Thats my luck...

FZ8Grid

Well. I guess my luck this year is just amazing... Not...

Black cavalier pulled out from a side street onto a main road and took me out. Hit the driver side tire, smashed into the windshield, and flipped in the air and landed on my back.

Luckily iv come out of it will a messed up leg (not broken just stretched/torn ligaments) I’m sure it would have been worse is I hadn’t had my steel plated jacket, boots, helmet, and gloves.

So sad to see her all mangled and messed up.. She’s a total for sure.

I think I’m going to end up with road rage. Next time someone does something stupid by my bike I think my plate gauntlets are going to take out a side mirror... It’s fucking ridiculous.

hypo

WOW. :( Glad you're walking and talking. Summertime cagers include LOTS of kids who just got their first breath of freedom and they just plain don't LOOK. I've kicked 3 quarterpanels and knocked on 2 windows so far this summer. Good luck with the insurance.

save the tail tidy and mirrors and seats? ;)

FZ8Grid

So far the insurance company had been bending over. Going to pay for all my riding gear and add-ons to the bike (tidy-kit/turn signals/mirrors) for the full retail value that I paid for.

They are acting kind of scared.. I’m waiting for them to put up a fight, but i made it clear to them if they do the right thing, I’ll do the right thing and no one else needs to be involved.

My dealer is checking the bike out and I have a 3ed party appraiser doing prices and looking for bikes. My dealer is one of the first Yamaha/Honda shops in the US (dryer) So they are also taking care of me. Have one left in stock and they are holding it for me. Said they will try to do things right by me if they try to screw me on a price. (said he could drop it to what they give me or 7,200 out the door.)

I’ve always been pissed, but for some reason this year has been the worst from a teen stand point. 4 times iv almost been hit at a 4 way stop by some teen girl on her phone or with her friends. People pulling out of gas stations.

The thing I hate most is they act like you’re the one that did something wrong and want to start shit or cuss you out.

hypo

you DO have a slight upperhand... just don't push the envelope. they hit YOU, and YOU were thrown from the vehicle. charges of negligence and hospital/medical costs can RUIN their day... what is their insurance company? a small local or a big name?

lothodon

Super Moderator
food for thought...

got hit from behind and totaled my first r1, not my fault. driver's insurance company bent over backward to make me happy BUT...

years later i'm in massive pain due to three deteriorated vertebrae and two slipped discs in my neck (C5-C7) and pinched nerve clusters as well. doctors presume (of course) that it was from the helmet back slamming into my neck all those years ago.

my words of advice, get FULLY checked out medically. even if you think your ok don't do so without a doctor saying so. it'll piss off the insurance company but might save you a lot of pain in the future.

also, don't be in too much of a rush to settle and miss ANYTHING you have coming to you.

other than that I'm truly sorry for your accident and am pleased to know your as healthy as you are. bikes can be replaced, lives cannot.

FZ8Grid

Loth you have always given great advice period. I’ve been taking every precaution that I can to make sure I don’t have any hidden injuries. I’ve had multy xrays on my whole leg got an MRI also and have had physicals and things of that nature.

I’ll have to let you know what they value the bike at. Had my dealer call me today and it was about 7,800 in repairs. Frame that holds the handle bar set up was also compromised.

Thanks for the advice and the support.

Ivy33

FZ8Grid, I'm really glad you came out of that ok. Good luck on your bike. I'm sure it will all work out ok!

mano1192

Damn bro I just saw this thread, thank god you were wearing your gear or this would be a whole different thread. Kids on phones are rediculous. People just dont pay attention, you have to riding defensivly all the time. There are times where I will filter through stopped traffic as to not have any cars around me after the light. Or when at all possible stay the hell out of the right lane, its a well known deathtrap!

I hope you have a speedy recovery, and like others have said get your medical done right. Screw the insurance companies, their all scumbags anyways!

FZ8Grid

Well looks like im done for the season boys.
Bike was written off as a total. Front frame was warped, after labor it was about $8200 in repairs.
Had a settlement for the bike (just the bike and only the bike) and received 100% of the money I spent for the bike and parts. Sad part is ALL shops in a 150mil radius seem to be out of FZ8s and Japan has closed off for the 2011 season. So looks like I won’t have a choice but to wait for the 2012 FZ8 line.
In a leg brace for the next 3 months then some partial surgery on my knee. PT starts now for my lower and upper leg (to work everything but the knee) 3 times a week for 6 weeks and 2-3 per week when everything is said and done with my knee. So it’s going to be Jan/Feb. before I close off that deal.
I hope you all are doing ok and riding safe. I guess the bright side is ill have a full list of add-ons and parts ready to order by the time I can ride again. Ha ha.

Keep your eyes open

Ivy33

Well looks like im done for the season boys.
Bike was written off as a total. Front frame was warped, after labor it was about $8200 in repairs.
Had a settlement for the bike (just the bike and only the bike) and received 100% of the money I spent for the bike and parts. Sad part is ALL shops in a 150mil radius seem to be out of FZ8s and Japan has closed off for the 2011 season. So looks like I won’t have a choice but to wait for the 2012 FZ8 line.
In a leg brace for the next 3 months then some partial surgery on my knee. PT starts now for my lower and upper leg (to work everything but the knee) 3 times a week for 6 weeks and 2-3 per week when everything is said and done with my knee. So it’s going to be Jan/Feb. before I close off that deal.
I hope you all are doing ok and riding safe. I guess the bright side is ill have a full list of add-ons and parts ready to order by the time I can ride again. Ha ha.

Keep your eyes open

Hey, I just want you to know that, here in Maryland, Battley Cycles has an FZ8 available. I know it's a long way away but I figured I'd let you know in case you're interested. It's not on their website but I saw it there today.

spaz

your not that far from Michigan and I think there is a dealer up here that might have one or two FZ 8 on hand. you might be able to get a dealer transfer down to you. if you want to give it a try, give shawmut hills a call at 616-453-5467. they will treat you right they are a very good dealer.