Damaged Radiator?

Darksabre

Sometimes I hate buying used things. Regardless, I was further inspecting my bike tonight and found that the right radiator fan would not spin freely by hand. Hmm. Started to undo the radiator bolts (noticed the left side didn't even have its bolt on) and saw this on the right :

Mm yes... I do believe I have found out why the fan won't turn. I checked the coolant in the tank and it is fine. There have been no leaks either. Should I try and use this radiator, or does it look ruined? Worth bending anything back in place?

9 Lives

I wouldn't trust it, a new rad may be expensive but well worth the piece of mind. I wounder how it got bent way up there.

socal

1. what the heck did you do. 2. just replace it, with bikes always minimize risk and replace it, they are not like trucks where you can kinna wing it.

Darksabre

1. what the heck did you do. 2. just replace it, with bikes always minimize risk and replace it, they are not like trucks where you can kinna wing it.

haha...

1 - bought a used bike w/o looking at it well enough.

2 - good call.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Why replace it? If your going to buy a new one, you might as well see if you can repair it, your gonna toss it out anyways right?

As long as it isn't leaking (which you said wasn't)

A. If you can clear the fan and it will spin, it's good......
B. If your coolant temps stay good, who cares......

Example, if you have a leaking fork seal, will you buy new forks? Replace the seals, or try the laminate plastic trick to see if the seal is just clogged up with something......

The difference in 1$. 10$. 100+$.

Just my :2cents:

kawk2fazer

looks like it was dropped...i know cuz thats exactly how mine looked after I dropped mine when someone rear ended me. Same thing...fan didnt turn, but no leaks. But I didnt want to take the chance in case there was any additional hidden damage. Plus in my case the whole radiator was shifted to the left. I ended up buying a new radiator ($265 :()

Darksabre

looks like it was dropped...i know cuz thats exactly how mine looked after I dropped mine when someone rear ended me. Same thing...fan didnt turn, but no leaks. But I didnt want to take the chance in case there was any additional hidden damage. Plus in my case the whole radiator was shifted to the left. I ended up buying a new radiator ($265 :()

Yes, it was indeed dropped. Front tank fairing was cracked on the right, and the headlight has some scrapes on the left side. I'm going to keep an eye on the coolant level and the temperature display.

That sucks though man. Why didn't their insurance cover your radiator/other damages?

kawk2fazer

Yea, def keep an eye on it.

long story short, the other person's story didn't quite match up with mine so it was considered a no-fault incident. Having no police report to back up my story I basically got screwed.

luckily, damage was minimal...rad, bent rear brake pedal, and a scratched bar end/tank cover. The worst part was that the bike wasnt even a week old....damn DMV drivers

Darksabre

Yea, def keep an eye on it.

long story short, the other person's story didn't quite match up with mine so it was considered a no-fault incident. Having no police report to back up my story I basically got screwed.

luckily, damage was minimal...rad, bent rear brake pedal, and a scratched bar end/tank cover. The worst part was that the bike wasnt even a week old....damn DMV drivers

That sucks... :mad: I figured if it was a rear-end collision, there should be no contest as to whose fault it was. I guess there's always ways to get around it :\