Updates: FZ8 and FZ09 at MotoGP Monterey

decooney

I attended MotoGP this past weekend in Monterey at Laguna Seca. Yamaha had a nice display including current year FZ8 and the 2014 FZ09.

FZ8 future:
both factory reps I spoke to stated its confirmed for now the FZ8 will not be coming to the USA in 2014, but they will continue in Canada and other places around the world. Yamaha is reportedly going to monitor inquiries and sales of the FZ8, and might possibly bring the FZ8 back to the USA only if there is enough call for it. Right now, they seemed focused on seeing how the FZ09 does in 2014.

FZ09:
I sat on it. Right off the bat you notice its smaller all the way around. The seat is lower and you just feel like you are on a scaled down bike. I'm 5'10 200lb and my buddy is 6'2" and 230lbs. For both of us the bike just seemed too small. After riding an FZ8, the FZ09 feels like a smaller city bike. Neat bike, nice looking, but no FZ8. I noticed there were quite a few ladies sitting on and checking out the FZ09.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Good report! After I found out that the MT line was actually separate from the FZ line it all made sense thats why they were so dramatically different. No way the 09 is the predecessor.

That being said, I parked next to a new 2012 GSXR 600 and those things are BIG!! made the fz8 feel very small in comparison so I can only imagine how much smaller the FZ-09 looks/feels.

I attended MotoGP this past weekend in Monterey at Laguna Seca. Yamaha had a nice display including current year FZ8 and the 2014 FZ09.

FZ8 future:
both factory reps I spoke to stated its confirmed for now the FZ8 will not be coming to the USA in 2014, but they will continue in Canada and other places around the world. Yamaha is reportedly going to monitor inquiries and sales of the FZ8, and might possibly bring the FZ8 back to the USA only if there is enough call for it. Right now, they seemed focused on seeing how the FZ09 does in 2014.

FZ09:
I sat on it. Right off the bat you notice its smaller all the way around. The seat is lower and you just feel like you are on a scaled down bike. I'm 5'10 200lb and my buddy is 6'2" and 230lbs. For both of us the bike just seemed too small. After riding an FZ8, the FZ09 feels like a smaller city bike. Neat bike, nice looking, but no FZ8. I noticed there were quite a few ladies sitting on and checking out the FZ09.

decooney

Good report! After I found out that the MT line was actually separate from the FZ line it all made sense thats why they were so dramatically different. No way the 09 is the predecessor.

That being said, I parked next to a new 2012 GSXR 600 and those things are BIG!! made the fz8 feel very small in comparison so I can only imagine how much smaller the FZ-09 looks/feels.

The bike might have been sprung softer too, which made it squat some, which in turn made it feel even smaller sitting lower to the ground - I'm not sure. I liked the new beefer and wider bars on the FZ 09. The seat and riding position was nice. Some nice features on the bike, but just too small for me. It will be a very popular motorcycle for those looking for something smaller, more flickable, ripping around locally or in the city, for sure. Would be great for that, or I'd guess riders in the 125 to 185lb weight range that don't ride too far like we did this weekend. For example, we rode a total of 800 miles up/down California Coastal Highway1 back and forth to MotoGP this past three days. To me, the trip was sort of the limit for our FZ8s on the longer stretches, making me wish I was on an FZ1 or FJ1300 part of the time instead. The FZ8 is definitely geared to the twisty road type of riding. The upper part of CA-1 north of the Golden Gate coming from Bodega Bay to San Francisco was absolutely amazing on the FZ8. I cannot imagine ever attempting the same trip on the new FZ09 when adding in the longer dual lane stretches of highway1. Not even close. I'm certain the FZ09 will fill a specific niche market of buyers and type of local riders and hooligan type riding style. Would be a fun bike for just ripping round town. I need to try the same trip over again on an FZ1. One thing is for sure, I'm glad I'm back to riding Yamahas again.

mckshred

Went to the race this weekend as well and sat on the FZ-09, it did feel smaller and it has a more upright riding position than our FZ-8's. It has mounting holes for future aftermarket windscreens, with a smaller digital dash readout that sits forward of the handlebars (similar to the speed triple) . The handlebars feel tall but with more width (which is a positive). It has one seat that extends to both riders (classic 80's style).

decooney

Went to the race this weekend as well and sat on the FZ-09, it did feel smaller and it has a more upright riding position than our FZ-8's...

mckshred,
Looking back at some of my photos of my friend and I taking turns sitting on the bike, it seems like the distance between the seat position to the handlebars is shorter on the FZ09 than FZ8. The result is a more upright seating position. I can also see in your photo it appears as if the rearset/footpegs are pulled back a bit more, but I'm not certain. At first I was somewhat intrigued by the bike until I sat on it. Can't imagine riding this smaller bike on CA-1 along the ocean with ocean crosswinds blowing me sideways. I want to compare the wheelbase measurement the next time I see one. I'm studying this wondering if it will be the platform of a new Yamaha 850cc Adventure bike, which I'm very interested in if they produce it - just wish it was a tad larger.

Did the bars and dash sitting on the FZ09 feel closer to you as well?

decooney

Marthy,
Using the tool you pointed out sure helps to show the differences using my ergos on both bikes comparatively side by side. I definitely prefer the slightly more aggressive riding position of the FZ8 leaning over the tank just a tad versus a totally vertical riding position on the FZ09. Totally different ergos, and what appears to be an even shorter wheelbase on the FZ09 when flipping repeatedly back and forth between both images. I can see how the FZ09 and FZ8 would appeal to different sized riders and preferred riding styles. Once this all flushes out over the next year and the public gets a chance to see both bikes in person, I wonder if this sizing and rider fitment factor alone might make a case for Yamaha to decide to bring back or continue the FZ8 in the USA. As others have stated, I agree, these truly are two completely different motorcycles.

villhelmromero

maybe it's supposed to be geared towards people who are going from riding street legal dirt bikes that want to enter the sport bike world. it seems like it's "sporterized" dirt bike with a big ass engine.

Last edited:

Marthy

Once Yamaha understand that cheapening out a bike is not a good marketing strategy, they will sell more bike! The FZ8 is a awesome mid size bike. But Yamaha detune the bike so much and load it up with budget suspension... I won't talk about exhaust!

All I got to say is shame on Yamaha! I'm quite involve in tuning DJ's FZ8. We now have find the sweet spot to degree the R1 cams and the map is on its final stage. It wouldn't cost more money to jam R1 cams then FZ8. Combine that with a PCV and exhaust then you have 112HP at the wheel! Much better than 90. Make it about 108 WHP with a stock exhaust and no PCV.

Put a decent set of suspension, shed some weight and you have something to compete with St3 and all the other great middle weight.

On paper the FZ9 is a sweet bike, so the FZ8. Wait until the test drive and official review start popping all over the place. FZ9 still going to be a decent bike for the value but with about another $2K it could be a great ride...

decooney

maybe it's supposed to be geared towards people who are going from riding street legal dirt bikes that want to enter the sport bike world. it seems like it's "sporterized" dirt bike with a big ass engine.

Yes, it would be a great transition bike from a dual sport for sure. However, one step further I'm very interested to see IF Yamaha creates an ADVENTURE road/off-road dual sport version of the FZ09 to compete with the Triumph Tiger adventure bike. With the right suspension and proper handlebar-to-footpeg ergonomics, I'd seriously consider it if Yamaha made it. The street FZ09 version does not interest me personally for my use, but an Adventure version of the FZ09 would for sure.

mckshred

Motorcycle Ergonomics

You can use this website to compare both FZ8 and FZ9.
That site rocks! It has a wide variety of bikes stored as well... :)

mckshred,
Looking back at some of my photos of my friend and I taking turns sitting on the bike, it seems like the distance between the seat position to the handlebars is shorter on the FZ09 than FZ8.
Did the bars and dash sitting on the FZ09 feel closer to you as well?

Decooney - Yes I totally agree it felt shorter, and it felt almost toy-ish when I sat on it. I'm sure it's not, based on what I've been hearing, but I really didn't like it. I can see it being a perfect 'chick bike' for an experienced female rider., especially with the low saddle and smaller physique.

Link to a review: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/new-2014-yamaha-fz09-yz450f-yz250f-91646.html

Last edited:

decooney

... I can see it being a perfect 'chick bike' for an experienced female rider., especially with the low saddle and smaller physique.

At MotoGP Monterey this weekend to give another reference, this gal was sitting on the FZ09, just stepping off of it it. I'd estimate she is about 5'6" tall. She commented about the smaller size of the bike. Even the bike looks small for her, just to give an idea. Might be a cool little stunt bike and I could see this bike getting recommended to many new riders. Three women in a row came right up and sat on the FZ09 at MotoGP.

decooney

Oh yes, there are definitely more pictures less to do with the FZ09, especially once we got past the Yamaha area to the Aprilia tent. ;)

villhelmromero

as soon as my local dealer has one in stock I'm going to test ride it. the owner's pretty cool amd will lwt me test any bike on the floor. still wanna saddle up on the VMAX but that thing is intimidating lol.