The joys of modifying your Yamaha on your own.

glockman39

So I had all the parts for my FZ8 laid out except for my Jardine exhaust (more on that in a minute).

I attached the frame slider and new signals front and back with no problems (removed that ugly factory tail). Then I moved on to the mirrors. I purchased some very nice mirrors that I saw on someone's bike on this forum. Clutch side mirror came off without a hitch, and the new mirror was on in a snap. Throttle side mirror, however, had other ideas. The locking nut at the base of the factory mirror stem was torqued down so tight that I snapped a Craftsman ratchet trying to get it off. No deal. It was there to stay, so I have to grind down the post on the original mirror stem because part of the threads were stripped off when I removed the factory nut. Then I had no choice but to reinstall the factory mirrors on both sides. So I have these nice aftermarket mirrors just sitting on my workbench.

Now for the Jardine. I ordered an RT-5 on sale from MotorCycle Superstore, but received an RT-1 for an FZ1 a week later. So I called them. They said send the old one back, and if you want a new one, you'll have to order another one because the charge back for the first one won't post for a few weeks, so I ordered another RT-5 for an FZ8. And promptly received another RT-1 for an FZ1. So I called them again, and it turns out that the part number was listed incorrectly in their catalogue. Then they say they do the RT-5 for an FZ8, but it's $200 more, and they can't give it to me for the listed sale price of the mis-listed RT-5. I say no thanks, and you'll get nary another dollar of my business.

But at least the bike is still a blast to ride.

lothodon

Super Moderator
welcome to the world of "it's just like an fz1" that a lot of parts sellers are living in.

as for the mirror on the throttle side, are you aware that it's reverse/anti-clockwise/left hand threaded? i use all three terms as everyone seems to say it differently.

glockman39

welcome to the world of "it's just like an fz1" that a lot of parts sellers are living in.

as for the mirror on the throttle side, are you aware that it's reverse/anti-clockwise/left hand threaded? i use all three terms as everyone seems to say it differently.
Yeah. The damn thing just wouldn't come off. I tried everything imaginable.

lothodon

Super Moderator
if your interested and can get the mirror itself off, down to the handlebar post, kiwav makes a nice cheap simple set of adapters that are only about 3/4" high, black and create two "normal" 10mm threaded sockets for mirrors. i got them to mount a set of aftermarket mirrors that didn't provide a reverse threaded bolt and found them to be even more than meets the eye as they also provide an extension to bring my too short mirrors a little higher up. found them on ebay, fast (really fast) shipping from taiwan and cheap, as in $6 with shipping.

D

Deleted member 438

I would of thought that you were tightening the right mirror. It could've been cross threaded by the dealership or the factory(not sure who's job it is to put 'em on).

glockman39

if your interested and can get the mirror itself off, down to the handlebar post, kiwav makes a nice cheap simple set of adapters that are only about 3/4" high, black and create two "normal" 10mm threaded sockets for mirrors. i got them to mount a set of aftermarket mirrors that didn't provide a reverse threaded bolt and found them to be even more than meets the eye as they also provide an extension to bring my too short mirrors a little higher up. found them on ebay, fast (really fast) shipping from taiwan and cheap, as in $6 with shipping.
The throttle side mirror is mounted to the throttle assembly itself, though. How is that problem remedied?

glockman39

I wasn't sure if it was right threaded, so I checked into before starting. It seems as though it was simply torqued beyond the proper specs.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm a little confused as there are two "stems" on the factory mirrors. there is the actual stem coming from the mirror head and a "stem" that actually threads into the handlebar "nut".

what are you left with at this time? any chance of a pic?

FZ8Hawaii

Aloha Glockman

Hi, was just wondering why you picked that slipon for your fz8, I have a new 2012 fz8 comming next week and was trying to decide what pipe to go with.
Also, I own three Glocks!!

glockman39

Hi, was just wondering why you picked that slipon for your fz8, I have a new 2012 fz8 comming next week and was trying to decide what pipe to go with.
Also, I own three Glocks!!

I had chosen the Jardine because I've owned them in the past, and I always liked the sound.

But I actually ended up going with the polished aluminum Two Brothers. Great sound and great look.

I own, and have owned, several Glocks. I'm a factory certified armorer for the police department I work for.

glockman39

I would of thought that you were tightening the right mirror. It could've been cross threaded by the dealership or the factory(not sure who's job it is to put 'em on).

I took it to Barney's St. Pete where I purchased the bike and they were able to loosen it for me. They were also surprised at how tight the nut was.

FZER

Avid Rider
Welcome to the world of peed Japanese factory workers....I got a new oil pan, because of some jerk going crazy with his wrench. The install cost me $275, and no bike for a week.