Coffmans Exhaust the truth.

bikee4

OK, been riding with the muffler to know that it is ineffective as a performance adder and is poorly designed. That being said I would recommend a name brand muffler for the FZ8 that has actually been researched and actually tuned for our bikes. :mad:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
yeah theres nowhere near enough "muffler" to reduce db while looking like that. Most of the side exit shorty exhausts you see have a huge bafflebox under the bike. So...somethings gotta give.

Keach

OK, been riding with the muffler to know that it is ineffective as a performance adder and is poorly designed. That being said I would recommend a name brand muffler for the FZ8 that has actually been researched and actually tuned for our bikes. :mad:

Care to elaborate on how it's poorly designed? Still haven't rode my bike with it on so I don't really have an opinion other than mine fit nice, looks good, and sounds good at idle. Have you noticed any negatives while riding vs the stock exhaust, ie power loss ect.? I assume you didn't notice an increase in power, but I wasn't expecting that when I bought mine. Just hated the way stock can looked and sounded.

master paper clip

I don't really know what u were expecting out of such a minimalist design, shorty pipes like that don't usually add anything but sound... There not enough of a muffler body to really engineer it to do anything... did it hurt performance or was it just not what u were hoping

bikee4

Well the sound is good, but the bike seems to have lost a lot of midrange power. It feels like a giant hole opened up in the middle I have a smaller R6 baffle and with it some midrange comes back but feels choked on top. This with a PCV and any map including bone stock. Basically my bikes rideability has been reduced. I'm going back to stock exhaust until I can get another slip on muffler.

Suave96

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I love mine and the FZ8 is a beast even without an exhaust. Trust I I've tried that as well. I haven't noticed any difference, besides it sounding great! Went from stock to a shirt pipe to the Coffman.

MotoZen

Well the sound is good, but the bike seems to have lost a lot of midrange power. It feels like a giant hole opened up in the middle I have a smaller R6 baffle and with it some midrange comes back but feels choked on top. This with a PCV and any map including bone stock. Basically my bikes rideability has been reduced. I'm going back to stock exhaust until I can get another slip on muffler.

I might be interested in buying a used pipe if you want to get rid of it.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

NoNine4me

Of course. There is no back pressure. Back pressure is necessary to have good midrange and low end torque. A longer can will help a little with that but any slip-on that is "straight-thru" is going to hurt your bottom end and mids. If you put in the sound suppressor that might help.

The FZ1 has EXUP which automatically adjusts to provide back pressure, so you can run a slip-on with that bike (same for many of the FZRs, etc. as well as the GSX-R 750) and still keep your midrange/bottom end.

If you want performance just have your ECU reflashed. You can keep your stock exhaust and the bike will be much faster.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/3933-guhls-reflash-ride-report.html

Most pipes any more are just noisemakers, we can do SO much with the ECU alone that it simply is not necessary to do the whole pipe/dyno thing unless you like the loud sound or the look. To me, having had a hell of lot of bikes with loud pipes over the years (ear-splitting Harley Big Twin among them) I am more into stealth these days, and make up for the difference with conspicuous gear.;)

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Although "backpressure" isn't technically the correct terminology, it is the widely accepted misnomer for the concept of optimal flow rate of exhaust at different RPMs.

When people mention scavenging it's in regards to how fast the exhaust pulse can get pulled out based on the velocity of that pulse in any given size of piping.

Last edited:

FZ8Panda

Oh wow, I was thinking about switching out my Yoshi to the Coffman but now I'm reconsidering it. Low and midrange is where I spend the most time on. Anyone else with a Coffman experience what the OP has experienced?

Woody146

Banned
Oh wow, I was thinking about switching out my Yoshi to the Coffman but now I'm reconsidering it. Low and midrange is where I spend the most time on. Anyone else with a Coffman experience what the OP has experienced?

You already spent the cash..why downgrade?!

MotoZen

Because the Coffman looks amaze-balls! I thought I wanted one, but now I'm sort of reconsidering as well. I'm not a racer, but I still don't want to hurt performance either.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Woody146

Banned
Oh for sure looks dope..I always have wanted a lowmount exhaust..I am not willing to sacrifice performance though..so one of these days I will get the full graves...the longer I wait..the cheaper it's getting..down to 900 and change...maybe it will continue to drop since our bikes aren't made anymore..here in the u.s. At least.

FZ8Panda

Yea, I'm gonna pass on the Coffman. I wanted it cause I liked the loud sound of it but if it's going to hurt performance than no point in getting it. Looks like I will look into a new helmet or a PCV. :)

Woody146

Banned
Graves Motorsports Yamaha FZ8 11-12 Full Stainless Steel Exhaust System from SportbikeTrackGear.com

If you call, they will probably give you more of a discount. They are really cool to work with.

My yamaha dealer has a pretty good relationship too...they both sponsor a local rider annnnd they are California local! I've already had some contact with graves themselves but they are usually pretty busy..(not the biggest company) but I get 15% off parts for life from San Jose yamaha since I bought my bike from them so I'm hopping to get a sweet deal....when I have an extra $900 to blow lol

dgray5150

Coffmans - power loss? Not fair to assume.

I think it is unfair to state that the Coffmans exhaust tip(s) results in an increase or loss of power as I have yet to see a dyno chart showing this to be true or false. I do not find any statement by the Coffman's stating horsepower gains or even power curve promises.

FACT: The Coffman's tip is 14.5 lbs lighter than stock (include all fasteners/brackets) Any weight reduction is directly related to performance gains (small but factual)
FACT/OPINON: It looks very good. I say great.
FACT/OPINON: Is sounds very aggressive and good.

FACT: Dyno charts tell the truth. Without them, do not make claims.

FACT: WSB, MotoGP and Privateers are utilizing data logging, telemetry and support to correctly analyze factual data. The opinion that there is perfect exhaust and ECU map for all scenarios is false. Weather and other factors result in variations of power production.

OPINION: Useable HP; 90% of this community cannot utilize the full power of the bike in stock form. Not a slamming anyone particular, this includes me. I have many years race track experience on several platforms (RZ350, FZ600, GSXR750). There are a lot of variables.

Be fair to those who provide services and goods to the motorcycle community before making statements. Those who provide service and support make this adventure possible.
Buy and utilize products and services with realistic expectations and learn to enjoy the ride.

Unrelated example: Millions of those ionized rubber balance bracelets, shoes that tone your butt and more products have sold and had claims both from the sellers and users stating performance and fitness gains. We all know how that worked out.

dgray5150

Last edited: