Vortex Rearsets

W

WARPTH

I'm saying on the street. I don't see the need for the rear brake switch when I ride around town because 1: I don't use it, and 2: I always use the front brake which activates the brake like, so I don't see the point in having a rear brake switch.

Sorry. I read it as you never use the rear brake. Not as you had no need for the switch. My bad

W

WARPTH

Doesn't trail braking only involve the front brake? The only thing I can think of to use the rear brake at the track would be breaking traction on the rear tire and drifting through a turn (no thanks, by the way). I tend to follow the whole "brake before the turn, throttle through it" myself.

Just a little touch of the rear brake while still on the throttle can pull you in tighter in a corner if you need it.

master paper clip

Practice lol. I put 1000 miles on my bike the first week I had it.

Man I had that on the second day owning this thing.... by that logic I should be a track monster ;)

Hopefully get to hit the track next season, cause jersey is all flat, about the only way I'll get some nice turns is a track or go out of state... no matter what direction I go its at leat 3hrs ride before I get away from the flat land and citys, jersey sucks to own a bike in

Lee_533

Man I had that on the second day owning this thing.... by that logic I should be a track monster ;)

Hopefully get to hit the track next season, cause jersey is all flat, about the only way I'll get some nice turns is a track or go out of state... no matter what direction I go its at leat 3hrs ride before I get away from the flat land and citys, jersey sucks to own a bike in

Ya I guess where you live makes a difference. I'm about 3 hrs from Laguna Seca, hoping to hit it next year. But I live around a lot of mountains so there are tons of roads to practice on.

master paper clip

Ya I guess where you live makes a difference. I'm about 3 hrs from Laguna Seca, hoping to hit it next year. But I live around a lot of mountains so there are tons of roads to practice on.

Oh you dirty bastard living so close to such a legendary track, how's the corkscrew on the 8?

Lee_533

Oh you dirty bastard living so close to such a legendary track, how's the corkscrew on the 8?

I haven't been able to hit Laguna yet. My buddy and I are aiming for next season. But I did ride Thunderhill a few times (only about 45 minutes from my house). They kind of mimicked Laguna Seca, there is a section of the track that is a blind up hill hard left coming in to the turn then switches to a off camber right at the peak of the hill. There are a lot of guys that go down there because it looks like the track keeps going left, so the riders just end up going straight to the dirt. When I was competing with my friend, I came in to the off camber corner so hard that the ground slammed my knee against the tank. My foot was off the peg because the peg was folded up, and my knee was smashed between the tank and the ground lol. I was laughing so hard after that corner that I blew the next one. But I'm very happy with how the bike handles. I changed out the rear shock to the cheap Ohlins because I kept drifting corners at Reno Fernley. But just changing the rear shock, rearsets, and good tires the bike can run A pace. I'm changing my forks soon but that's more of a safety measure lol. The stock forks are soft but aren't that bad.

Guillaume

I haven't been able to hit Laguna yet. My buddy and I are aiming for next season. But I did ride Thunderhill a few times (only about 45 minutes from my house). They kind of mimicked Laguna Seca, there is a section of the track that is a blind up hill hard left coming in to the turn then switches to a off camber right at the peak of the hill. There are a lot of guys that go down there because it looks like the track keeps going left, so the riders just end up going straight to the dirt. When I was competing with my friend, I came in to the off camber corner so hard that the ground slammed my knee against the tank. My foot was off the peg because the peg was folded up, and my knee was smashed between the tank and the ground lol. I was laughing so hard after that corner that I blew the next one. But I'm very happy with how the bike handles. I changed out the rear shock to the cheap Ohlins because I kept drifting corners at Reno Fernley. But just changing the rear shock, rearsets, and good tires the bike can run A pace. I'm changing my forks soon but that's more of a safety measure lol. The stock forks are soft but aren't that bad.

... looking for track/commuter translator ...
I really need to go ride in a safe environment such as a track to learn how to corner and brake properly...

C

Camo

I hit the track for the first time Tuesday just been and the bike handles great with the up spec suspension. The only thing really holding it back from an outstanding performance was me and my fear of binning it lol.

I've booked in to the first three levels of CSS to be done 3 days in a row next march. The guys that run it at Sydney Motorsport Park (eastern creek) were great to talk to and help me dial in my suspension, talked me through some steering drills and gave me great advice about lines to take etc.
I don't plan on spending another cent on my 8 other than tires and stuff but will be throwing any spare change at rider education and track days.
The learning curve at the track is huge and I can't recommend it highly enough to all, no matter where you think your skill level is. Everyone can take something away from a day at the track.

I'm looking to buy a cheap track bike next year, the fear of throwing the bike down the road is always in the back of my mind. I think I could go harder if I was on something cheap and nasty :)

H

Hoover

I hit the track for the first time Tuesday just been and the bike handles great with the up spec suspension. The only thing really holding it back from an outstanding performance was me and my fear of binning it lol.

I've booked in to the first three levels of CSS to be done 3 days in a row next march. The guys that run it at Sydney Motorsport Park (eastern creek) were great to talk to and help me dial in my suspension, talked me through some steering drills and gave me great advice about lines to take etc.
I don't plan on spending another cent on my 8 other than tires and stuff but will be throwing any spare change at rider education and track days.
The learning curve at the track is huge and I can't recommend it highly enough to all, no matter where you think your skill level is. Everyone can take something away from a day at the track.

I'm looking to buy a cheap track bike next year, the fear of throwing the bike down the road is always in the back of my mind. I think I could go harder if I was on something cheap and nasty :)

Cheap and nasty suits you mate. :poke:

Lee_533

I think that when I get my track bike I'm going to put standard handlebars on it. I love how easy it is to throw this bike around. My buddy is raising his bike so he gets faster turn it. He rode mine and couldn't believe how responsive and peppy it was. I rode his and couldn't believe how gutless it was under powerband lol.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist

I did the CSS levels 1&2 last year on my Bonneville believe it or not. Best bike money I have ever spent. Would like to do it again on the FZ and have a safe place to push her farther than I feel comfortable doing on the street.

Jwood9

I just ordered a set, any tips on installing and is it easy to set up the regular shift pattern? I already ordered part rs100 which is the brake light switch do i need anything else?

Jwood9

I read that you need to get a different shift rod for regular shifting? Is this true, or how do you go about non-gp shifting?