Broke a crash guard....without crashing

lance2448

I've noticed a slight rattle at certain RPMs, and haven't been able to find the cause for a long time. By accident, I tracked it down to the engine guard. I don't know when or how this broke, but the bike's never crashed, or even been dropped. And this is the OEM Yamaha guard

:mad:

WTF?!?

Idk if I should weld it, replace it, or just go without, but, this is dumb.

DSmith

At the very least I'd contact Yamaha and take multiple pictures showing theres no scrapes or other damage. Then try to fix it with a weld if possible. Thats if you even want that on your bike still, if it cant hold up to daily riding how well is it gonna hold up in a crash..

lance2448

I'll have to lookup where I got it from, but I'm not sure they'll even care, since I installed it myself, though I don't see how one could do it wrong or anything.

Just seems odd to me.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
They can tell if YOU broke it. I'd send some info to yamaha and see if they would replace it. I'd not...... Weld that sucka! It looks like it broke just before a weld anyways. Probably cost you 50 bucks and 5 mins at a welding shop.

Bajaedition

that is a 20 minute repair
10 minutes of prep
1 minute of weld
9 minutes cleanup and paint

I would like to know why it broke however, that is a weird place to have cracked

RD GUY

to op when you installed cage did it fit perfect or did you have a gap like a couple of other guys on here and kept tightening till it fit tight? if so that is more than likely what caused it to break where it did. that is why I try and by my parts from the dealer so that way if you have a problem you just take them back, no shipping hassles and no runarounds .works for me .

lance2448

Hmm, I do recall it being annoying to install, but, I have another welding project coming up, so, I'll probably just fix it.