What did you pay for your Yamaha FZ8

protool

US 6800 before tax and title 7400 with tax and title.

I bought 2011 with 0 miles in April with full warranty.

the borg

Wow, you guys are really overpaying for the FZ8 in US when you can have leftover FZ1s for same price or cheaper.

You do realize that not every geographic location is the same in regards to pricing and leftover models. Just because you can buy a leftover FZ1 in TN for the same price as a FZ8 does not mean it applies everywhere. Just sayin'.

V

Vapordan

Peterborough Powersport - paul is a great guy to deal with, for me it was just 45minutes away. Where are you located??

I am in Brampton. That was a very sweet deal you got there. Very sweet indeed. I pick up the bike next week, still haven't broken the news yet to the wife, might need a place to stay when I tell her :)

V

Vapordan

Wow, you guys are really overpaying for the FZ8 in US when you can have leftover FZ1s for same price or cheaper.

I don't get the fz1 craze at all. I saw it in the showroom, didn't even bother sitting on it. Then again, 20 years ago a crotch rocket was all I wanted. I believe these are stages, eventually I will probably craze a cruiser, but not yet. Not yet.

CrazyBiker

I don't get the fz1 craze at all. I saw it in the showroom, didn't even bother sitting on it. Then again, 20 years ago a crotch rocket was all I wanted. I believe these are stages, eventually I will probably craze a cruiser, but not yet. Not yet.

Well, FZ1 is a better bike in every way ... and costs almost the same, insurance is the same, mpg slightly low, performance way above ... FZ8 is a sweet bike but the value is not there when dealing under the msrp...

the borg

Well, FZ1 is a better bike in every way ... and costs almost the same, insurance is the same, mpg slightly low, performance way above ... FZ8 is a sweet bike but the value is not there when dealing under the msrp...

So the main reason you are on this forum is to tell us all that we made a bad choice in bikes. You own a FZ1 we own FZ8s, so what. Are you here just to tell us your bike is better and we all made a big mistake by not buying a FZ1? That is what I get from reading your posts.

CrazyBiker

I am just letting people who may think that the FZ1 is pricier and didn't buy one for the same reason can be had for almost same price what they will pay for a FZ8.

Not trying to rag the bike. I like the bike. Imagine if you get R1 for the price of the R6, what would you buy?

the borg

I am just letting people who may think that the FZ1 is pricier and didn't buy one for the same reason can be had for almost same price what they will pay for a FZ8.

Not trying to rag the bike. I like the bike. Imagine if you get R1 for the price of the R6, what would you buy?

Ok, all is good. :tup:

V

Vapordan

Folks buy bikes for all sorts of different reasons - some are told what to buy; some follow the herd; some buy what they can afford; some buy to impress etc. Here's why I bought mine: it was right for me. I'll be riding and polishing it, not some 20 year old down the street or the editor of the most popular magazine. If you've got the means, buy whatever bike you want. I bought the one that I fell in love with on the showroom floor.

CrazyBiker

Folks buy bikes for all sorts of different reasons - some are told what to buy; some follow the herd; some buy what they can afford; some buy to impress etc. Here's why I bought mine: it was right for me. I'll be riding and polishing it, not some 20 year old down the street or the editor of the most popular magazine. If you've got the means, buy whatever bike you want. I bought the one that I fell in love with on the showroom floor.

True, I agree. My FZ1 is the bike I fell in love with. If FZ1 was not there, it would be the FZ8. I am sure if the naked FZ1 is offered here, all of you would have bought that instead.

Last edited:

glockman39

Since I bought last year's model, the dealer here in St. Pete Florida (Barney's) was trying to move it as quickly as possible. They reduced the price to $7200. I put $1000 down, plus the dealer knocked off another $500 for being a repeat customer (I've bought three bikes there). So I only financed $5700.00:bs2:

highoctane

Canyon Carver

Allthough I am very happy with my fz8 and it grows greater everyday with no regrets, as I mentioned in another post last summer when I was shopping for the fz8, the dealer I was at had a couple brand new fz1's that they would have sold me for same price. I think they were 2009/2010 models and If they would have had a black one I would have bought it.

C

Camo

I found the FZ1 overrated.

I am glad that you guys from the sister FZ1 site like to wander in here and chime in but ffs, give us all a rest on how good the FZ1 is and how lame you all seem to think the FZ8 is.
The Fz1 is on the bottom of a very big stack of 1000cc naked's. Albeit you guys in the states ride the semi faired version and that probably makes sense... but for me here in Australia with my taste for naked's, I'd have bought a Speed Triple or an Aprilia if I wanted a 1000.

With a few minor tweaks and in the right hands, the FZ8 can hold it's own amongst a larger capacity crowd through the tight stuff on any given day.
I think the only thing the FZ1 does better is go faster in a straight line and probably work a fraction better as a pack horse for big trips.

Truly though, each to their own. I'm just sick of all this FZ1 bravado...I can go on the FZ1 site for that.

CrazyBiker

I found the FZ1 overrated.

I am glad that you guys from the sister FZ1 site like to wander in here and chime in but ffs, give us all a rest on how good the FZ1 is and how lame you all seem to think the FZ8 is.
The Fz1 is on the bottom of a very big stack of 1000cc naked's. Albeit you guys in the states ride the semi faired version and that probably makes sense... but for me here in Australia with my taste for naked's, I'd have bought a Speed Triple or an Aprilia if I wanted a 1000.

With a few minor tweaks and in the right hands, the FZ8 can hold it's own amongst a larger capacity crowd through the tight stuff on any given day.
I think the only thing the FZ1 does better is go faster in a straight line and probably work a fraction better as a pack horse for big trips.

Truly though, each to their own. I'm just sick of all this FZ1 bravado...I can go on the FZ1 site for that.

You wouldn't have said that if you would have ridden a modded FZ1 or hell even a stock one. I am the last person to go by the mags but most recent comparos rate it on par with Ninja 1000 if not significantly better. That shows something about a 7 year old model. Check out Ivan's charts, a modded FZ1 still trumps a modded Z1000 while providing more practicality and utility. Speed Triple is a great machine but impractical and has POS stock suspension and its not a fair comparison. More ST owners have switched to the FZ1 and not vice versa. I know this as I spend significant time on both forums.

I am sure FZ8 is a great bike but its the offspring of the FZ1 and lacks behind its competition - the street triple. Ofcourse with good suspension and performance mods it may trump it.

I got a huge chuckle when you said FZ1 goes fast only in a straight line :D. FZ1 handles better than a stock FZ8 (with its POS stock suspension). That is obvious as FZ8 shares all its components from the FZ1. If that was not the case many FZ8 owners won't be wanting to switch their suspension with the FZ1/R1's.

Am sure FZ8 is a great bike for its segment and I won't hesitate to add one to my stable but it can never be the replacement to the venerable FZ1. FZ1 has established its legendary status over the last 12 years.

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
Let's all try to keep on topic if that's OK.

In case anyone has forgot this is a thread about what you paid for your FZ8, not an FZ1 vs. FZ8 thread. You're all welcome to make a new thread if you want to debate OPINIONS.

C

Camo

You wouldn't have said that if you would have ridden a modded FZ1 or hell even a stock one. I am the last person to go by the mags but most recent comparos rate it on par with Ninja 1000 if not significantly better. That shows something about a 7 year old model. Check out Ivan's charts, a modded FZ1 still trumps a modded Z1000 while providing more practicality and utility. Speed Triple is a great machine but impractical and has POS stock suspension and its not a fair comparison. More ST owners have switched to the FZ1 and not vice versa. I know this as I spend significant time on both forums.

I am sure FZ8 is a great bike but its the offspring of the FZ1 and lacks behind its competition - the street triple. Ofcourse with good suspension and performance mods it may trump it.

I got a huge chuckle when you said FZ1 goes fast only in a straight line :D. FZ1 handles better than a stock FZ8 (with its POS stock suspension). That is obvious as FZ8 shares all its components from the FZ1. If that was not the case many FZ8 owners won't be wanting to switch their suspension with the FZ1/R1's.

Am sure FZ8 is a great bike for its segment and I won't hesitate to add one to my stable but it can never be the replacement to the venerable FZ1. FZ1 has established its legendary status over the last 12 years.

You know it's funny but I get the distinct impression all you saw in my post was FZ1, overrated.
I'll break it down for you....
I basically said I was sick of the fact you guys feel the need to come over here and 'prove' how superior an FZ1 is but by all means keep telling us. We all joined the FZ8 forum to be told how good the FZ1 is :rolleyes:

Now I know this must be hard for you to comprehend but, most of us didn't bother to buy an FZ1 for whatever reason and we bought an FZ8 instead.
We're all here to talk about our FZ8's or at least FZ8's in general.
Well I know I'm not here to rubbish the bike and convince people they bought the wrong bike.

You say you're sure the FZ8 is a good bike..Spent much time on one?
I know my opinion is based on 5000-7000km's on one and my opinion of the FZ1 is formed over 2 one hour rides on an '09 model, stock apart from bar end mirrors and a yoshi slip on.
Yes my time in the saddle was limited but I rode it up and down my local twisty's, a place I'm familiar with and know quiet well. I thought it was going to blow my mind but it didn't.... I concede my opinion is just that, my opinion. It wasn't a bad bike but from all accounts should have been something special.

I'm not here to say that the FZ8 is something ultra special but I'm also not here to listen to the FZ1 owners talk it up about how superior their bikes are.