Washing your bike.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
An easier to manage alternative to a leaf blower is a colman air mattress inflator. I picked one up a few years ago for it's intended purpose but while washing my bonnie figured I would give it a shot. Works AWESOME and was cheap. Much easier than trying to manhandle a leaf blower into nooks and crannies. Got mine at Target with the camping stuff but I 'd imagine you could find one anywhere that type of stuff is sold. Or, even online.

Sschwar4

Since it does rain occasionally, get stuck behind a hay truck, or the worst ever, being sprayed from a horse or cow carrier, water is the only way to get the road grunge and other crap off.

Mr Moto or Motul Moto Wash
Maxima Cleanup chain cleaner
Chain brush (o-ring approved)
Micro clothes
Nu Finish on buggy areas (come off easier later)
Motul Factory Line Extra Power Chain Lube
WD40 to clean pipe areas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bobbyb

shop vac

after a water wash, blow dry with my shop vac on "blow" instead of vaccum. wax and enjoy the view!
B

cpatt

what i do is spray it down with some griots spray wax wipe that off then go back with the spray wax and a clay bar and clay all the plastics. then i hit it with a coat of jet seal from chemical guys. thing looks wet all the time its amazing!. but thats also a lot of work so i only do it around once a month or so. when it needs to get the bugs and stuff off ill just hit it with a hose

97audia4

Im about the wash the bike for the time since i own it and Im worried about the air intake on the tank. There is a motorcycle washing station at a carwash near by that i used to use on my cbr but that thing was old and didnt car to much. The wash has a high powered air blower which is a huge plus.

Ignacio-Arg

Last edited:

FZh8in

For quick washes I use S100 aerosol. Just wet the bike, spray the S100 on, then hose it off. It works really well if your bike isn't too buggy.

Wolf_Hook

I just use Plexus and some Cost Co micro fibers on all the plastics.

I go over the rims and metal parts with a de-greaser and a coarse rag.

I also clean and lube the chain.

This gets done every Sunday, since I commute to work 100miles a day round trip. At least until they start closing the Cajon Pass due to weather, then I start taking the car. Gotta love So Cal weather.

Lee_533

Simple Green for me. I use the spray bottle for quick wipedowns and if I ever do fully wash it I mix up a bucket of water and simple green. I've been told not to use it but both of my buddies have been using it for years on their bikes and never had a problem. The bugs come off like nothing.

self-propelled

The best way I've found to remove bugs is to dampen a soft cotton cloth and put it in a microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. Get it to where it's almost to hot to handle. Bug guts come off with little to no pressure. It will leave a few water spots, but a quick wipe with a micro cloth and a little spray wax it will look perfect.

F

Fazed

The best way I've found to remove bugs is to dampen a soft cotton cloth and put it in a microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. Get it to where it's almost to hot to handle. Bug guts come off with little to no pressure. It will leave a few water spots, but a quick wipe with a micro cloth and a little spray wax it will look perfect.

Thanks for that tip. Having a black bike, the bugs are a real problem. I'll try it this weekend.

FZER

Avid Rider
Times two on heat. Hot water and car wash soap does great for removing bugs. For quick detailing try some windex wipes.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I have the matte 12' version. yamaha says no wax. I have been using the honda spray cleaner/degreaser on the whole bike. I let it sit for a minute or so then spray it down with the hose, then a dry with "the absorber". that thing is magic... bugs come off pretty easy with that honda spray. but for me the key is to just get off my ass and do it. I live in a dusty/buggy agriculture area so I try and get her cleaned 2 times a week.

gotta try a small leaf blower to get some of those tough water spot areas that sounds rad

Niko

Each time I arrive I use a Nenette [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/NENETTE-Brush-NENETOL-Fluid-LEGENDARY/dp/B00359JTCI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/NENETTE-Brush-NENETOL-Fluid-LEGENDARY/dp/B00359JTCI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1[/ame] to remove dust, bugs rests and it prevents of the scratchs.

After I use Micro fiber with GS 27 against bugs and sometimes GS 27 dry shampoo. My bike is like the first day after 5000 km.
To clean the rear whell, i just remove the dust with an old t-shirt. I have no lube on it because I use Profy Dry Lube instead of Ipone Chain lub or other. Its almost clean as the front wheel.

Last edited:

RnR

To the OP looking for something to clean without getting out the bucket and hose. I'm on my 2nd bottle of this stuff - Optimum Opti Clean Concentrate. I'd recommend it. It's great for quick cleaning without getting water everywhere you don't want it. You can still follow up with a final detailer, like a liquid spray wax.

Fizzer8

I hose down to begin with to loosen the crud. I'll then use Autoglym motorcycle cleaner section at a time to avoid it drying. After this I'll degrease the crud on the wheels and swingarm using Autoglym degreaser.

I'll dry bike by hand ( have to invest in leaf blower )

My FZ8 is shined up nicely with Autoglym spray on shine which works on plastics and bodywork.

I do all parts under bike and exhaust pipes with ACF-50. The ACF-50 is also used to lubricate joints etc.

chain clean and relube to finish.

I love the smell of ACF-50 warming when I take it out for the weekend run!

Last edited:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
What temperature is safe to wash the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatever temperature you are currently in. or if you are refering to water temp, well I have used hot and cold with no problems. with hot water the bugs come off better