Best Helmet Action Cam for riding?

FZ8Panda

Looking to puchase a cam to record my riding and was wondering what y'all use for those of you who use action cams. I'm down to 3 choices,

1) Contour ROAM2 Action HD
2) Sony Action Cam HDRAS10/B
3) Drift Innovation Ghost HD

Go Pro isn't an option as I hate the design of it for having it on your helmet. It looks too bulky and not sleek like the ones I mentioned above. On the flipside, I really like the Ghost HD. It has all the functionality I want but dunno if the $400 price tag is worth it compared to the other two which are about $200. One of the key factors is the use of an external mic without modifying the case or the camera. It isn't a deal breaker but it would be a nice option to have. I believe the Contour doesn't even have an external mic option but I put it in my list anyway. I know the Sony has an external mic port but I would have to mod the case to actually make use of it. The Ghost HD is plug and play. So, what do you guys recommend? Do any of you guys own any of the cameras mentioned? Looking for some input/suggestions/recommendations from you guys who use cameras on your helmet. Thanks in advance. :tup:

RoadKill

the Ghost is popular among moto vloggers. i agree with you about the gopro. not very cool looking on a helmet.

Landin

I say GoPro hero 3 black edition anyway, forget about design, think of the quality of the video! Think of all the accessories. I dont think anyone will think Its ugly, its a GoPro and EVERYONE knows it...

If its really down to the other three cams, I would go for the Sony action cam. Thats a really good camera where u can record in 720 and 120 FPS.. Its wifi connected to your phone so that you can do settings and preview movies and look at them when you have recorded something. Nice format and would be better looking on the helmet due to the thin format.

Bajaedition

I am going go to the go pro because of its quality
also
about helmet mount
I do not like those videos, I prefer the handle bar mount, seems the helmet mount you get to many look aways, I prefer the steady fwd of the handle bar mount. I think that every distraction the rider sees is not for me. I want to see the road ride not the glance at the beef jerkey sign.

Landin

I am going go to the go pro because of its quality
also
about helmet mount
I do not like those videos, I prefer the handle bar mount, seems the helmet mount you get to many look aways, I prefer the steady fwd of the handle bar mount. I think that every distraction the rider sees is not for me. I want to see the road ride not the glance at the beef jerkey sign.

Its a taste thing. If you are recording friends that makes wheelies and so on, its not the best to mount the cam so its recording straight forward. Due to the wide angel (fisheye) its nice to have it on the helmet =)

Landin

I got the hero 2 and the quality is great. The drift is my first option on looks alone and have heard many love them. I watch a guy on youtube who uses the drift and you can see first hand the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDNYLNHs0Gs

He does a solid review

Nice cam, got one, but after I try my new gopro hero 3 black edition I wont use the drift any more :D. 1080 in 30 fps is not that great, not if you want to edit the video before you put it on youtube (that automatic scales the video down to 30fps)..
3m waterproof =/ Gopro 3 can go down to 60m with the house that comes with it. And you can record 4k, 1080 - 60fps, 720 - 120 fps, etc. Black edition comes with a really nice remote and you can use your phone to controll it.
And if you have gloves on, no problem.

Kardiac996

Nice cam, got one, but after I try my new gopro hero 3 black edition I wont use the drift any more :D. 1080 in 30 fps is not that great, not if you want to edit the video before you put it on youtube (that automatic scales the video down to 30fps)..
3m waterproof =/ Gopro 3 can go down to 60m with the house that comes with it. And you can record 4k, 1080 - 60fps, 720 - 120 fps, etc. Black edition comes with a really nice remote and you can use your phone to controll it.
And if you have gloves on, no problem.

I was sad that 2 months after i got my hero 2 the 3 came out. Was a huge bummer

Rotaryknight

Out of the three I would pick the Sony because the stabilazation on it is freaking awesome and the night scenes are awesome as well. Sound quality is better than the GoPro Black, but accessories sucks.

I have the black edition and for that price, it is not worth it, I rather get a mirrorless camera and use that as a camcorder for that price lol. I sold it and got the Sony. The GoPro just looks weird on a helmet. One advice with the GoPro, never go 100+mph with it on the FZ8, or any bike actually, it will make your neck sore from the wind lol The Sony and the Mobius, I have taken it up to 150+mph and felt nothing.

Right now the best helmet cam I have used is a cheap chinese made camera, the Mobius. Doesnt have stabilazation but you head isnt a bobblehead doll. The picture quality is better than the GoPro at 1080p and it is really slim and doesnt weigh a thing. Put it on your helmet and it feels like nothing is there, and its inconspicuous. I use the sony for mounting on the bike itself in diffent areas, the sound quality is really really good. Techmoan did a review here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M]Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam - Full review (with samples). - YouTube[/ame]

I actually bought a Contour Roam (1st generation) last week. People are saying its the same as the Roam2 but with firmware upgrades so I will have to see on that when it arrives.

krillz

GoPro Eats battery and Memory. Plan to spend tons of loot on extra batteries and Hi capacity Memory card, Its also a bitch to operate with gloves on. IMO

FZ8Panda

Out of the three I would pick the Sony because the stabilazation on it is freaking awesome and the night scenes are awesome as well. Sound quality is better than the GoPro Black, but accessories sucks.

I have the black edition and for that price, it is not worth it, I rather get a mirrorless camera and use that as a camcorder for that price lol. I sold it and got the Sony. The GoPro just looks weird on a helmet. One advice with the GoPro, never go 100+mph with it on the FZ8, or any bike actually, it will make your neck sore from the wind lol The Sony and the Mobius, I have taken it up to 150+mph and felt nothing.

Right now the best helmet cam I have used is a cheap chinese made camera, the Mobius. Doesnt have stabilazation but you head isnt a bobblehead doll. The picture quality is better than the GoPro at 1080p and it is really slim and doesnt weigh a thing. Put it on your helmet and it feels like nothing is there, and its inconspicuous. I use the sony for mounting on the bike itself in diffent areas, the sound quality is really really good. Techmoan did a review here Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam - Full review (with samples). - YouTube

I actually bought a Contour Roam (1st generation) last week. People are saying its the same as the Roam2 but with firmware upgrades so I will have to see on that when it arrives.

Let me know how the Contour Roam is when you get to test it out.

GoPro Eats battery and Memory. Plan to spend tons of loot on extra batteries and Hi capacity Memory card, Its also a bitch to operate with gloves on. IMO

Thanks for all the input fellas. I'm def not going with the GoPro and agree with krillz. I had a GoPro 2 and though the video quality was nice, I absolutely hated their mounts and just overall functionality. I like the POV from my helmet and not anywhere else, so for my intended use, the GoPro is a thumbs down. I do have to agree the Sony is nice especially at low light conditions. So for now I guess I'm down to either the Ghost or Sony. I would love to get the Sony but their mounts look crappy and they need to update their casing so you can use an external mic. Ugh, I wish the Ghost was $100 cheaper. Decisions! Decisions! :confused:

Rotaryknight

Sony has a skeleton case to use the external Mic. Though it's not water proof and doesn't provide protection to the lense

FZ8Panda

Went a totally diff route and ended up buying a Contour+2 with GPS & Bluetooth. So far so good after the first test ride with it. Ordered an external mic so that should alleviate the wind noise. Initial impressions are very good and so far I love it. Sleek design, all the functionality I wanted and well below $400. Picture quality isn't spectacular in low light but it is overall a great quality camera that does everything pretty well. I will have to test it again on full charge on a sunny day. See how much footage I can get before the battery dies and also mess around with the diff record settings.

Last edited:

FZ8Panda

Great... That's just my crappy luck this year. Company goes bust the day after I buy their camera. WTF! I think I will still keep mine and hope it doesn't break or anything. That's such a shame. I would take the Contour over GoPro any day of the week! Ugh... Who's next? Drift Innovation? Er.

Rotaryknight

Great... That's just my crappy luck this year. Company goes bust the day after I buy their camera. WTF! I think I will still keep mine and hope it doesn't break or anything. That's such a shame. I would take the Contour over GoPro any day of the week! Ugh... Who's next? Drift Innovation? Er.

I blame you for them shutting down!!!! j/k lol

The Contour camera is a very robust camera, it will take beatings and still survive, thanks to the aluminum frame. It also doesnt have the firmware disaster like the GoPros

master paper clip

I blame you for them shutting down!!!! j/k lol

The Contour camera is a very robust camera, it will take beatings and still survive, thanks to the aluminum frame. It also doesnt have the firmware disaster like the GoPros

Now now, ur speaking nonsense that couldn't be possible.... It's a goPro :)