What preload setting do you use on your stock shock?

[]V[]addog

So I just got my bike, and because I read all the reviews on how shitty the stock shock was, I got very scared and already sourced a 2009 fz1 shock with more adjustment options.. I'm not even sure i will know what to do with the extra options, lol.

I will probably keep my stock shock in until the winter, or once i find I'm pushing the bike past the limits that the stock shock can handle. I will be carrying a passenger so... that might happen quick.

I thought it would be beneficial to have peoples weights and what preload setting they have.

I weight 210 and have my preload right in the middle, whatever level that is.
I find it very comfy and perfect for around town, although I have not pushed the bike hard.

What riding do you do, what is your weight and what do you find works?

alexk

Weekend Rider
240 lbs geared on a 2013:

Stock preload (5)
Stuck just fine, though probably not stiff enough given my mass

Up one (6)
Instant difference. Squirrely when turning over the same tar snakes as before. I also stiffened the front from stock by 2.25 flats at the same time, so I may need to further stiffen the front to remove that squirreliness. Still new at bike suspension.

alexk

Weekend Rider
The 2011 and 2013 have the same preload adjustment - page 3-20 in the owner's manual.

Spring preload setting:
Minimum (soft):
1​
Standard:
5​
Maximum (hard):
9​

5 being the from-the-factory setting. I'm currently running 6.

randyka

unless you're really heavy (riding 2 up all the time), you shouldn't mess with the preload too much because it does change the bike's balance and geometry a bit. if you want stiffer rear suspension, get a stiffer shock instead. i was playing around with the preload settings when i first got the bike from 5 to 7, and the bike became a lot more tail happy during very hard braking. so i went back to 5, and it became a lot harder for me the lift the tail up. just my 2 cent

randyka

depends on the weight. i put mine at a 7 for prolonged 2 up rides (~250 combined weight). right now i put mine at a 6 since usually i ride by myself with the occasional 2 up rides.

[]V[]addog

Since I'm 200 by myself, I'll probably put it up one or two and see how I like it.
Even if most people think it is not good, it is still better than my stock ninja 650 shock

master paper clip

The pre load is used to adjust the sag, cause I'm a big guy a have mine 1 down from max, before I was bouncing all over the blace... Now she just feels great, planted and responsive

RoadKill

i had mine set to 7 when i was using the stock shock. i am 179 pounds.
At 7 the preload is similar to the shock that was selected for my weight.
It gave me about an inch of sag.

F3NIX

So your suggestions....I weight 240lbs and have mine set at stock setup. Should i go up 1 or 2?