What did you pay for your Yamaha FZ8

CrazyBiker

I didn't want to be drawn into this debate. It started with the 1st post just providing the info that there are cheap FZ1s out there for the same price. Just something to ponder as I have had few pms on this forum asking their opinion on the FZ1 vs FZ8.

Frankly you are not going to feel the difference if you ride a 780 cc and a 998 cc inline four in the lower rpms. Hell, you may not even feel the difference in the lower end of a 6 and a 1. I had the FZ6 for 3 years and it was a great bike. Yamaha took the right step in the right direction with the FZ8 to provide a sport tourer that had the perfect balance. But as with Yamaha's tradition of neutering all their bikes in the lower rpms, they did the same with the FZ8 with that huge hole in the 5-7k rpm. Ivan needs to look at this bike and make the FCE. I am curious to see the charts of stock vs modded FZ8s.

And I never tried to say that FZ1 is superior to the FZ8 from a competitors perspective. It is supposed to be, isn't it otherwise Yamaha wouldn't sell both at the same time. And the big difference is the 220 cc difference.

C

Camo

So again Crazy Biker, have you spent time on an FZ8?

Who said anything about riding the bikes in the lower RPM's??
Are you just throwing 2 cents worth of FZ1 at this or have you actually had ANY experience with an FZ8?

V

Vapordan

I didn't want to be drawn into this debate. It started with the 1st post just providing the info that there are cheap FZ1s out there for the same price. Just something to ponder as I have had few pms on this forum asking their opinion on the FZ1 vs FZ8.

Frankly you are not going to feel the difference if you ride a 780 cc and a 998 cc inline four in the lower rpms. Hell, you may not even feel the difference in the lower end of a 6 and a 1. I had the FZ6 for 3 years and it was a great bike. Yamaha took the right step in the right direction with the FZ8 to provide a sport tourer that had the perfect balance. But as with Yamaha's tradition of neutering all their bikes in the lower rpms, they did the same with the FZ8 with that huge hole in the 5-7k rpm. Ivan needs to look at this bike and make the FCE. I am curious to see the charts of stock vs modded FZ8s.

And I never tried to say that FZ1 is superior to the FZ8 from a competitors perspective. It is supposed to be, isn't it otherwise Yamaha wouldn't sell both at the same time. And the big difference is the 220 cc difference.

How much did you pay for your FZ8? Just trying to stay on topic :)

CrazyBiker

So again Crazy Biker, have you spent time on an FZ8?

Who said anything about riding the bikes in the lower RPM's??
Are you just throwing 2 cents worth of FZ1 at this or have you actually had ANY experience with an FZ8?

I have test ridden one - was not impressed compared to my FZ1. But this of course after I had ridden on my fully modded FZ1 to the dealership.

C

Camo

So no.

Awesome....You've ridden round the block on one and read some of the media's take on it, don't own one and going by your last few posts have absolutely no intentions of owning one.
Refresh me on why you're here again? Oh that's right, you have the fully modded FZ1.

C

Camo

I have test ridden one - was not impressed compared to my FZ1. But this of course after I had ridden on my fully modded FZ1 to the dealership.

You go by the same name over on the other site don't you? I know you do so...

This is what you wrote up on the 05-06-2012, 04:29 PM - Let's talk about a new bike... :) - Page 8 - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

I still want to ride an FZ8.. heard they do pretty well with mods. Just wish they had made the bike atleast 30 pounds lighter like the street triple it competes with. It will easily stomp the street then....
So between then and now, you've ridden your fully mod'd FZ1 to the dealership and formed comparisons?
No.

CrazyBiker

Test ridden on Monday when the dealer opened at 10:00 am. Rode it for 30 miles or so - city, freeway and few off ramps. I never said that FZ8 is a pathetic bike. It is a great bike for its class - if such a class exists but not impressive when you ride a FZ1 every day. If maybe I hadn't ridden my FZ1 for a few days/months, I would have been more impressed with the FZ8.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I honestly just want to know what dealership allows 30 mile test rides on a new motorcycle. The few places I know well enough to let me throw a leg over one limit it to ten. I guess everyone has their rules.

CrazyBiker

This particular dealership is awesome in downtown Nashville. They prepped for me a 0 mile Ninja 1000 to ride too. Had test-ridden the FZ1 twice too which made my decision on one and I haven't given them a dollar of my business. They just love serious bikers I guess.

lothodon

Super Moderator
I'm going to ask again, start a new thread or take it to PM's. This thread is getting out of hand and NOT in a good way.

Chriso21

$6500 second hand on C.L. Only 300 miles on her. All stock.

This is my first road bike after riding/racing motocross for 15 years. Went to a local dealership and they took me out on an fz6 (underpowered), gladius(feminine), gsxr750 (uncomfortable) , r1(rocket), v strom (boring), and fz8.

I wasnt so interested in the fz1 because it will be my work commuter and judging from the r1, was crazy powerfull for the road (would love to try on track). Im 6 foot 2, 190lbs and the smaller 600cc bikes felt a little underpowered.

fz8 seemed to have just the right amount of ease of use/comfort/ mpg/ power/ insurance rate/ fun factor per $ for me.

Maybe its because I have allways done my aggressive competitive riding on a closed course but the idea of being on the roads with a finely tuned super sport bike seems like using a formula 1 car or monster truck - sure it can be done but why? I want to push the bike on some twistys in hill country so maybe then I'll see the limits of the fz8 but right now im very happy with the bike.

efendi

I payed 6.990,- € for my FZ8 without ABS. It was a special offer from a local dealer. Traded my old VFR 800 (1998) in, because a privat sale was not possible. Nobody was intrested in buying it.

I got a blue one with black rims. Another customer wanted a black one with golden rims, so they changed the boodywork. I am happy with this color combination and with the motorcycle in general.

Last edited:

dtbrown

I just picked my new 2012 today. Best price I could find in Chicago $8615 otd and paid $350 for the 4year extended warranty. Unfortunately taxes were $658. I've been looking for a couple weeks and most dealers wanted over $9400 otd for new due to assembly fee. Cheapest I found used was only $6900 before tax title/ plates. For not much more made sense to get a 2012. Probably not best price but best price in Chicago land I could find.