Bad choice for a first Bike

F

fz8kansas

The link below is for a video of why you should start on a low power bike when first learning to ride. This guy may have set a record. The rider who made the video is a local rider who has her own Vlog. I sometimes watch her vids to see if I can figure out where she is riding. Enjoy! I am still learning to insert a link, sorry if it does not work the way it should. I will figure it out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42lfUiehqf0]GSXR 600. First Bike. Totaled in 300 feet. - YouTube[/ame]

randyka

this is why the insurance on these bikes is too damn high! we really should copy the european licensing process

Rotaryknight

glad the dude survived falling down there....but man I feel sorry for that bike. Didnt even had a chance to live its life...

My friend bought a R6 and he has never rode a bike at all. But he had me and many other friends that do ride to teach him how to be safe and not die. I rode the bike home from teh dealership and we went to a parking lot to teach him.

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'll fess up... I actually did something similar.

I was at a dealership test riding for my first bike (M License in hand, MSF course completed). I rode one bike (Buell Blast) in the lot for 20 minutes, liked it, got a feel for it, but thought the clutch wasn't right, so I asked to take a second bike of the same model but a different year up and down the lot to compare.

Climbed on the second bike, but no matter what I did, it stalled when I tried to take off. Each time, I gave it a little more gas and a little softer clutch. Finally, instead of stalling, the bike went CLANG and rocketed off.

I had no show of making the turn at that point, so I straightened up, rode it into an empty show tent, then hit the clutch and brakes. CLANG. Rear wheel locked up, and I highsided the bitch at 15mph.

I was on the hook for the damages (an open check for them, as they could have declared it totalled and demanded I pay the full $3k they were asking), or I could buy the first bike for $200 more than asked originally. Given the option, I bought the first bike for $2200.

After having worked on that first bike for 2 years, I figured out exactly what happened - the shift detent plate retainer clip had cracked and fallen off (I replaced the bitch 4 or 5 times on mine). That caused the shift detent plate to come loose and wear thin against the back of the clutch basket. It got thin enough that it got sucked into the back side of the clutch basket, and got wedged between the housing and ribs of the transmission input shaft.

A $0.99 part could have killed me, and ended up costing me $2000.

The moral of the story? Newbies should be extra careful, but it isn't always their fault - who knows what extenuating circumstances there might be. Also, be extra awesome with your maintenance - it's your life!

ssky0078

You're friends with Laurie, she's awesome, although she got mad over a couple of my smart ass sarcastic comments so I stopped watching her stuff.

I don't get why the people ever blame the motorcycle, seriously. It is an inanimate project, incapable of feeling, emotion or intent.

Blaming the motorcycle for crashing is the same as saying guns make people kill other people, spoons make people fat, cars drive drunk, etc. No possible way for an inanimate object to act without some human being behind the controls, end of story.

ssky0078

I had a friend who was a GM at a local stealership (RideNow Phoenix, the priciest stealership in the area, and he told me they intentionally marked everything up by thousands so that when people haggled down to the actual right price they felt like they were still getting a deal).

The two best ones he ever saw were:

18 year old kid about to go off to college, mom is a doctor and dad is a hospital administrator. Kid is a straight A student about to go off to college and talks mom and dad into letting him buy a bike with money he's saved up. The mom talks to my friend and asks if he will ride with the kid to their home just to keep an eye on him and make sure he gets home safe. My friend agrees. So, the kid comes in to pick up his brand new R6, my friend grabs a used GSXR750, and they set off. The kid eases out of the parking lot and comes up to the next main intersection where they need to take a left. My friend waits on the kid to take off and he stalls it. The kid fires the bike back up and proceeds to pin it taking the left, swings wide over 3 lanes and is headed directly at a motorcycle cop who is on the side of the road trying to tag speeders. The kids bike side swipes the cop and the kid proceeds to run into a fire hydrant. My friend swung back and is checking out the scene when the cop whose leg is not broken just above his boot line points and him and says "you did this." The kid is lying on the ground and there is hole in his knee cap from the fire plug bolt. My friend took off at that point because he may/may not have been riding on a suspended license. The R6 didn't even get a whole mile on it before it was totalled.

Best story number 2. A guy comes in with his wife. The guy may or may not have been a Rough Rider (DMX's biker gang). The guy bought a brand new R1. I guess the whole time he jawing, saying that he was riding his buddy's 'Busa and he was a great rider, blah, blah, blah. Well he's hopping on his bike, his wife is in front of him in an Escalade. My buddy said he started to walk inside and all of a sudden he hears a loud crashing and goes back outside. The bike is impaled into the rear deck of the SUV and the guy is literally in a tree. He said no shit the guy was flung into a tree. Said it looked like he must have popped the clutch and wheelied right into the wife's truck and he got flipped forward. The guy had a fractured femur and had to be life flighted out because the broken bone had cut into his artery. Dude didn't even make it out of the parking lot.

cambo

Avid Rider
I had a friend who was a GM at a local stealership (RideNow Phoenix, the priciest stealership in the area, and he told me they intentionally marked everything up by thousands so that when people haggled down to the actual right price they felt like they were still getting a deal).

The two best ones he ever saw were:

18 year old kid about to go off to college, mom is a doctor and dad is a hospital administrator. Kid is a straight A student about to go off to college and talks mom and dad into letting him buy a bike with money he's saved up. The mom talks to my friend and asks if he will ride with the kid to their home just to keep an eye on him and make sure he gets home safe. My friend agrees. So, the kid comes in to pick up his brand new R6, my friend grabs a used GSXR750, and they set off. The kid eases out of the parking lot and comes up to the next main intersection where they need to take a left. My friend waits on the kid to take off and he stalls it. The kid fires the bike back up and proceeds to pin it taking the left, swings wide over 3 lanes and is headed directly at a motorcycle cop who is on the side of the road trying to tag speeders. The kids bike side swipes the cop and the kid proceeds to run into a fire hydrant. My friend swung back and is checking out the scene when the cop whose leg is not broken just above his boot line points and him and says "you did this." The kid is lying on the ground and there is hole in his knee cap from the fire plug bolt. My friend took off at that point because he may/may not have been riding on a suspended license. The R6 didn't even get a whole mile on it before it was totalled.

Best story number 2. A guy comes in with his wife. The guy may or may not have been a Rough Rider (DMX's biker gang). The guy bought a brand new R1. I guess the whole time he jawing, saying that he was riding his buddy's 'Busa and he was a great rider, blah, blah, blah. Well he's hopping on his bike, his wife is in front of him in an Escalade. My buddy said he started to walk inside and all of a sudden he hears a loud crashing and goes back outside. The bike is impaled into the rear deck of the SUV and the guy is literally in a tree. He said no shit the guy was flung into a tree. Said it looked like he must have popped the clutch and wheelied right into the wife's truck and he got flipped forward. The guy had a fractured femur and had to be life flighted out because the broken bone had cut into his artery. Dude didn't even make it out of the parking lot.

Good lord! awesome stories ssky lol...would've been crazy to see happen. if only these would've been caught on video!!

Bajaedition

I get 2 things from the thread

first is how many guys blame the bike, it is not the bike it is the lack of experience the rider had. Yes if he had been on a 250 maybe he would have fared better but the fact is he had no reason to be on that bike. the bike did what the controls told it to do, no more or no less. He was in control.

second it proves we need a system where guys need to get experience with low HP bikes before they are allowed to pick up higher HP bikes. It has been proven the less you know the more you are likely to have an accident, and that is in anything.

I started off on dirt bikes, by the time I hit streetbikes My first bike had around 45 HP. it was fast. but I did not have 100 ponies waiting to be released at any second. Our society demands we get the best, that is what happened here, he wanted a street racer to try to learn on and the racer was to much for him. It was not the bike, he was in control and he didi not have the experience to handle the bike.

n00b

Avid Rider
second it proves we need a system where guys need to get experience with low HP bikes before they are allowed to pick up higher HP bikes. It has been proven the less you know the more you are likely to have an accident, and that is in anything.

not to get into a political discussion, but this is a slippery slope. It is proven that riding a bike at all is more risky than other forms of transportation, that high horsepower light weight cars are more dangerous, that eating fast food or smoking is not good for you, etc...

I'm a believer in personal responsibility rather than a "system" that thinks for me. People are losing all common sense anymore, because instead of personal responsibility there are systems and laws telling them what they can or can't do.

Darksabre

I agree - as long as the education or information is readily available. For example, when I was a teenager, I had no idea how horrible processed foods were at places like BK or CrapDonalds, so I went there as often as I pleased. This was before anyone thought to question Trans Fat, or demand that nutrition info was readily available.

I did start to catch on after feeling strangely horrible after eating at these places. Haha.. What's bad now is the amount of unnecessary crap in non-fast food restaurants. Looking at the nutritional breakdowns of those places is quite depressing.

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

I get 2 things from the thread

first is how many guys blame the bike, it is not the bike it is the lack of experience the rider had. Yes if he had been on a 250 maybe he would have fared better but the fact is he had no reason to be on that bike. the bike did what the controls told it to do, no more or no less. He was in control.

I started off on dirt bikes, by the time I hit streetbikes My first bike had around 45 HP. it was fast. but I did not have 100 ponies waiting to be released at any second. Our society demands we get the best, that is what happened here, he wanted a street racer to try to learn on and the racer was to much for him. It was not the bike, he was in control and he didi not have the experience to handle the bike.

The UK has a licensing structure like that.

97audia4

its easy to say what others should have done or what we should make them do but I had ridden all types of cc dirt bikes when I was younger and at 15 I was riding 250cc 2 stokes and 450 4-strokes and that helped when making the transition to the street. My first bike at 16 was a cbr 600rr and it was fine for me because by then I had learned throttle control and common sense. It all really depends how you were taught and negligence is a main factor to young kids buying and wrecking bikes.

b-eock

Exactly... People today don't want to own up to their mistakes a lot of the time... If you can control yourself and the bike, its fine. I started on the FZ8 a week or two before I turned 17. Haven't wrecked once. I have laid the bike down. But I know why and haven't done so since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Bajaedition

not to get into a political discussion, but this is a slippery slope. It is proven that riding a bike at all is more risky than other forms of transportation, that high horsepower light weight cars are more dangerous, that eating fast food or smoking is not good for you, etc...

I'm a believer in personal responsibility rather than a "system" that thinks for me. People are losing all common sense anymore, because instead of personal responsibility there are systems and laws telling them what they can or can't do.
I can agree with a lot of that
but how many high HP cars are priced at under 10 grand?

and guys do not lose common sense, common sense is taught to you.
like the guys who put knives into soapy water with the dishes and wonder why they need stitches when they reach in to grab something they cannot see. Wonder if his father ever taught him to not put a sharp knofe into something he could not see? But ask a Eward nurse, and they see it all the time.

like I said it is not the vehicle, it is the kid had no experience, had he gotten experience before trying to buy a bike he could not even get started without stalling out, he may be riding today.

Believe me I want as little government intervention that I can get, and think we could live without 3/4of the laws we have today, but we have certain laws because we need them, such as building codes, would you like to buy a house if there had never been any inspections on it while being built?
Some laws make sense, such as a tiered moto licensing law.

ssky0078

I bought a Fz6 as my first bike, totaled it after 1800 miles in 2 weeks. Then I got the Fz1. Irony is 2 days before I crashed the Fz6 I was at the dealer looking at an Fz8 and Fz1 because I was already losing the love for the Fz6's performance ability and the ergos didn't really fit me well. I really wish I hadn't crashed because of the sore spine and concussion after and now I'm dealing with insurance that doesn't want to pay (All State) for my MRI bill or my chiropractor care.

Basically I went from a 90 hp bike to 130 hp bike. The first crash I had on the Fz6 had nothing to do with speed/power/bike just inexperienced rider on poor road conditions. The second crash was all 'going full retard' and not having the skill to back it up. I would never blame the bike for either accident.

Kardiac996

like I said it is not the vehicle, it is the kid had no experience, had he gotten experience before trying to buy a bike he could not even get started without stalling out, he may be riding today.

Believe me I want as little government intervention that I can get, and think we could live without 3/4of the laws we have today, but we have certain laws because we need them, such as building codes, would you like to buy a house if there had never been any inspections on it while being built?
Some laws make sense, such as a tiered moto licensing law.

I'm an avid rider and hate to see this happen to fellow enthusiasts. I have to say though the sport has inherent risks that we all accept.

I started on a liter super sport twin the RC51 and never laid it down. 2 Reasons: I understood that the machine had imense power that needed to be understood slowly. second, i knew my limitations as a rider.

At the time i had no M endorsement and no MSF course (these dont prove you know how to ride). I went out purchased a motorcycle and rode it. I wouldn't advocate this behavior to anyone else but at the time being a younger man I said **** the license i know how to drive a car and can understand/obey all traffic laws lol.(I did start in parking lots however) A new bike purchase even for seasoned riders is a whole new learning curve. Each bike handles and operates differently from your last and your own muscle memory has to adjust to the new bike. Stalling is a big part of poor muscle memory (new rider or seasoned on another bike. each clutch is a different feel)

Bottom line is any rider can start on any size bike and it makes zero difference. The rider needs to be in his mind respectful of not only him self but mainly others when it comes to decision making. I know way to many guys who buy their bike and immediately think they can drag knee like ****ing Casey Stoner and its ridiculous.

I honestly hate to see other riders wreck their rides, its a sad scene every time. I do think that most however deserve to deal with the consequences because of their behavior when riding.

Case in point:

Friend of mine purchased his first bike brand new Kawazaki 650r never rode a bike a day in his life (no biggie that's his prerogative). He approached me and asked if i could show him some pointers and give tips on some handling techniques. (good move right?)

So we went over to an empty lot and I attempted to set him up with some maneuvers he could practice to get a good feel for handling and learn some basics. Before I could even start lessons he told me that parking lot riding is for little kids and was pissed off that I would take him to a lot... all ****ing pride hurt and shit ( he expected to immediately take off into a moto gp mountain ride). So I said ok man hey just trying to help in the best way i know how.... He said im going to take this thing for a real ride and off he went.

2 days later he wrecked it in a harpin corner..... in a parking lot of all places... slid across the pavement and up and over 2 curb dividers.

When he told me the news, He expected my sympathy as a fellow rider for him going to fast and trying to learn to drift in a parking lot... I said well glad your ok but thats what you get for acting like a ****ing tool.

I for the life of me couldn't understand his process of thinking. This kid shouldn't have a motorcycle as he clearly doesn't house fear.

He zip tied his bike back together and has been riding with no fairings and a zip tied front end doing what????? now trying to learn wheelies while splitting cars.

Bottom line get the bike you want and if you wreck it solo (meaning no one hit you or something) then its on you 100% of the time. The people like my friend above are playing with death and laughing at it. (Most kids these days are this way, like they have nothing to loose and i believe is the largest part of the problem, "entitlement".)

Last edited:

ssky0078

Honestly I like the fact I jumped up to an Fz1. The next jump I make in regards to a sport bike will be a Tuono V4R or S1000RR. Those are the two bikes that get my heart pumping just looking at them. The only other thing that looks like a lot of fun is a Hypermotard to go full retard on.

To this day, I think I would have given up riding if I started on a 250, 500 even, the 600 inline 4 was barely just enough.