Washing your bike.

TallGuyNW

Note to self... Never again attempt to clean the seat using Meguiars spray leather conditioner (or probably ANY leather conditioner). Man that makes for a slippery seat :eek:

JSP

Administrator
Note to self... Never again attempt to clean the seat using Meguiars spray leather conditioner (or probably ANY leather conditioner). Man that makes for a slippery seat :eek:

Ha! Dont ride with a passenger for a while. Done that myself. Hit the brake and bam! Wife nails ya from behind and your boys are smashed proper into the tank. :eek:

Fazer401

Washing the matte FZ8

Wanted to share a remarkable product I've been using to clean the matte paint scheme. If you're anything like me, it kills you a little to take a hose to your bike, and I can gladly say I will never use a hose on a bike again. I see a little dust, or some cocky poopy and I whip out the microfiber towel and 5 minutes and done. So for the matte paint, I found this stuff called WIZARDS motorcycle detailer for matte finishes. Is that perfect or what? I had to order it because nobody had it around me,maybe you'll be luckier. It cleans very nicely, leaves no residues or waxes or anything. This matte paint looks badazz but its finicky, and you don't want to "over wash" it and make it come through shiny...from my little bit of research Wizards is used on high-end vehicles with matte paint i.e. Lambo's,BMW's,etc. Good enough for a Gallardo, good enough for me! On anything glossy, I use this stuff by Meguiars called wash and wax anywhere, picked it up at Hellmart. This stuff is AWESOME, perfect for a glossy paint bike, or your car. I wash my whole truck with it between real deal washes where I can hose off the undercarriage, and birdshit, and mud and crap...but on a bike you could use it INSTEAD of washing the ole fashioned way. It gives you the moisture/cushion you need to wipe away dust/dirt without scratching the paint and then leaves it ridiculously shiny, glossy, and waxed up. Get yourself a couple of big super-soft micro-fiber towels and go to town. Either paint you have, matte or glossy, these'll save you time and keep the water off your ride. I know you can blow dry your bike but after a few years you start to get that little bit of rust in all the places where a little moisture sat, it sucks. Hope this helps someone out, keep er clean!

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
When washing my FZ8, I use a bucket of warm water and pour over the entire bike.

Then I use Armorall Ultra Shine Wash and Wax mixed with water and use a soft sponge to wash the bike. I use a separate sponge for the wheels.

Then I as use as many buckets of water as it takes to get the soap off.

From there I use a terry cloth or a microfiber towel to wipe down off the water so it doesn't spot. Again, use a separate one for the wheels.

I let it air dry for a little (like an hour or so).

Finally, I use Liquid Performance Spray Cleaner polish with a new terry cloth or microfiber to get that nice shine.

Last edited:

pigdog

original bike spirits. when i put water to my road star warrior, the voltage reg. connector shorted & melted

bones92

Okay, this might sound stupid, but could you go to a self service car wash and wash your bike? I have the 2012 matte finish btw.

Jwood9

Ok this thread has a ton of info but i can't quite narrow it down

I have the 2012 matte finish and have been washing it without wax for about a year and it looks as great as the day i bought it...

Who is using a spray and wipe on the 2012 finish and is happy with it? What options are safe for the matte finish?

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Ok this thread has a ton of info but i can't quite narrow it down

I have the 2012 matte finish and have been washing it without wax for about a year and it looks as great as the day i bought it...

Who is using a spray and wipe on the 2012 finish and is happy with it? What options are safe for the matte finish?

Liquid Performance Spray Cleaner polish works very well. I use it on my entire bike, with the exception of my windscreen (which I use a safe glass cleaner).

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on the Matte finish compared to a glossy finish.

Naomi

So what products are people using in the UK?

I've trawled through the replies and it seems that a lot of these products are available only in the US. They may be good, but I object to paying more on postage than on the product itself!

So, what are people in the UK using? I'd like to explore the waterless cleaner option, but there are so many options. Recommendations, people?

Thanks!

melbfz8

i like to use a bucket and hose, and of course a sponge with some car wash solution in the bucket. its always fun. sorry boys. i dont have a pic of some hotty in a bikini but this will do ;)
View attachment 2199

tjfisher

I wait till it rains then get a sponge and soap ,at the same time I bring a bar of soap for myself . Go Green !!! .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

xXAvroArrowXx

I personally do not do anything but soap and water to clean my bike but I hear this works great for getting buts off and also for a quick shine. I use the same stuff to clean bugs off of my helmet. Hands down the best cleaner out there for what you're talking about...

Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish:
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89784&stc=1&d=1293172186

The old formula of Honda SC&P was way better, it literally lifted bug guts off after a few seconds of dwell time & gave a real deep gloss with minimal effort (just wipe off and light buffing with a micro fiber). They since added carnauba to it and its def harder to buff and doesn't gloss up as well. But fear not: you can still get the old formula sold as Original Bike Spirits & Polish. IDK if they made it for Honda or of Honda sold the recipe but this is said to be the original Honda formula and it works sooooooo well. (A bit harder to find though). http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

Primo87

Im a big fan of soap and water and a bucket. I just used it today on my bike and car. (both black) After wards i Hit it with the black magic turtle wax. that stuff does wonders, and it is way easier than waxing the car. Alot less surface area.