yamaha dealer service

atxthefons

all the yamaha dealers in my area (austin,tx) have horrible reviews for service. Very horrible reviews! So with that said does anyone in this area have good things to say about Woods fun center,or Central Texas powersports service. i just bought a 2012 fz8 3000 miles. Need to take it in for service but im thinking it might be wise to take it to a mechanic instead of a dealer. My only concern is that the dealer might have specialty tools that a mechanic wouldn't have access to.
if someone in this area knows of a good mechanic that works on yamahas please let me know. i dont want to take it to one of these dealers. thanks.

ebourn89

what kind of service are you wanting done on it? and if you don't mind me asking how much you pay for the bike?

Woody146

Banned
Buy some full synthetic oil..an oil drip pan..and a k&n oil filter and go to town! 14 mm drain plug I believe..takes 3.1 quarts or measure out 3100 ml with a Pyrex dish

They will charge you close to 200 for that..which in raw materials..is 75$

That being said..I still take my bike to a professional for some things I can't do..f u c k yamaha..unless an extremely refutable dealer..they just want your $

Best is to find a small shop that does race prep or suspension or insurance work..they are the ones who care the most about you and your bike.

bpassmore8

It is super easy. The drain plug maybe super tight the first time and have to be loosened up with some wd-40 or something and remember that the dumb thing is reverse threaded which i found out after cranking on it for like 10 minutes

atxthefons

what kind of service are you wanting done on it? and if you don't mind me asking how much you pay for the bike?

$6000 came with two brother carbon exhaust, fz8 radiator cover, fz8 frame sliders, yamaha spools, fz8 fly screen, yoshimura eliminator kit, and some 30 dollar bar ends. brand new condition not a scratch or scuff anywhere on the bike. came with manual and 3 keys.

i didn't get any service record so i wanted to take it in for a "check up" oil change/chain tighten. basically check the bike to make sure nothing needs to be done. i think the brakes need some attention. they sounds like their rubbing when not engaging the brake. i would also like to have the suspension adjusted to fit my weight, i understand that this will make a nice difference in how the bike feels through turns. what do you guys think?

thanks for all the advise everyone. its very appreciated:)

Woody146

Banned
$6000 came with two brother carbon exhaust, fz8 radiator cover, fz8 frame sliders, yamaha spools, fz8 fly screen, yoshimura eliminator kit, and some 30 dollar bar ends. brand new condition not a scratch or scuff anywhere on the bike. came with manual and 3 keys.

i didn't get any service record so i wanted to take it in for a "check up" oil change/chain tighten. basically check the bike to make sure nothing needs to be done. i think the brakes need some attention. they sounds like their rubbing when not engaging the brake. i would also like to have the suspension adjusted to fit my weight, i understand that this will make a nice difference in how the bike feels through turns. what do you guys think?

thanks for all the advise everyone. its very appreciated:)

I feel you on the look over..I would do the same...as for the suspension...your on a 12..you don't really have options...only the 8 settings that are on the rear shock...it comes in the middle..take the tool kit out of the tail..find the claw looking tool, get your manual..and turn 1 click and ride around or just sit on..up to you..took me almost 2 years to figure out the suspension was even that much adjustable(rear only..stuck with the front as it has no adjustments) I ended up on 7 or 8 of 9 but even then..it's still crap..look into suspension upgrades ASAP..r1 shock conversion/ fork and wheel conversion...or fz1 shock and forks internals, or ditch it all and get some after market (I just did that..it was worth the 700$ for the hyperpro streetbox)

atxthefons

I feel you on the look over..I would do the same...as for the suspension...your on a 12..you don't really have options...only the 8 settings that are on the rear shock...it comes in the middle..take the tool kit out of the tail..find the claw looking tool, get your manual..and turn 1 click and ride around or just sit on..up to you..took me almost 2 years to figure out the suspension was even that much adjustable(rear only..stuck with the front as it has no adjustments) I ended up on 7 or 8 of 9 but even then..it's still crap..look into suspension upgrades ASAP..r1 shock conversion/ fork and wheel conversion...or fz1 shock and forks internals, or ditch it all and get some after market (I just did that..it was worth the 700$ for the hyperpro streetbox)

yeah this will probably be the first upgrade i do. thanks for the info woody. i was just looking at yr mini photo shoot. sounds like the hyperpro is the way to go. your bike is a beauty BWT! love those rear sets you have. thanks for the help man.

thach1130

It is super easy. The drain plug maybe super tight the first time and have to be loosened up with some wd-40 or something and remember that the dumb thing is reverse threaded which i found out after cranking on it for like 10 minutes

Uh no, what the hell are you talking about? It is not reverse thread. Don't go giving wrong instruction if you're not going to pay for repair.

Woody146

Banned
yeah this will probably be the first upgrade i do. thanks for the info woody. i was just looking at yr mini photo shoot. sounds like the hyperpro is the way to go. your bike is a beauty BWT! love those rear sets you have. thanks for the help man.

No worries brotha..thank you! She is my pride and joy

matto27

I have been to woods fun center twice and I will never go back. they have the worst customer service i have ever experienced at a dealer. I did the r1 shock swap on my bike and it did help quite a bit though I need to change the springs on the forks and the shock as I am 240 lbs. I bought my bike all the way up in burleson at burleson powersports (i live in round rock) and they were a great dealer to work with. They will take care of you if you make the trip up there. I have also gone to synthetic oil. As much as I hate to shop at walmart they have synthetic motorcycle oil for 8.50 a quart which is 4.00 cheaper than cycle gear. Someone here at the forum has posted compatible oil filters for the bike that you can pick up at any autozone or oreilly. My bike has 14,000 miles on it and is just as happy as the day I brought it home. I am the only one to work on my bike and really enjoy doing it. I just changed out the plugs and tightened up the chain. The guys on this site have posted awesome articles for how tos for just about anything you would ever want to do to your bike. Hope to see you around town!

Last edited: