Went on the FWY for the first time!

jdubincali

I'm a noob rider and just got the FZ8 last 2 weeks ago. I got familiar with gear shifting and turning and thought: I'll take it on the 605 S FWY to work. And wow--it was both exhilarating and a little crazy! The wind gets intense above 60 mph! I tucked down and had a kung-fu grip on the bars. :eek:

Geez...what a ride! Does the OEM windshield help with this? How much does it help?

Do you guys think this bike is ideal for the FWY?

Kardiac996

My riding FWY speed is usually around 75- 85 and I feel fine with the stock setup. You could button up a windscreen to take some of the blow to the chest.

It could be that I am immovable because im 5-10 and weigh 210. I bought the bike specifically for mixed commuter riding and so far its hit every nail on the head.

TorontoAlex

You get used to it after a while. Fighting it makes it more tiring. Also loose clothing really makes it bad. When I dress for cold weather, high winds are less noticeable because of all the layers under my jacket.

chefwill

after about 90 mph i really feel the resistance from the wind on my fz8, its that up-right position. But lane-spitting through traffic with the mid range power from the fz8 is awesome.

cxa0897

it really isnt that bad until 85/90 + , at cruising speeds it is pretty tolerable.

I picked up the oem windscreen, and it doesn't do a whole lot. it may help a tad with redirecting wind, but it certainly wasn't night and day.

Bajaedition

actually the wind helps holds you up so there is not so much pressure on your wrist. however it is hitting you short
it should hit you around the shoulders, this is what sports riders learn when they put larger screens on, suddenly their wrist start to hurt from the weight of the body.
So a larger screen could help our bike, but a harley size screen would both look ridiculous and be counter productive. I like the look of the Givi unit

cambo

Avid Rider
I'm a noob rider and just got the FZ8 last 2 weeks ago. I got familiar with gear shifting and turning and thought: I'll take it on the 605 S FWY to work. And wow--it was both exhilarating and a little crazy! The wind gets intense above 60 mph! I tucked down and had a kung-fu grip on the bars. :eek:

Geez...what a ride! Does the OEM windshield help with this? How much does it help?

Do you guys think this bike is ideal for the FWY?

lmao...dude I totally get what you're talking about. I did the same EXACT thing: I just finished basic riders course, got my license, and thought OH YEAH BABY HIGHWAY TIME

Dear God, I was white knuckled the entire ride--thought the wind at 60 was going to rip me off the bike lol. I couldn't bring myself to move out of the slow lane lol....I remember after that ride I swore I'd never get on the hwy again lol...ask Rabbitman.

You get used to it...I'm still a noob myself and now I only notice the wind over 90...like the others have said.

Rotaryknight

first day I rode in 2 years or so was when I first bought the FZ8, out the dealership and right on the highway straight to work lol. It was pretty exilerating, I never rode a naked bike before, so the first time I felt that wind pushing me against my shoulders, I white knuckled all the way to work going 70mph. After a week or two I got used to the wind. First week, I told myself to buy a windscreen because If I am going over 100mph my body just cant take it, nowadays when I go over 100mph it feels awesome not white knuckling it anymore when you get used to it, you gain more confidence and your reaction time is sharper. I just use my legs to hold on tight which is what you are suppose to do, and tuck in.

I find that 100+ if I sit straight up while engine braking, I actually brake faster. Wind brake using your body ftw!!!