2013 FZ8 - finally came in

alexk

Weekend Rider
So, I picked up my 2013 FZ8 (0.1 miles on the clock) after months of waiting, and put 39 miles on it.

It's amazing how much different those 39 miles felt than the 6 miles I put on the test ride (a 2012). I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to the changes in the bike, but here goes:

• I can't slide my ass side to side on the new seat, but I can slide forward and back.

• I don't see the pinstripes while riding, so I'm not about to call them ugly. =p

• The clutch seems stiffer. I remarked on how soft the clutch was on the 2012, and holding this one in makes my forearm burn (yeah yeah yeah, there's a wanking joke in there)

• I'm noticing I seem to carry more weight on my arms in a downhill and while braking on the 2013. I didn't notice this at all on the 2012. I need to work out how to sit to minimize this. More situps perhaps, and definitely more tank-squeezing in my future.
General remarks:

• The brakes on this thing feel great. On my old bike (a Buell Blast with really sticky tires), I'd lock up the rear brake all too easily. With the FZ8, I can put a LOT more braking into the rear. I assume that has to do with stiffer springs reducing weight transfer.

• I need more practice shifting, and need to be better about making sure my foot comes off the shifter between upshifts - occasionally I think I've shifted up, only to find out otherwise. As I get the practice, I'm finding it easier and easier to tag my upshifts using the side of my boot. The engine revs up and down so easily though that I need to re-learn rev-matching. =p

• Stock headlight aim was terribad - most of its low beam light went into the trees. Once adjusted I can see almost as well as I could with the last bike (aftermarket sealed->h4 conversion). I still don't like the Decepticon head burned into the road ahead of me (pic here). Time will tell if I want to go HID.

• The front corner markers (or driving lights, or whatever you want to call them) can be a little distracting, but anything that makes me more visible is a welcome addition.

• The rear turn indicators aren't functioning as corner markers/driving lights. I wish they did, and will need to look into the wiring to see what's needed to turn the second filament on. I may need to buy a second set of front indicators and splice them in.

• I'm not going to try adjusting the suspension until I get a LOT more seat time. There doesn't appear to be anything overtly wrong with the suspension out of the box, so I don't feel the need to fiddle with even preload/static sag. Yet.

• The hazard switch (emergency blinkers) don't appear to be equipped for US models. Yamaha installed a tiny plastic plug in its place. This may mean different blinker relays for different countries.

• Putting the bike's weight onto the kickstand is a very uncomfortable experience - it creaks, groans, and I can feel the kickstand bend to meet the pavement. It can get VERY windy out here, so faith in a kickstand is important, and mine is shaken. I've found I can minimize this by not having any weight on the bike when I put it down, and by turning the handles left BEFORE putting it down. Still unpleasant to do though.

• Wow... this thing is a crotch-cooker if you get stuck at a light.
Changes already done:

• Installed KisanTech headlight and brakelight modulators. The brake light modulator uses a halogen bulb that's significantly brighter than stock at the same wattage. The headlight modulator is a bit more controversial, but having seen the roaming biker packs in Austin for ROT Rally, the bikers with the modulators REALLY stand out.

• Installed Motovation spools and sliders

• Adjusted the brake lever to the closest position. Engagement just feels too far away at the stock setting

So far, this is a massive improvement for me, and I'm really happy with it. Thanks all for the years of posts - this community is a major reason I chose the FZ8.

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Congrats Alexk, lots of good info. How is the throttle on/off and engine braking? My vmax is a bit of a brute so I'm curious haha.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Congrats on the new ride! I like the new color scheme and the stripes, although I think they should have made the strips matte instead of gloss. ;)

For the front markers, can you maybe plasti-dip the upper edge to create an eyelid that blocks the rider POV of the light?

As for the suspension, you should set the static sag for your rider+gear weight right now, then concentrate on other settings afterward. Setting the sag properly will tell you all you need to know for further adjustments. As we all know, if sag isn't set, you really cannot make any adjustments effectively.

Excellent write-up! Keep the rubber side down and have a great ride!

alexk

Weekend Rider
Congrats Alexk, lots of good info. How is the throttle on/off and engine braking? My vmax is a bit of a brute so I'm curious haha.

My pleasure.

I didn't experience much transition difficulties on the 2012 test ride, but I can say that so far the bike is only as smooth as I am. If I chop the throttle for any reason, there's a bit of a lurch. If I roll off smoothly, the transition is seamless.

That said, I'm keeping the revs under 6,000 for the initial breakin, and that means higher gears than in normal riding.

In comparison to other bikes:

Carbuerated Buell Blast - The FZ8's rolloff is smoother in all gears when transitioning from throttle to engine braking.

Suzuki SFV650 Gladius - The FZ8's rolloff is infinitely smoother. The Suzi bucks like a mule, and the solution was to feather the clutch for every rolloff.

Last edited:

master paper clip

Just so your aware u can adjust the height of the shift lever, loosen the nuts on the shift rod and u can spin the rod to raise or lower the lever

alexk

Weekend Rider
Indeed. I'm personally not a fan of adjusting until I know whether the problem lies with my skill or with the hardware - I don't want to be the musician who blames his guitar when he hasn't learned his chords.

I'm getting better and better with the shifter, and the boots im wearing mean i hit the shifter with the side of the boot rather than the toe, so that helps.

The item I do need to adjust, though, is the headlight. It's set so ridiculously high that the low beams illuminate the trees. I can see the height adjustment screw, but its obscured by the lower mounting just enough that I can't get a socket in there.

Anybody have a nifty idea to turn the vertical adjustment screw while the headlight is still on the bike? Seems counter intuitive to have to remove the unit first (though that's what the service manual says...)

DanS

Commuter
Indeed. I'm personally not a fan of adjusting until I know whether the problem lies with my skill or with the hardware - I don't want to be the musician who blames his guitar when he hasn't learned his chords.

I'm getting better and better with the shifter, and the boots im wearing mean i hit the shifter with the side of the boot rather than the toe, so that helps.

The item I do need to adjust, though, is the headlight. It's set so ridiculously high that the low beams illuminate the trees. I can see the height adjustment screw, but its obscured by the lower mounting just enough that I can't get a socket in there.

Anybody have a nifty idea to turn the vertical adjustment screw while the headlight is still on the bike? Seems counter intuitive to have to remove the unit first (though that's what the service manual says...)
You don't need to remove the headlight just the plastic cover on the left side of the headlight assembly. You can reach the adjuster with an 8mm wrench.

Congrats on the new ride!!

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
Hmm... could have sworn it was on the 12 I test rode.

Oh well. Updated original post. Thanks all!

DLSGAP

Maybe it's only on the euro model? I've seen it in pics of some

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk