Top Box Woes

Skiman

The cutting of the tail section is why I didn't install the Yamaha aftermarket grab rails for the pillion. Didn't trust myself to be steady with the cutting, so back to Yamaha they went!

Darren

I love the rear rack with the passenger integrated grab rail. Anyone able to find it in the US? I've only found them online in the UK and Canada. I want to get the 46L top case and the rear rack with passenger rail integrated. Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Larry P

Darren - I'm in the US as well and tried getting a dealer to find it somehow but none were able. Ended up ordering from https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com for the rear rack (39PF48D00000) and boats.net for the top box but I checked and they don't seem to sell it anymore (boats.net). There's a few vendors that have it cheaper here in the states. Here's the top box part# 46L-W0754-00-00. I did a good deal of homework looking for the best deal and those were the places I found. Had it for over 2 years now and still happy with the purchase.

Darren

Darren - I'm in the US as well and tried getting a dealer to find it somehow but none were able. Ended up ordering from https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com for the rear rack (39PF48D00000) and boats.net for the top box but I checked and they don't seem to sell it anymore (boats.net). There's a few vendors that have it cheaper here in the states. Here's the top box part# 46L-W0754-00-00. I did a good deal of homework looking for the best deal and those were the places I found. Had it for over 2 years now and still happy with the purchase.

Thanks, Larry! :rockon:

I too, went to the local dealer and was told they cant order it either. :hbwall:

Do you know if the rack and top case requires a plate? Also, how does the dollar conversion work (converts automatically?) when you go to check out online since it's coming from Canada? Thank you very for your reply, Larry!

Fazer 8

Thanks, Larry! :rockon:

I too, went to the local dealer and was told they cant order it either. :hbwall:

Do you know if the rack and top case requires a plate? Also, how does the dollar conversion work (converts automatically?) when you go to check out online since it's coming from Canada? Thank you very for your reply, Larry!

I bought the Yamaha branded top case to go with my Yamaha rack. It appears to be some sort of Shad knock-off, and I'm thinking I should have gone for the real Shad because this one has a rattle in it. anyway, it fit the Shad-style front part of mount (that the "ears" on the bag slide under/in to), and came with a typical "pyramid" latch strike that bolted directly to the rack. I think some of the Shad bags would fit in a similar way, others would require an adapter. Check out Yamaha Canada's online parts store and you can see which Shad bags they list as being compatible with this rack.

Larry P

No plate required for the yamaha setup. The website automatically converts for you via paypal. Fazer_8 is correct about a slight rattle with the yamaha case however its just the latching system. It was annoying at first but it doesn't bother me anymore. The fit and finish on the box has held up just fine over 2 years so I will vouch for the quality of it. I keep it stored indoors when not in use though since it stands out a bit on the bike. You do have to put the emblems on yourself but I rather enjoyed that part to be honest. Maybe the yamaha rack and a shad case? Maybe do some homework and see if they're compatible. Shad makes a good product but the top case was only $120 or so at the time so I jumped on it.

Darren

I bought the Yamaha branded top case to go with my Yamaha rack. It appears to be some sort of Shad knock-off, and I'm thinking I should have gone for the real Shad because this one has a rattle in it. anyway, it fit the Shad-style front part of mount (that the "ears" on the bag slide under/in to), and came with a typical "pyramid" latch strike that bolted directly to the rack. I think some of the Shad bags would fit in a similar way, others would require an adapter. Check out Yamaha Canada's online parts store and you can see which Shad bags they list as being compatible with this rack.

Thanks! I had a Shad case for my FZ6 and loved it. I checked them out and none had the passenger grab rail on the rack so that's why I'm going with the yamaha rack.

No plate required for the yamaha setup. The website automatically converts for you via paypal. Fazer_8 is correct about a slight rattle with the yamaha case however its just the latching system. It was annoying at first but it doesn't bother me anymore. The fit and finish on the box has held up just fine over 2 years so I will vouch for the quality of it. I keep it stored indoors when not in use though since it stands out a bit on the bike. You do have to put the emblems on yourself but I rather enjoyed that part to be honest. Maybe the yamaha rack and a shad case? Maybe do some homework and see if they're compatible. Shad makes a good product but the top case was only $120 or so at the time so I jumped on it.

I ordered the rear rack from Yamaha Genuine Parts and the top case on Amazon. thanks for the parts number Larry. Cant wait for them to get here so my gf can ride with me.

Darren

My rack and top case came yesterday and I spent all evening cutting the tail section to make room for the rear rack to fit. After several trips to the store and borrowing a friend's dremel tool, I was able to finish the job and got everything mounted and ready to go.

One last note, it was very convenient for Yamaha to outline the cut section so i didn't have to do it, just had to follow the lines and cut with the dremel tool. :D