Washing your bike.

trixster8

Just thought I would start a thread about washing the bike, so we can share some tips on keeping it looking good. I learned real fast that this black FZ8 is a lot harder to keep clean than my yellow Honda. I just washed it yesterday, basically just hosed it down, then washed it with some soapy water (turtle was soap) using a microfiber cloth, rinsed it, and used "The Absorber" to dry it off and keep it from spotting. It turned out pretty good, some spots here and there.

Does anyone use anything to wipe it down real quick and get the bugs off, without having to get the hose out and completely wash it?

SpunkyTheTuna

Been using an electric leaf blower to dry bikes for years and years. Helps prevent spots and gets the water out of those hard to reach crevices and such. There are some guys selling basically the same cheapo devices rebranded with some kind of ridiculous RealBiker name for way too much money. Any cheap hardware store leaf blower works just fine.

i use meguiars spray on wax! it wipes almost all the left over waters spots off!!! just spray on in little sections and rub off works well and really quick!

Rgraphic

I've only been using original bike spirits (originally honda spray cleaner & polish) and a micro fiber cloth. Amazing stuff and cleans and protects everything (painted,chrome,plastic,rubber,etc). Bike still looks like the day I bought it and never had to use a hose. I'm just sure to give it a quick wipe down after each ride to prevent dirt build up that could scratch the finish when cleaning.

D

DJK1505

Rgraphic, Im right there with you. I got it home wiped it down, hand waxed it, and since then have used that waterless car wash with wax. Looks like it just came out of the paint booth. And quick wipe downs after each ride keeps it easy to clean.

D

Deleted member 438

I've only been using original bike spirits (originally honda spray cleaner & polish) and a micro fiber cloth. Amazing stuff and cleans and protects everything (painted,chrome,plastic,rubber,etc). Bike still looks like the day I bought it and never had to use a hose. I'm just sure to give it a quick wipe down after each ride to prevent dirt build up that could scratch the finish when cleaning.

I've been using Honda pro cleaner for ten years, and I agree with you that it's amazing. I wash with soap and water to get rid of the heavy dirt and then I go over it with the Honda pro cleaner to give it that showroom shine. Trixter, the Honda pro cleaner is great for touch up cleaning. Honda's chain lube is also awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

gearjunky13

I like turtle wax ice for quick cleen ups with a micro fiber cloth so it wont scrach the plastics, it works grate with no white residue

djcecil

deionized water in a squirt bottle will give you a spot free rinse if you live in a hard water area. only a buck or less a gallon and a decent spray bottle is at lowes, etc. just mist it down after you rinse off the soap with the hose.

C

Camo

I use Maguires products..Gold class wash, Spray detailer for inbetween washes and I give it a coat of yellow wax every month or so.

I hose it down, soap it up making sure to get under the tail and around the wheels then hose it off. As someone already mentioned, a cheap leaf blower to blow all the excess out the hard to get to places then I use a chamois to get that spot free finish. I then wax it up and rub it down with a micro fibre cloth. Maguires glass cleaner for the mirrors and dash and an old rag with WD-40 to wipe the chain goo and brake dust from the wheels.

I enjoy cleaning my bikes and I generally wash after a really good ride..Well late in the afternoon after it's cooled down and I can justify a few beers!

FaZerick8

Like Rgraphic, I use Original Bike Spirits and a microfiber cloth. Bike looks like new after every ride.

Zedderate

I use quality products for washing my bike. However no matter how carefull I am with the sponge, I find the matt black finish scratches really easily from the fine road grime that doesnt come off with the first rinse. I reckon it wont be long before that finish starts to look dull and aged.
Any tips?

Crazywb23

Bike Spirits,

Some soap, water and then the real bike spirits is the only way to go. I like the leaf blower idea though. gonna have to try that this weekend

Speedo007

Sometimes I just use Plexus to clean the bike when I want a quick wash without needing to get all the heavy artillery out. Just slightly remove dust with a microfiber cloth then I use a clean cloth apply Plexus to it and shine away. Works great. Once a year I put a good coat of wax on all the shiny black parts.

And I agree with previous posts about WD-40 to remove chain goo from rear wheel. Then I just remove the WD-40 with soapy water. Works great!

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I never take a hose to my bike. Wet a microfiber cloth with warm water, wipe it ,then imediatly wipe again with a dry microfiber cloth. Wax it twice a month.

packnrat

were i live one should never wash a bike, car, truck, rv with the water here.

it is so hard the chunks will dent the body, and chip the paint. :eek:

V

Vapordan

Been using an electric leaf blower to dry bikes for years and years. Helps prevent spots and gets the water out of those hard to reach crevices and such. There are some guys selling basically the same cheapo devices rebranded with some kind of ridiculous RealBiker name for way too much money. Any cheap hardware store leaf blower works just fine.

I've never thought of that, but it is the ultimate tool come to think about it. Everybody's got one and the air will get inside the deepest crevice.

V

Vapordan

I never take a hose to my bike. Wet a microfiber cloth with warm water, wipe it ,then imediatly wipe again with a dry microfiber cloth. Wax it twice a month.

You should though. The fine dirt on the microfiber will leave swirl marks eventually. Hose it, she's not going to catch a cold. While the water is running, use the microfiber to wipe lightly in the direction of the running water to remove the fine dust. But then again, that method is just for fanatics that get all ig about scuffs and swirl marks.