Where do YOU make the magic happen?

cambo

Avid Rider
Gents...and...lady? Is she still around? Anyway...

My inspiration for this thread actually came from YOU all, inspiring me to try to become a DIYer. So...I invested in a bike lift, a seat with wheels, and a "Craftsman" dresser/tool chest hahaha (I stole it from my son's room, wife doesn't know it yet)...as a step towards trying out some of the stuff you guys talk about on here.

I wish I had a garage...but I don't. So I cleared out what used to be my gym and turned the underside of our deck into, what I hope will eventually be, a decent place to work on my bike!

Conveniently enough, as you can see, I left the heavy bag there so I can take out my frustrations when I FUCK UP.

Anyway, I thought it'd be cool to see where you guys "make the magic happen" and do your work. I bet there are some g'damn impressive man caves out there!

Cheers

D

DJK1505

Oh hell yeah brother. You can do everything you want right there. You need any help with anything just yell. You seen my mess I work in. no room for anything. Your working with a bit more space and better lift than me homie!

DJ

F

Fazed

I've been saying I'll get a little seat with wheels for the last 10 years. The chin up bar that I've noticed might make a good place to throw a sling over as well.

tzortn

Pillion
I've been saying I'll get a little seat with wheels for the last 10 years.

I went the cheap route and use a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot. Although I have recently upgraded a little and added a piece of foam to sit on.

Have you actually lifted the bike with that jack? How is the clearance with the exhaust?

cambo

Avid Rider
Oh hell yeah brother. You can do everything you want right there. You need any help with anything just yell. You seen my mess I work in. no room for anything. Your working with a bit more space and better lift than me homie!

DJ

haha...I want clutter too!! That means I'm up to something cool! the lift was only 99 bucks...we'll see how well it holds up! Rated for 1500lbs though.

I've been saying I'll get a little seat with wheels for the last 10 years. The chin up bar that I've noticed might make a good place to throw a sling over as well.

Yeah! that's what I was thinking too...it can hold me with 90lbs strapped to my waist...which is about 315lbs total...so I imagine that'll be solid enough to hold one end up.

cambo

Avid Rider
I went the cheap route and use a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot. Although I have recently upgraded a little and added a piece of foam to sit on.

Have you actually lifted the bike with that jack? How is the clearance with the exhaust?

Nope, not yet, literally just got it today. I'll test it out the the next time I'm free and post pics. Now that you mention the exhaust I hope it won't be an issue...

F

Fazed

Hate to be a wowser, but I think that jack is more for dirt bikes. I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bren

where do i make the magic happen? Sorry mate- my wife wont let me take a pic of our bed.... lol

Seriously though- i have a car port, attached to my garage. I work on the bike out under the carport, but fiddle with parts when off the bike in the garage.... my garage is full of gym gear so not a whole lot of room...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
My cousins and I live in an apartment with an off-unit 1 car garage/storage space. Luckily for me, the garages are slightly cumbersome to get a car in and out of SOOOOO i adopted it for my lovely FZ8! It's got a small craftsman toolbox, a box of gas oil and grease, a rear paddock stand, and a small halogen floodlamp for night wrenchin!!

F

Fazed

Also go through the How to's and look at the sort of work that you want to do to your bike. Most of the how to's will list the tools required to do that particular task. Don't cheap out on these tools as you will use them all the time.

I only have a cheapy no name brand tool kit, but the commonly used tools have been replaced with quality items. This will lessen the cost of the initial tool buy until you have the cash to splash.

cambo

Avid Rider
Fazed,

That's funny you mention the how to section. I was actually reading YOUR how to about oil changes when I decided, "yes...I can do that. I WILL DO THAT. on my own. EFF YOU DEALERSHIP!"

F

Fazed

Fazed,

That's funny you mention the how to section. I was actually reading YOUR how to about oil changes when I decided, "yes...I can do that. I WILL DO THAT. on my own. EFF YOU DEALERSHIP!"

That's my whole intention and I am happy as fuck to hear that it has helped you out. Most servicing is easy and it's criminal how much dealerships charge for it (if they do it at all and you end up with an apprentice doing it anyway). You learn more about the bike you ride, so if one day you have the misfortune of being broken down at the side of the road, you have some idea how to get going again. Also you get that feeling of pride that you achieved something.

Also if your not sure about something ask away on the forum, before breaking it ;). Someone here will give you an answer, except Hoover, as he is a grumpy bugger ;)

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
My work station is where-ever she sits when i get the whim but, I do have a shot from my gear change.:D

cambo

Avid Rider
My work station is where-ever she sits when i get the whim but, I do have a shot from my gear change.:D

haha!! that's so awesome! I imagine you hit a sweet jump and landed on the table and that's how you got it there because otherwise, I have no idea how you managed that!

cpatt

heres a horible picture of my shead when it was clean at one point.. i added an old engine block with stand. and another tool box... and its dirty as shit. needs to be cleaned but its to damn cold

and yea that buell has no forks on it... and its hanging by a ratchet strap from the rafters

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
haha!! that's so awesome! I imagine you hit a sweet jump and landed on the table and that's how you got it there because otherwise, I have no idea how you managed that!

That would have been far cooler but, the yard there is about two feet lower than the patio there in the background so we butted the table up and then my father and I picked her up and carried onto the table.