bike up perfectly balanced up right....and I could not see the bottom of the oil. Its way above the glass somewhere. I will let some out and report back.

9 Lives

Just had the same happen to me. On the way home, I noticed the shifting was not as smooth and it would sometimes "rev hang" when throttle blipped in neutral. Got home and let it cool down for about 10 minutes, stood the bike up perfectly balanced up right....and I could not see the bottom of the oil. Its way above the glass somewhere. I will let some out and report back.

Its hard to tell the exact level without a center stand or wheel stand. Just a slight tilt to the left or right will move the level mark quite a bit. If you put in 3 quarts/liters when doing the oil change with new filter it gives you the proper level.