Want to be owner looking for some advice

Hello everyone!

Owner for a 76 CB550F and getting tired of working on the bike instead of riding it. After looking around and trying different bikes, I think I'm going to go with the FZ8.

Right now, one of the dealers in my area (Toronto) is selling a brand new 2013 for $6999. With the rumours about how the FZ8 will be discontinued would it be worth waiting until the FZ-09 comes out in a couple months for a little more leverage/bargaining power?

Any input would be great! TIA!

Comparing FZ8 to FZ-09 is kind of apples and oranges. FZ8 is and inline four engine, while the 09 will be a triple. Engine wise, I can't vouch for a triple, but alot of people like it. I think the rotars are smaller on the 09 and the fact that the MSRP will be less makes me wonder what else is cheapened up. The other thing is my personal opinion is after I have gotten latest and greatest redesigned stuff up until this bike, it is nice to have a few years under a model for the manufacturer to work out it's kinks.

Marthy

I think the FZ8 as more potential and already has a good aftermarket base. It will take a couple of years until the aftermarket pick up... And to be honest, other than the fact that there's 3 cylinder and light weight... I don't think the FZ9 has much to offer than what the FZ8 is. Not digging the look either...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Guys, I'm pretty sure OP wasn't asking FZ8 vs FZ09, but rather how much cheaper he could get the bike for when FZ09 comes out. For what it's worth $7000 before tax is a fair to good price.

I believe the rumors are not so much rumors anymore. The US market IS discontinuing the FZ8, but to my latest understanding it is still being sold in Canada.

That being said, the range I've seen OTD for late model brand new is $7700-$9800 (or thereabouts). I personally paid USD$9300 OTD so I would have no problem snatching up one at $6999+fees.

They'll want to move leftover units for sure, but at the very least you'll get a few hundred off so it's just up to you to evaluate how long you want to wait for the savings.

By the way, the reasons I picked up an FZ8 was because it was less expensive than the naked sport bike competition, as well as very attractive at first glance. the 800cc seemed really appropriate since 600s take much longer to get into power, and 1000s are just a bit too much for me. great choice!

Rotaryknight

I always wanted a honda CB bike

The FZ-09 when it comes out should drive the price of the FZ8 down a little, but at $7000 for a 2013, damn that is cheap. They still go for $8000+ in my area last I checked. I dont think it is going to drop much when the FZ-09 is released.

Thanks for the input guys. micha3lchu is right, was wondering if the release of the FZ-09 would help drive down the price of existing stock.

For a few hundred off, it would probably be prudent for me to wait, but the down payment is burning a hole in my pocket.

@Rotaryknight, you should get one. Great bikes if you like to tinker. Here's an older pic of mine. Basically the same just more cosmetic changes.

Last edited:

[]V[]addog

one thing that has been mentioend in other threads, is the 09 seems to be MUCh smaller feeling. I got the fazer 800 because it was slightly larger than then 650 i had.

That price on a fz you found is great! i paid 8600 OTD and that is a steal around here.
New models always have issues too...

thach1130

I like the FZ-09. It comes down to preference and proportion. I like the FZ-09 looks and and it will fit my size better than the FZ8. I'm 140lb and 5'8" So my scrawny stature will fit better with the FZ-09. Few things i don't like on the FZ-09 is the headlight and the tail light. I wish the FZ-09 comes with the FZ8 headlight. FZ-09 tail light looks like an after thought. It sticks out of the tail. should be flush with the tail. Also i like the two plastic cover right underneath ther rider seat on the FZ8. The FZ-09 just leave a hole, no bueno. Not digging the blue wheel either. Full black bike for me.

thach1130

6999 is a great price. A quick look at Craigslist shows a lot of people are still asking $6400 for a used 2011 and some dude in NJ wanting 7100 for a 2011 with 5000 miles.

decooney

Most definitely! Don't think I'd ever let her go. Was planning on using the FZ8 as my everyday bike and the CB550 for weekend rides.

Getting back into road bikes again I thought it would be cool to start off again with a nice vintage 1975 Yamaha XS650. It looked great, ran great, handled okay. After riding it around for a while I was quick to realize the old vintage classic was something nice to look at. Bought the FZ8, sold the XS650 to a collector in Australia - and I've never looked back. 7k is a loss price for an FZ8 at a legitimate dealer, so make sure they are not tacking on destination, freight, and setup costs to bring the price back up. In either case, at that price, you better grab it before it's gone. FZ8 and FZ09s are completely different motorcycles, at different price points, with likely different type buyers, so hoping one will drive the price down is an unknown at this point. Good Luck.

Rotaryknight

Thanks for the input guys. micha3lchu is right, was wondering if the release of the FZ-09 would help drive down the price of existing stock.

For a few hundred off, it would probably be prudent for me to wait, but the down payment is burning a hole in my pocket.

@Rotaryknight, you should get one. Great bikes if you like to tinker. Here's an older pic of mine. Basically the same just more cosmetic changes.

Beautiful bike. I was going to get a Honda cb to cruise around in the city. While using the fz8 to travel long distance such as to work or cruising highways.

gufazi

If price is your biggest factor, it might pay to wait. Several places still have 2012s in their showrooms, so I can imagine deeper discounts once the FZ-09 is a reality. The downside is you might have to do a bit more hunting to find one.
Have you considered used?

Thanks for all the input guys!

Grabbed one from the dealer over the weekend. Came up to $7900 after freight, PDI, etc and before taxes.

Picking it up sometime this week, tail tidy and integrated tail light are the first mods on the list. PCV and new exhaust (probably the Yosh R-77D) when I get the funds. Any suggestions on other worthwhile mods?

[]V[]addog

Thanks for all the input guys!

Grabbed one from the dealer over the weekend. Came up to $7900 after freight, PDI, etc and before taxes.

Picking it up sometime this week, tail tidy and integrated tail light are the first mods on the list. PCV and new exhaust (probably the Yosh R-77D) when I get the funds. Any suggestions on other worthwhile mods?

stilla great deal and probably close to some dealers cost.

Rotaryknight

extended mirrors are worthwhile. With the stock ones, I have to tilt my shoulders to look behind me. If you are going to get a PCV, you can do the intake box mod.