Upper headlight bulb

fz8guy87

I recently purchased a brand new 2012 FZ8 and had noticed there is a spot at the top of the headlight assembly behind the Yamaha emblem for a second light. I am wondering if anyone has the bulb number or if there is suppose to be a bulb in there from factory? I've seen a few pictures of bikes with a L.E.D bulb in there and I have seen pics with just a regular bulb installed there. Any information would be great. thanks

MotoZen

Welcome! I had someone do a custom retrofit to my headlight and they put in a LED bulb for me. I'm not sure where to buy them separately, though.
Also, if you want to be found by local riders, let me know where you are and I'll add you to the member map.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

thach1130

Find twist lock led socket on ebay for the led bulb holder. You can drill and cut the plastic behind that hole to work with the twist lock tab. Any festoon style led can be used such as 194, T10 or 168.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I recently purchased a brand new 2012 FZ8 and had noticed there is a spot at the top of the headlight assembly behind the Yamaha emblem for a second light. I am wondering if anyone has the bulb number or if there is suppose to be a bulb in there from factory? I've seen a few pictures of bikes with a L.E.D bulb in there and I have seen pics with just a regular bulb installed there. Any information would be great. thanks

http://www.779cc.org/forum/bikes-pa...arking-light-mod.html?highlight=Parking+light

I think this is what your looking for.

And :welcome: to the forum

Fuzzb8

I just went to the local parts store and bought a light socket that holds a 194 bulb, it's for gm or something. Cut out the hole and stuck that sucker in there and tapped to the running light circuit.

JAWS2

I was thinking of installing an LED light there as well, but linking it to a strobe button on my handle bar. When approching a car on my right pulling out from a side street, I want to be able to push a button that would cause this light to strobe. I think this would be a great way to make sure other cars see me. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Is it even legal to put a strobe on the bike as long as its not blue or red?

JAWS2

Mikz86ta

Not really legal. But as long as its not on all the time, probably alright. just like flashing your headlamps.
I added a LED up there as well.

JAWS2

How hard of a job is it? Never done electrical work on a bike or car before. I figure it can't be too hard if I do my research first. Also, I think I have a friend that may be able to help. Can you give me any pointers, warnings of what not to do, etc... :).
Any good resources on line?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mikz86ta

Well, remove the headlamp housing from bike. Not hard just removing the trim and one pain screw on backside to get out. Unplug the wire harness.
Now you have the wires for the park/turn signals to access. They will go to the front park/turns, so they are easy to identify. Black is ground, blue (if I recall) is park and gray and green are left and right signal. Just look at the wires going into each signal lamp, and easy to identify the 2 colors that are the same both sides.
Well, there's your wires to tap for the upper light. Gives u power while key on and your ground.

Mikz86ta

As far as adding the light....well....you could hardware and drill in some semi permanent LED's. But I did mine a bit more finished looking.
Behind that light spot, you will see the plastic is embossed and a perfect raised circle ring. That's your spot. The center of that had a raised nipple as well. I used a dream to shave down the nipple. Then I took a drill bit to drill my hole. Kept the lamp upside down while drilling to keep the plastic shavings from dropping inside the housing.
Now.....what size to drill......

Mikz86ta

I went and found a 194 socket and wire pigtail at Auto Zone. Drilled out the hole and cut out the 'ears' slot. Since the socket was a 1/4 twist in style. The socket is made to also be kinda waterproof.

Hope this helps