Yamaha FZ8 Fly Screen

trixster8

I installed the Yamaha fly screen and finally put on some miles behind it. I feel a difference in wind protection. Don't get me wrong, it's no touring shield, but it does take some of that wind blast off your chest. I'm the type that will ride to work in the morning, freezing my a** off, just to have a nice ride home from work. This fly screen will help that cold morning commute. I think it's worth the money and doesn't change the apperance of the bike much.

I'd like to add that it comes with a foam block (1"x1"x4") that Yamaha recommends you install under the fly screen. It's suppose to block any light reflection from the headlight. I didn't install it because it looks cheap and the little reflection doesn't bother me.

Here are a few pics.

trixster8

I really like the mirrors (Rizoma Dynamics), got them from PJs parts a few years ago for my Honda. They're a little expensive but very well built. Compared to stock, I'd say they're just as good. Just a little smaller mirror surface, a lot slimmer, and all aluminum. Although, I didn't give the stock mirrors much chance, I changed them after the first ride.

trixster8

Yes, a light blue tint, it's suppose to help with glare and headlight brightness. Plus it looks pretty slick.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i see you decided (as i just did) not to go with the trim piece, can i ask why?

i was never a huge fan of the flyscreen until i got to see it from the drivers position. it seems to balance out the entire indicator area much better. and in typical wisconsin tradition its too freakin' cold to ride after the install, switching between drizzle and snow.

trixster8

I don't like how the trim looks, its not as clean. I don't think it serves any purpose. Plus, you don't see it on any other bikes.

lothodon

Super Moderator
couldn't agree more.

i am considering painting the underside black, since i, well, like black. was going to wrap in in carbon fiber vinyl but i like the fz8 logo, very understated.

lothodon

Super Moderator
well i did it. i painted the underside black and it turned out ok at best. looks great from the outside in but sitting on the bike there is a lot of reflection underneath. i just got some new foam to fill the gap and hopefully dim the light passing through.

i also ditched the black plastic screws (hate plastic) for some nice stainless allen bolts. fits the look of the bike better and i'm not afraid of stripping them out.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i got mine for 119 us and it's not 119 dollars worth of material, but it helps with wind redirection and it looks great so i do not regret the purchase. 80 would have been a much better/accurate price imo.

hypo

Yes, I picked one up a week ago. And I'm about two hours from Hollister.

well if your butt starts telling you it wants a new seat, Corbin is in Hollister and needs to check out your bike... heck I'll send you gas money. :)

Gondy351

I just sent them a e-mail in regards to using my bike.

I only take cash for gas money.... Just kidding.

I'll let you know what they say soon as I hear back.