Well, now i feel stupid.

thach1130

So it was a nice day today so i decided to pull the bike in the backyard and do the airbox mod. This was around 7pm. So it was getting a little dark. I struggled in the poorly lit backyard to lift the tank, propped it up, remove the airbox cover, and unbolted all the screws. I got to the velocity stack and unbolted most of the bolt. Up until this point i didn't even considered looking under the filter. So i decided lets peek underneath to see what i will be cutting into later. I pulled it off put it aside and while i stare at the hole i thought to myself, wtf what am i suppose to be cutting away, there's nothing there? Where's the familiar tiny hole which we're suppose to remove. Then a closer look at the sidewall, I see dremel markings and i realizes, aw crap, the previous owner had already done the airbox mod and didn't list it in his list of mods. Son of a %$%#. So now i have to bolt everything back in darkness at 9pm. Should've pulled it into the lit basement. Grrr.

Now that i thought about it, while i was shopping for fz8 last year i checked out another fz8 which i didn't buy, I thought to myself at the time the bike sounded wheezy. I've always thought the current bike i have sounded better because of the Yoshimura. Now i know why it growl so much.

On another note. Can someone send me a pic of the stock filter? I'm not even sure the current filter is stock. For all i know it could be a reuseable K&N. I don't see any marking or branding. I should have taken a picture of mine. No point in throwing away a reuseable filter if times come to clean it/replace it.

Last edited:

DanS

Commuter
Oh well tearing your bike apart for no apparent reason sure beats the hell out of pushing around a lawn mower or chasing a vacuum cleaner or... hopefully you were able to put down a couple cold beers and enjoy the evening and you got it all back together without any parts leftover :D