Vance & Hines CS One DB Killer (A.K.A. Sound Insert)

xXAvroArrowXx

Thought I'd post this because I haven't seen anywhere anyone with the CS One talking about taking out the DB Killer in their pipe. The packing list for the pipe calls out a "Sound Insert" and notes that its pre-installed. Well I looked and low and behold there's a socket-cap screw holding a DB Killer in place. I've attached photos showing it the pipe with it installed, removed and the insert itself. (I'm working on editing a video featuring Stock, Straight, with DB Killer & without to upload to YouTube, I'll provide the link when it's done)

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

Last edited:

greenturbo

Thought I'd post this because I haven't seen anywhere anyone with the CS One talking about taking out the DB Killer in their pipe. The packing list for the pipe calls out a "Sound Insert" and notes that its pre-installed. Well I looked and low and behold there's a socket-cap screw holding a DB Killer in place. I've attached photos showing it the pipe with it installed, removed and the insert itself. (I'm working on editing a video featuring Stock, Straight, with DB Killer & without to upload to YouTube, I'll provide the link when it's done)

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

cool, that is the pipe I'm going to get,
good to know

xXAvroArrowXx

Also note that there's a steel spacer with the kit. The inner diameter was too small for the supplied screw. I had to ream it up from a tad over 1/4" to 9/32".

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

FZ8canuk

Thought I'd post this because I haven't seen anywhere anyone with the CS One talking about taking out the DB Killer in their pipe. The packing list for the pipe calls out a "Sound Insert" and notes that its pre-installed. Well I looked and low and behold there's a socket-cap screw holding a DB Killer in place. I've attached photos showing it the pipe with it installed, removed and the insert itself. (I'm working on editing a video featuring Stock, Straight, with DB Killer & without to upload to YouTube, I'll provide the link when it's done

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

I have the same slip on I knew they made a DB killer for it but had no idea it was pre installed guess I should have read the packing list how loud is it without it? Also what is this spacer your talking about

xXAvroArrowXx

I have the same slip on I knew they made a DB killer for it but had no idea it was pre installed guess I should have read the packing list how loud is it without it? Also what is this spacer your talking about

I'm not certain how much louder but its deeper in tone. The spacer is the thick washer looking item that sits between the hanger strap & foot peg mounting location.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

FZ8canuk

I'm not certain how much louder but its deeper in tone. The spacer is the thick washer looking item that sits between the hanger strap & foot peg mounting location.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

I don't remember having an issue with the spacer odd for sure. I think I might try removing the DB tonight is it an Allen key set up and do you think I could remove it without removing the slip on.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I see what you are talking about now. I am going to remove mine tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference. Is there just one screw that holds it on or is there 2?

decooney

I see what you are talking about now. I am going to remove mine tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference. Is there just one screw that holds it on or is there 2?

hutru01,
So your prior video was with the DB killer installed then, eh? Good to know . If you decide to reshoot your video, maybe film it before and after with the DB killer in and out. Looking forward to it if you reshoot the video. Thanks.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
hutru01,
So your prior video was with the DB killer installed then, eh? Good to know . If you decide to reshoot your video, maybe film it before and after with the DB killer in and out. Looking forward to it if you reshoot the video. Thanks.

I tried to reshoot a couple of videos but this phone video recorder sucks. I can tell a slight difference with the DB killer out, more so on the upper RPM band. I haven't ridden with it out yet, but I would imagine WOT will be louder.

decooney

I tried to reshoot a couple of videos but this phone video recorder sucks. I can tell a slight difference with the DB killer out, more so on the upper RPM band. I haven't ridden with it out yet, but I would imagine WOT will be louder.

Thanks hutru01.

I heard a few other CSONE videos but cannot tell if the DB killer is installed or not, so it will be helpful to compare before/after on yours. If you are recording on a phone, that partly explains why I cannot hear the low frequency tone of the V&H CSONE on youtube. In my past experience, the V&H mufflers have been some of the deepest (low frequency tone) sounding I've ever heard, but this was on completely different type bikes. Hoping for the same on the FZ8 if I go with V&H. I'm down to the Graves and V&H now as my top1/2. Thanks!

xXAvroArrowXx

I'm on a bike trip right now. Ran 1/2 day with 1/2 without tip. Upper rpms much more crackle.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

xXAvroArrowXx

Ok. So the 1/2 day rode without the tip, the inner sleeve of the pipe moved on the pipe, partially blocking the thru hole. I couldn't get the screw back in to reinstall the tip. I had to jam an awl in there and work the hole back in line to get the tip in. Not cool.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

decooney

Ok. So the 1/2 day rode without the tip, the inner sleeve of the pipe moved on the pipe, partially blocking the thru hole. I couldn't get the screw back in to reinstall the tip. I had to jam an awl in there and work the hole back in line to get the tip in. Not cool. )

Avro,
Was it obnoxiously louder with the DB quieter tip out? Perform about the same?

If I try the V&H, I'll likely just leave it stock with tip in, looking for a little more noise and deep growl over stock, but not looking for something too loud. Feedback appreciated now that you've tried it both ways. Thanks.

xXAvroArrowXx

There was a def difference. But not an immense one. I like it. Deep and louder than stock. I like the crackle when after I blip the throttle. Not going to do the AIS mod.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8

xXAvroArrowXx

I've heard a two bros, and obviously stock. I'd day it's a nice happy medium.

Avro
2011 Yamaha FZ8