Videos

Lee_533

Here are a couple videos of my track days. I just thought I would post them up to show the difference after changing out the rear shock. The first one is completely stock and I was running 2:20 to 2:25 lap times. The second one was with the Ohlins rear shock and my fastest lap was 2:09. Not sure if you are able to tell the difference. I'll upload one with where my rear shock sagged and my back tire broke loose later.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57KdTr1ho54&feature=plcp]Thunderhill - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q4nXM4OlHA&feature=plcp]Precision Thunderhill - YouTube[/ame]

Lee_533

Thanks...the guy on the red GsxR is my buddy who convinced me to buy a new bike and got me in to tracking. Now I leave him on the track lol. He said is was hoping I went down so he could catch it on film, great friend right? It's ok, I watched him go down in the snow and I laughed at him...I'll post a link to his video. Don't judge my skills though because this was 2 days after I bought my bike so I sucked at riding.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju5DlFx6PFo&feature=plcp]Snow Day with my gsxr - YouTube[/ame]

Lee_533

dare i ask.... why ride in the snow?

Lol...well it wasn't really the plan. Like I said, I had just gotten the bike and he was excited, so he wanted to go for a ride. That road is actually really nice during the summer and we had kind of a messed up winter. He said that he had been on that road in January and that it was clear, so we headed there. We started seeing a little bit of snow but that was at the peak so we figured it was clear to go down the other side of the mountain...and we were wrong lol. I was actually really fun though. I admit it's really stupid unless you have snow tires on but I am thinking of doing it again just for the hell of it. He usually rides to the snow every year with his girlfriend.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Seriously awesome videos man. Makes me want to schedule some track time. Though I have to admit it is a bit more intimidating now that I have a bike with enough power to make correct throttle control critical. It's easy to go fast on the Bonnie, it's a very forgiving bike.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Thanks...the guy on the red GsxR is my buddy who convinced me to buy a new bike and got me in to tracking. Now I leave him on the track lol. He said is was hoping I went down so he could catch it on film, great friend right? It's ok, I watched him go down in the snow and I laughed at him...I'll post a link to his video. Don't judge my skills though because this was 2 days after I bought my bike so I sucked at riding.

Snow Day with my gsxr - YouTube

Dig all the video's but this snow one is funny!

Lee_533

any damage to the gixxer when it went down?

Funny story, just before we went on the ride we was telling me to get frame sliders like he was going to do. Well, the only mark on the bike was right where the frame slider would go. If he would have had his installed the bike wouldn't have a scratch. So while installing the sliders, I made a sticker to cover the scratch next to the slider and made it look like a factory decal. But other than that, the bike was perfect.

Lee_533

jeez mate- you lean the bike pretty low- i reckon i would shit myself! lol

I thought the same thing, but you start getting use to it after a while. Like my buddy always told me, you have to have faith in the bike. They way I see it, if I go down on the track, it's wide open so I won't hit anything, and if I low side I will push as far from the bike as possible and try to relax. Of course that's a perfect wreck lol.

Guillaume

I thought the same thing, but you start getting use to it after a while. Like my buddy always told me, you have to have faith in the bike. They way I see it, if I go down on the track, it's wide open so I won't hit anything, and if I low side I will push as far from the bike as possible and try to relax. Of course that's a perfect wreck lol.

It's interesting that there is such a thing as a "perfect wreck"...
When your rear broke loose, didn't you almost highside? (noob question maybe?)

Lee_533

It's interesting that there is such a thing as a "perfect wreck"...
When your rear broke loose, didn't you almost highside? (noob question maybe?)

Yes, but it really wasn't that bad. The video makes it look worse than it felt. The majority of wrecks on a track are typically lowsides. Though when high sides happen, they are really bad. If I would have high sided I think I would have been fine cause it wasn't at a crazy speed.

C

Camo

When you lowside, pushing the bike isn't really an option. When you lowside, one minute you're in the turn and the next minute you're sliding on your side while the bike does exactly what the bike chooses to do.
In my experience anyway.
Cool vids mate, we're not allowed timing or recording devices on trackdays.

Lee_533

When you lowside, pushing the bike isn't really an option. When you lowside, one minute you're in the turn and the next minute you're sliding on your side while the bike does exactly what the bike chooses to do.
In my experience anyway.
Cool vids mate, we're not allowed timing or recording devices on trackdays.

Really? You can't film or time at your track days? That sucks. Is there a reason you they don't allow it?

C

Camo

I think it's to help curb the hero factor...they figure if you're not racing a clock or trying to get that awesome lap on film you'll be less likely to ride outside of your skill level?

You just get a mate to time you from the pits but as far as a general trackday, no on bike filming :(
If you get caught with a timing or filming device trying to leave pit lane, you stand a good chance of being banned for ever. (Sydney Motorsport Park and Phillip Island)

master paper clip

I think it's to help curb the hero factor...they figure if you're not racing a clock or trying to get that awesome lap on film you'll be less likely to ride outside of your skill level?

You just get a mate to time you from the pits but as far as a general trackday, no on bike filming :(
If you get caught with a timing or filming device trying to leave pit lane, you stand a good chance of being banned for ever. (Sydney Motorsport Park and Phillip Island)

Damn thats a great idea when u think about it, but sucks the responsible people get punished because of the glory hounds

Lee_533

I guess that does make sense but at the same time, then you can't see your body position on film. Here they tell you to ride within your means, and if you wreck that's your problem lol. Of course they don't want you to wreck but it's also not their bike and they already got paid. The organization I ride with is really laid back and I got to know the owner so I get away with breaking a lot of rules. He said just don't take anyone out and he doesn't care. Last time I was riding with them, I was riding one handed knee down and trying to grab my buddy's GoPro off the back of his bike lol.