Bad choice for a first Bike

Bajaedition

cardiac996, I have no sympathy for anyone wrecking a bike learning to stunt.
I think if they want to do such as drift, wheelie, stoppie, do a Jesus Christ or whatever they are doing high risk maneuvers that have no value on the road. And that they are part of the crowd that keeps rates high for those of us who rode responsibly. As far as someone who has little experience throwing a bike down, yes I feel sorry for such.
However I think today we have a far different situation than we had when I started riding in the late 70s.
At that time you walked into a dealership and you saw bikes from the size of 250s to 1000s in increments or 100 ccs or less, so the line had 9 different bikes between 250 and 1000. and by the 80s that was in a sports and cruiser line. No wonder they wanted to streamline to what we have today.
And we went and got a 350 to start on and our friends all went WOW you got a 350 not a 250.
Now today we walk in and there is a 600, not that 250 starter bike, a 600. WOW I can look like Niki Haden and be cool. Not to mention it has over 100 ponies and I do not even have to have classes to get it, just cash.
Kind of a different thing that 40 years ago.
Another point is the fact that the way we use credit these days, In the 70s it would been hard to get your bank to finance a 650 if it was your first bike, the banker usually knew you, he took and interest in you, today you are just a Number from a credit reporting agency.

I can not tell you if these are the total reason. But I do think they are a big part of it. I know I was on my third bike when I got a big bike, GS850. Loved that bike.

Anyway this could be debated for years and there probably is no correct answer, just opinion. And opinions are just that/

Trooper

Friend of mine purchased his first bike brand new Kawazaki 650r never rode a bike a day in his life (no biggie that's his prerogative).

You would never be able to get a motorcycle here in Quebec without going through hell and back to get a license first. Does it make us better riders? Not always, but a minimum of how to do a u-turn without dumping it every corner should be a minimum requirement. It not the type of vehicle that you can just hand the keys to someone who has NEVER been on one and say " here ya go, enjoy !" Its not a bicycle....