With your add ons, how much power are you making?

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Haha. So when i put the jet kits in and retune by moving the clip on the needle and adjusting the mixture screws, its the same concept but you use a computer instead. The jet kits are usually too lean for Indiana. So i richen them up do to elevation, average temp, and the other regional variables. Now i have to work on it with a computer and not get my hands dirty. Now the sense of accomplishment isn't there, or the burning sensation from gas spilling on your cut fingers. LOL

Buy an old Triumph Bonneville! You'll be in heaven.

Wiste

I always thought that slip-ons increase power in the low RPM range. So you expect a little bit more torque and HP down low, but nothing up top. Am I wrong?

Btw! New member, love my FZ8! (Trying to decide what slip-on I want).

Harrywz

I always thought that slip-ons increase power in the low RPM range. So you expect a little bit more torque and HP down low, but nothing up top. Am I wrong?

Btw! New member, love my FZ8! (Trying to decide what slip-on I want).

Depends. Most people report power loss in the low RPM range with a slip-on. Go with a name brand, they are usually made better, well enginered better. A slip-on gives less back pressure due to being less restricted which in turn gives a louder sound and in some instances a bit better performance. In some models, Yamaha used an EXUP valve. This was in the exhaust pipe just before the muffler. It was a flap valve that was used to control exhaust flow. At low RPM, it almost closed the exhaust and at higher RPM it opened fully. This was controlled by the ECU and a servo that pulled 2 cables in different directions to open close this flap. Yamaha claimed that this increased low end torque by increasing the back pressure at the lower RPM band. While others claimed that this was just to quiet the exhaust to pass EPA noise levels. The FZ1 uses this system.

I went to a Yoshi slip on and noticed no real change in performance from the stock exhaust. The biggest change is the louder, more bike like sound with occasional popping on deceleration and on extreme revving. Plus it looks meaner than the stock look.

S

Shock

Any opinions on which slip-on is the loudest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

compensation

Any opinions on which slip-on is the loudest?

My buddy had d&d on his cbr 600 and omfg! He had to ride in the back. It was more like a megaphone since it was louder then open headers. Unless something about the angle of the pipes outlet had something to do with it.