600 mile service?

Gusm91

Hey guys!

I'm about to hit 600 miles soon on my new FZ8. Do you guys recommend I take it to a dealer and pay $280? I have a friend that I've known for several years that has a motorcycle shop. Hes been fixing my bikes since the first bike I've ever had. He told me he'd do it for $120 depending on the type of oil I want. He said he would check everything the dealer checks which includes bolts, clutch, cables, etc...What do you guys think? Also, what brand of oil should I use and what weight? Thanks guys!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
If you can change your oil, I would do that yourself and ask them to lube and tighten everything. should take your price waaaaay down.

I'm at 2200 and I haven't taken into the dealership yet lol, I keep adding mods and forgetting to take it up there....

Primo87

I would do it all myself. Im not a fan of over paying someone to do something like maintenance. I would have your friend show you some tips on what to do and maybe have him there while you do it. It will help you out in the long run when it comes to your wallet on preventative maintenance.

tri dude

I do all my own servicing. So long as you have a receipt for the oil change (even if you buy the oil/filter yourself) it is sufficient for warranty purposes. Switch to synthetic oil such as Royal Purple or Amsoil - both have been great in the bikes I have used them on :rockon:

9 Lives

Hey guys!

I'm about to hit 600 miles soon on my new FZ8. Do you guys recommend I take it to a dealer and pay $280? I have a friend that I've known for several years that has a motorcycle shop. Hes been fixing my bikes since the first bike I've ever had. He told me he'd do it for $120 depending on the type of oil I want. He said he would check everything the dealer checks which includes bolts, clutch, cables, etc...What do you guys think? Also, what brand of oil should I use and what weight? Thanks guys!

If he will do everything included in the owners manual for the first service including the throttle body sync, then that's a good deal.

Gusm91

Ok guys thanks for your inputs! Now I have a problem...My bike has 550 miles and I've had it for a 5 weeks...now the owners manual says to do the first service at 600 miles OR 1 month. I passed it by a week. Now another problem is I cannot go to a shop until next Friday to get this service done. Will this cause damage to my motorcycle?

master paper clip

I rode my bike past 1000 before I did the first oil change and she is my daily driver.... I was just so busy with work I never had te down time to do it... Now I'm religious and I use amsoil, love this stuff

Bajaedition

my only objection to doing the first service yourself is that they always point back to that service (or should I say lack of service on paper)when refusing when refusing warranty stating that they never had the chance to inspect the bike to see if there were any factory issues.
but that is me, not you

Gusm91

but can they refuse warranty if I had a paper(from a non dealership shop) proving that I did my 600 mile service?

Bajaedition

but can they refuse warranty if I had a paper(from a non dealership shop) proving that I did my 600 mile service?
guys all say I am crazy, I service my cars at the dealership I bought them from, I service my bikes from the dealership I buy them from. I have bought multible vehicles from the same place. It is called a working relationship. I get a lot of respect and leverage for doing such, if something comes up, they have records, and they also have records of me being a repeat customer.
I hardly ever have a warranty issue refused, even when I bent an axle on my jeep rock crawling, it was fixed under warranty.
you see, they know that means repeat business from me.
I say those who do not are crazy as I am way ahead on repair cost over some of my friends. They complain about stealershups, I just shrug as all those problems they complain about I do not seem to have.
Call me crazy.

MotoZen

guys all say I am crazy, I service my cars at the dealership I bought them from, I service my bikes from the dealership I buy them from. I have bought multible vehicles from the same place. It is called a working relationship. I get a lot of respect and leverage for doing such, if something comes up, they have records, and they also have records of me being a repeat customer.
I hardly ever have a warranty issue refused, even when I bent an axle on my jeep rock crawling, it was fixed under warranty.
you see, they know that means repeat business from me.
I say those who do not are crazy as I am way ahead on repair cost over some of my friends. They complain about stealershups, I just shrug as all those problems they complain about I do not seem to have.
Call me crazy.
You're crazy.

F3NIX

I do the same. In the long run its worth every penny. Especially at trade in time ;)

Sent from my phone

Bajaedition

crazy, but if I benefit from that by getting stuff done others have to pay for, that means I am getting off cheaper that the rest of the guys
If there was no benefit to going to the dealer, then why would their service facilities be full? seems I see a lot of high end vehicles in those service facilities being worked by guys who actually take baths, not like the pieces of crap I see in the non dealership garages where the mechanic looks like he has not washed his hands in several weeks.
not to mention factory training
good thing I am crazy

RoadKill

i go to the dealership i bought the bike from for anything beyond my mechanical abilities. i can always call Yamaha if i have a problem with them.

Bajaedition

I love workin on cars and bike so no way in hell I'm paying some one to do it for me
in 06 I bought a FJ Cruiser from Toyota, kept all the receipts of every service and all, around 14000 miles I started to have inner fenderwell ripping. Now this was a thing that a lot of them were having especially the ones that were offroaded a lot
I had a lot of mods, fenders skid plates winch rock rails etc, and it was known I offroaded it, had a offroad website with pictures of it on several black diamond trails.
they fixed it. the dealership and myself had a good working relationship and the fix was to cut out the inner fenderwells and weld in and paint new ones. Not a cheap warranty fix at all.
A lot of guys had the warranties denied because they off roaded the vehicles.

my difference, I let the dealer do my service. He values me as a customer and knows when I trade the vehicle in he has all records and such
I get a lot of benefits from it also like great prices from dealers I deal with.

Now I do not take either of my CJs tot he Jeep dealership, sheesh they are both over 40 years old, I get the pleasure of working on them, welding up mods for them etc. But a vehicle that is worth money, that is a completely different thing.

Now take it however you want
if you want to save the first service money, go ahead
but if you have a problem 3000 miles later and the dealer says it is going cost 2500 to fix it because he has no record of ever having seen the bike during the important 600 mile service where he makes sure everything is going a the factory wants it to. nothing is showing premature wear or is out of alignment, do not complain because you did not let him have it that one time.

seen that happen a lot, the first 600 mile service is kind of important to let them do.

like I said, do as you please, it is just my experience that some things do not pay off to do yourself until later on.

RoadKill

i agree that the 600 mile service is important to have on record for warranty.
The checklist is pretty long for that service and includes a lot of checks to make sure everything is together and running correctly. it's not just an oil change.

cambo

Avid Rider
in 06 I bought a FJ Cruiser from Toyota, kept all the receipts of every service and all, around 14000 miles I started to have inner fenderwell ripping. Now this was a thing that a lot of them were having especially the ones that were offroaded a lot
I had a lot of mods, fenders skid plates winch rock rails etc, and it was known I offroaded it, had a offroad website with pictures of it on several black diamond trails.
they fixed it. the dealership and myself had a good working relationship and the fix was to cut out the inner fenderwells and weld in and paint new ones. Not a cheap warranty fix at all.
A lot of guys had the warranties denied because they off roaded the vehicles.

my difference, I let the dealer do my service. He values me as a customer and knows when I trade the vehicle in he has all records and such
I get a lot of benefits from it also like great prices from dealers I deal with.

Now I do not take either of my CJs tot he Jeep dealership, sheesh they are both over 40 years old, I get the pleasure of working on them, welding up mods for them etc. But a vehicle that is worth money, that is a completely different thing.

Now take it however you want
if you want to save the first service money, go ahead
but if you have a problem 3000 miles later and the dealer says it is going cost 2500 to fix it because he has no record of ever having seen the bike during the important 600 mile service where he makes sure everything is going a the factory wants it to. nothing is showing premature wear or is out of alignment, do not complain because you did not let him have it that one time.

seen that happen a lot, the first 600 mile service is kind of important to let them do.

like I said, do as you please, it is just my experience that some things do not pay off to do yourself until later on.

would love to see some pics of your offroad beasts! I tried to turn an F-150 into an off roader. and then ran out of money. after I bought the truck.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to threadjack. For the sake of sticking with the subject, here's some more opinions. I started the same topic when I was going through it. I ended up going to the dealership...just for that piece of mind. Also because I was still new to the idea of tinkering with the bike and didn't trust myself. I handled the oil change just fine...but left everything else to the dealership. They knocked off quite a chunk of change because I did the oil change myself.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-gene...ou-recommend-600-mile-service-dealership.html

Last edited:

Gusm91

Ok, thanks for the replies guys! what oil do you guys recommend and what weight or example 20-40? idk sorry for the noob questions Ive never done any oil changes myself on any of my bikes but it just looks wayyyy to easy to have a mechanic do it for me. any suggestions ?