Coffman's Exhaust: My experience

860Rider

Good day all. I just wanted to share my experience with Coffman’s slip on.

Install: this was about as easy as it could be. I DID use the pop rivet as that’s what the instructions say to use. Took me all of 15min.

Looks: Defiantly an attractive looking pipe. I went with the black tip and the red lettering looks good against the powder coat. Looks like it came with the bike.

Sound: My favorite part. Sounds like it has multiple personalities. Low grumbling, growling, and as it winds up a nice even pitch that has a pleasant “MID range tune” to the ears IMO. I have about 900 miles on since my install. 496 of those in 1 weekend in a group ride called “Operation NY Cheesecake”. It’s a youtube community based group ride. I received all compliments on the sound over my old stock system. Im good friends with most of these guys, and they have no issues telling me if they didn’t care for it. A couple of them took my bike for a quick ride and came back loving it. 1 of the guys has a Duc Hypermoto and spent a good 1800 on a slip on alone, and even he remarked that my slip on had more character than his.

Sound Volume: this will be hit or miss with some folks. I brought ear plug with me to this group ride thinking I was going to need them. Nope. I ran the whole trip without using them. I have a Scorpion EXO 1100 helmet. Not the quietest but enough that I did feel the need to put them in. Remember the tip can be turn down and away to further reduce the sound. At 37 Im not a young guy so things are louder than they used to be 10 years ago..LOL

Power loss issue: This took some looking up, and I went right to the source, and had a candid conversation with Mr. Coffman. I then took that info and researched other motorcycle forums experience, and my conclusion is as follows. With a stock airbox, filter, and fuel management the make and model specific baffle that comes with the exhaust must be left in, and left alone. If a smaller baffle is replaced, or removed all together a fuel management system must be added to adjust for the increased air flow. At which point you might as well do the airbox mod. I have an all stock system, and with the slip on I’m not “feeling” a loss. If anything Im “feeling” that the bike winds up a hair faster. I defiantly don’t feel a loss. Having ridden 3000 on my FZ8, and 9000 miles on my original bike (yzf600r) and having that professionally modified Im confident on what I can feel. I will say that Im NO expert and do not have dyno proof, but then again no one that I research has dyno proof saying there is a loss. It’s all been based on what they “feel”

Conclusion: A great looking, great sounding system that has some great potential. A US made small business with great customer service. When you call, you’re speaking to a member of the family. A real live person. One that calls you back or replies within hours. How many other companies do that now a days?

Please keep in mind this is MY experience, and is to be taken as such. I will state again, that Im NO expert and my findings were my own. This thread is in NO MEANS MEANT to HURT, INSULT, OFFEND, SHAME, OR PROVE TO ANYONE BUT MYSELF. I don’t expect anyone to take my word for it. Find out for yourself, and Happy riding to all.

Johnfd3

Thanks for the write-up. I have been thinking of one of these and this seals it. Can't beat the price!

860Rider

Thanks for the write-up. I have been thinking of one of these and this seals it. Can't beat the price!

Thanks bro. I did make a couple vids on it for my YT channel. I did a full stock vs Coffman sound compare if you want to check it out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hdIptXIiVA&list=UUGvi9d31eQaBTUTiTc4ONKQ[/ame]

Keach

My experience with the coffman is very similar to yours. I've put a good amount of miles on the pipe and I did not personally notice a power loss. As for the sound I absolutely love it. I was very worried it would be too loud but I found it to be absolutely fine. I made the mistake of taking out the baffle, which was only a mistake because now I don't want to put it back in lol. I've only had the baffle out for a couple of rides but I didn't notice any power problems with it out and my system is stock (although I'm planning on a flash hopefully soon). The thing sounds mean as hell without the baffle. I'll repeat another thing that you mentioned that drew me to the pipe. Small business American made at a reasonable price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FZ8Panda

Very good write up. I had the pleasure of riding next to 860Rider at the group ride and I have to say, the Coffman sounds sweet. Only thing that bothered me with the Coffman prior to speaking with 860Rider was the questionable issue with power loss. However, that issue seems for the most part to be false when I spoke to other FZ8 owners with the Coffman. I say if your in the market for a slip on and the Coffman looks attractive to you, I say get it! I sure as would have if I knew about the Coffman shorties before I purchased my Yoshi R77. The Coffman with the gold tip would have been a perfect look and fit on my '12.

860Rider

Very good write up. I had the pleasure of riding next to 860Rider at the group ride and I have to say, the Coffman sounds sweet. Only thing that bothered me with the Coffman prior to speaking with 860Rider was the questionable issue with power loss. However, that issue seems for the most part to be false when I spoke to other FZ8 owners with the Coffman. I say if your in the market for a slip on and the Coffman looks attractive to you, I say get it! I sure as would have if I knew about the Coffman shorties before I purchased my Yoshi R77. The Coffman with the gold tip would have been a perfect look and fit on my '12.

Agreed, and I was finally able to meet Panda, and his Yoshi system is almost as awesome, as the rider! LOL Just teasing bro but I hope we can ride again soon! Good times! We need to get pics of our bikes together!

jassilamba

Great write up mate, I have a question, how bad is the droning on the pipe? That is my major concern, I have been looking for something to replace the factory exhaust with.

Umyaya

Great write up mate, I have a question, how bad is the droning on the pipe? That is my major concern, I have been looking for something to replace the factory exhaust with.

Spend the extra money and get the full graves man. Throw in a k and n filter and smog block off plates. You be good buy the full graves from that one dude.

bikee4

Coffmans is bullshit.The thing is just next to an empty header. That's my experience. No engineering or dyno time; lame! Anyone who says to contrary is lying.

va_bank

Any change in MPG? I bought the FZ8 as a second bike for my long commute, so it matters. It's the last question I have before I order. Please share your experience with this, thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Keach

If you want to put a kazoo on the end of your exhaust this thing is perfect!

Whatever dude everyone that's heard the coffman on my bike loves the sound. I will agree the pipe does not add power, but I noticed no power loss. I'm planning on flashing the ecu at some point and look forward to seeing if that causes a positive effect with the coffman. Regardless of the flash for me it looks good, sounds good, and bike performs the same so I'm happy.

Keach

Any change in MPG? I bought the FZ8 as a second bike for my long commute, so it matters. It's the last question I have before I order. Please share your experience with this, thank you in advance.

Not that I noticed I still get between 40 and 43. I don't remember ever getting anymore than that.

va_bank

Placed the order few hours ago. If their product is half as great as their customer service, I'll be a happy camper. They called me back within minutes of eBay transaction to make sure I got the right color tip, turned into a pleasant conversation and I'm never the one one to talk on the phone for long. Can't wait to try it.

Woody146

Banned
Placed the order few hours ago. If their product is half as great as their customer service, I'll be a happy camper. They called me back within minutes of eBay transaction to make sure I got the right color tip, turned into a pleasant conversation and I'm never the one one to talk on the phone for long. Can't wait to try it.

They make you send a signature saying it was closed corse use only? Or they only do that for Cali?

va_bank

They make you send a signature saying it was closed corse use only? Or they only do that for Cali?

No, this must be a Cali thing. The only place that has it worse than NJ when it comes to cool stuff like motors, alcohol, guns, etc., :D

bikee4

To Each his or her own, Just look at the competition Yosh,two bros...etc.and that extra money pays for something. But you can count your change and get left behind..

Last edited: