Wrist / thumb support

Motogpmad

I suffer from Arthritis in my left thumb and also slightly in both my wrists. This is one of the reasons i chose the FZ8 as my new ride. I have had sports bikes for many years but now my wrist's just cannot take hours of riding leant forward. Does anybody else have this issue and can anyone recommend a decent thumb / wrist support to wear while riding. I have found a company in the USA that sells a support called "The thumb thing" but they refuse to sell me one because i am outside the USA. They do not take international payments, not even by paypal. Not even to UK buyers??

Can anybody recommend anything or a company that do similar things?
Cheers,Mark

black8

I suffer from white finger,which is why ive put heated grips on mine which seems to keep them so i can feel them,i also suffer from carpul tunnel in both wrists which going to get operated on hopefully this year.

Motogpmad

Shit isn't it mate. i just been having treatment for my wrists and thumb through private healthcare. been a total waste of time. I had electrolisis tests for carpul tunnel which came out negative. Basicly after 4 weeks of consultations i am no wiser than i was before. Consultant basicly told me to live with it and to keep taking pain killers. Bloody useless. I have all the symptoms of carpul tunnel, knumb fingers, pain in my fore arms, shooting pains in my hand and wrists and fingers. I also have pretty bad arthritis in my left thumb. Everytime i move it it clicks and hurts like mad. Apparently im too young to have an operation on it????
I broke my scaphoid a few years ago in a track day crash. I dont think has any cause though as the symptoms im getting are in both my wrists and hands.

Might go NHS and see what they have say. In the meantime i need to get some kind of support for when im riding. Got a long trip to assen in june to watch motogp. need to get something sorted for then.

ian1953

Can't you just get a simple clip on for your throttle, you rest your palm into it, and it leaves your fingers free, ideal for cruising, don't know if it is any good to you

Motogpmad

A very kind gentelman from this forum is going to order a couple for me and ship them to the uk :)

The power of world wide forums.

ian1953

That's what makes this forum one of the best I've been associated with, great people who are willing to help others with advice and help.

Ian :rockon::tup:

ssky0078

I suffer from white finger,which is why ive put heated grips on mine which seems to keep them so i can feel them,i also suffer from carpul tunnel in both wrists which going to get operated on hopefully this year.

Before you get surgery I would actually get your neck and shoulder fully evaluated. Only about 30% of carpal tunnel surgery are effective and on top of that some result in worse pain. What happens for many people that have carpal tunnel symptoms is that it starts in the neck and shoulder. If you have what is called forward head carriage and/or rounded shoulders both of those contribute to reducing the nerve flow and blood flow. An easy check is to press firmly in the dimple between your shoulder and pectoral muscle (the pectoralis minor trigger point) and if you get a pain or numbness down the arm that is the source of your problem. The other location is on the side of the neck that is called the scalene trigger point and it will shoot the pain down your shoulder and sometimes arm.

My qualifications for providing this information, I'm a doctor and worked in chronic pain management for going on 6 years now. I've seen both the before and after CTS surgery. The people I was able to help prior to the surgery were very grateful that they didn't need the surgery.

Never just let a surgeon check you out, because they are only going to see surgical opportunities $$$$.