Corbin Vs Shad

Umyaya

I am going to be getting an aftermarket seat in the near future... Since the Gold and black Shad seat is no longer available I have been interested in getting the Corbin. Besides looks, Which seat is better in comfort and overall? Or the pros/cons in each?

gufazi

I've owned both. These are my opinions, from what I can think of. My pros are cons for some people, and vice versa. Both are great seats, it just depends on what you want.

Corbin Pros:
  • Leather
  • Has mounting hardware installed
  • More comfortable on longer rides
  • More durable surface
  • Can buy rider / passenger seats separate
  • Neutral seating position
Corbin Cons:
  • Fitment issues
  • Easy to mar surface
  • Has a break-in period
  • Harder seat
  • Feels wider compared to stock

Shad Pros:
  • Better initial comfort
  • No break-in period
  • Perfect fitment
  • Surface easy to maintain
  • Surface resists marring
  • Width feels same stock
Shad Cons:
  • Must use stock seats mounting hardware
  • Less comfy on longer rides
  • Surface easier to tear or puncture
  • Must buy both the passenger and rider seat
  • Slight forward slope compared to stock

Umyaya

I've owned both. These are my opinions, from what I can think of. My pros are cons for some people, and vice versa. Both are great seats, it just depends on what you want.

Corbin Pros:
  • Leather
  • Has mounting hardware installed
  • More comfortable on longer rides
  • More durable surface
  • Can buy rider / passenger seats separate
  • Neutral seating position
Corbin Cons:
  • Fitment issues
  • Easy to mar surface
  • Has a break-in period
  • Harder seat
  • Feels wider compared to stock

Shad Pros:
  • Better initial comfort
  • No break-in period
  • Perfect fitment
  • Surface easy to maintain
  • Surface resists marring
  • Width feels same stock
Shad Cons:
  • Must use stock seats mounting hardware
  • Less comfy on longer rides
  • Surface easier to tear or puncture
  • Must buy both the passenger and rider seat

Great write up.. ahh.. dunno what to choose. Which is more expensive? And what do you mean by the Corbin fitment issues?

I am trying to make the same decision. I am really on the fence as to which one to get. I keep changing my mind. If it was $150 I wouldn't have an issue.

07cobaltLScoupe

i just got my black/grey shad after waiting a few months and i love it so far, i'd say to try and find the coupon code for 10% off and see if it still works

07cobaltLScoupe

long story but to sum it up i originally ordered the black/gold seats which ended up being discontinued right after my order, and with no luck tracking down one that was un-called for i was offered the black/grey seats at a small discount for the confusion on their end. i still wanted the seats in general so i took that offer

Last edited:

Umyaya

long story but to sum it up i originally ordered the black/gold seats which ended up being discontinued right after my order, and with no luck tracking down one that was un-called for i was offered the black/grey seats at a small discount for the confusion on their end. i still wanted the seats in general so i took that offer

I like the Corbin driver seat more than the Shad.. but the passenger seat of the Shad is a lot better looking!

Fazer 8

This would be the deal breaker against the Shad seat for me:

I find the biggest problem with the stock seat is its forward slope which pretty much forces you forward to sit on the narrow part of the seat - it's almost impossible to comfortably keep your ass back on the widest part of the seat. So even more forward sloping just wouldn't work.

Sounds like the Shad and the Top Sellerie seats are out for me. My alternatives appear to be the Corbin (nice that I can get just the rider's portion) or having the seat reshaped/covered, which is always a crap shoot, especially if you can't work directly with the person doing the job to get it the way you want it, plus I'd be without a seat while it was being done. I should probably ask around on a local forum and see if there is someone local who is skilled at this sort of thing.

kpedro

I find the biggest problem with the stock seat is its forward slope which pretty much forces you forward to sit on the narrow part of the seat - it's almost impossible to comfortably keep your ass back on the widest part of the seat. So even more forward sloping just wouldn't work.

Sounds like the Shad and the Top Sellerie seats are out for me. My alternatives appear to be the Corbin (nice that I can get just the rider's portion) or having the seat reshaped/covered, which is always a crap shoot, especially if you can't work directly with the person doing the job to get it the way you want it, plus I'd be without a seat while it was being done. I should probably ask around on a local forum and see if there is someone local who is skilled at this sort of thing.

I just got the Shad seat last week. I don't find it slopes as much as the stock seat and the difference in comfort is immediately noticeable. I went for a ride the other day that would usually having me squirming with the stock seat and I didn't have to move once with discomfort. I never rode with a Corbin but have sat on one and didn't find it as comfortable and on top of that there was the fitment issues that others have experienced(not to mention questionable quality control) pushed me toward the Shad . I also had a good experience with Shad when I had one on my 08 Yamaha FZ6

Fazer 8

I just got the Shad seat last week. I don't find it slopes as much as the stock seat and the difference in comfort is immediately noticeable. I went for a ride the other day that would usually having me squirming with the stock seat and I didn't have to move once with discomfort. I never rode with a Corbin but have sat on one and didn't find it as comfortable and on top of that there was the fitment issues that others have experienced(not to mention questionable quality control) pushed me toward the Shad . I also had a good experience with Shad when I had one on my 08 Yamaha FZ6
Hmm that sounds good. I've heard many times on many bikes of trouble with the fitment of Corbin seats. Good to have another data point, thanks.

Keach

Dirt road Eddie from the FZ1 forum does great work at a reasonable price. He is located in TN. He finishes the seat in about a day so u are really only out the shipping time and he ships 2 day. He takes the slope out of the seat and adds a lot of high quality foam for comfort. I believe there is a thread here somewhere with more info I posted up in. It's one of the best, if not the best thing I've done to the bike. Got the seat about 3,000 miles ago and it still looks just like the day it arrived. View attachment 3804

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elim70

X2 for dirt road Eddie. Turn around time less than a week. Superb work and fair pricing. There are some pics of a sets he did fir someone on here in red and white and it looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fazer 8

What do you mean by fitment issues with corbin? Also how is the rear passanger of a shad vs corbin? Is shad install easy? .

On every forum or mailing list (remember those?) I've been on for a bike I've owned, when it comes to Corbin seats I always read the same stuff: heavy, crudely made seat pan. Not all required hardware included. Poor fit of the seat to the factory mounting points. No experience with them myself, but I've seen these kind of complaints about Corbin seats again and again. The seats themselves, once mounted, most people seem to be reasonably satisfied with. Not everyone likes them, but the same seat shape, firmness, etc, doesn't work equally well for everyone. For all I know, some people may find the stock FZ8 seat to be quite comfy. I find it tolerable at best, and then only when I'm using the right combination of riding shorts, pants, sheepskin seat pad, etc - for long rides. Without that stuff, just wearing jeans, I find it uncomfortable pretty much from the get-go.

Umyaya

On every forum or mailing list (remember those?) I've been on for a bike I've owned, when it comes to Corbin seats I always read the same stuff: heavy, crudely made seat pan. Not all required hardware included. Poor fit of the seat to the factory mounting points. No experience with them myself, but I've seen these kind of complaints about Corbin seats again and again. The seats themselves, once mounted, most people seem to be reasonably satisfied with. Not everyone likes them, but the same seat shape, firmness, etc, doesn't work equally well for everyone. For all I know, some people may find the stock FZ8 seat to be quite comfy. I find it tolerable at best, and then only when I'm using the right combination of riding shorts, pants, sheepskin seat pad, etc - for long rides. Without that stuff, just wearing jeans, I find it uncomfortable pretty much from the get-go.

When you guys say fitment does the thing like not screw on or something? lol
I like how the passenger seat on the Corbin is flat... I sat on my passanger seat the other day and it is sloped down.. I still dunno how chicks/dudes will get on the back of bikes.. crazy. Anywho I was annoyed that Shad seats on this site were "on sale" for like 240 then I checked shipping and it was 105! Oh yippee. I will end up paying same price. Great deal! hahaha