Stuck in 3-4-5-6 gears at a stop.

TorontoAlex

Anyone else ever get this? I find if I come to a dead stop in one of my higher gears I can't downshift unless I engage the clutch and clunk it down. Don't like it.

2013 4000kms

Needs more breaking in? Normal? Not normal?

dtbrown

Anyone else ever get this? I find if I come to a dead stop in one of my higher gears I can't downshift unless I engage the clutch and clunk it down. Don't like it.

2013 4000kms

Normal for this transmission. When I first got mine I did the same thing. You'll have to downshift when slowing down. And you'll find engine breaking is nice.

ssky0078

I had that problem on my Fz6 and once on my Fz1. I think it's just inherit to Yammi transmissions

I would change the oil, that helped on my Fz6.

tri dude

Totally normal with Yamaha gearboxes - my Fazer 8 (2011) and wife's FZ6R (2013) do it. Just get used to clicking down through the box and use engine braking as you come to a stop.

villhelmromero

Whenever that happens slightly release the clutch while stopped in that gear until you feel a slight "clunk" then squeeze the clutch all the way in again and down shift. you'll have to do it to get through each gear. same problem on other bikes for me too. it's nothing to worry about. but like stated before just engine brake your way down into first gear.

ssky0078

Totally normal with Yamaha gearboxes - my Fazer 8 (2011) and wife's FZ6R (2013) do it. Just get used to clicking down through the box and use engine braking as you come to a stop.

+1000 on this, I always cycle down through the gears with engine braking. Never have to worry about it. Just apply a light pressure to the shift pedal when coasting at less than 10 mph and the first gear will slip right in.

Bajaedition

so true
seems to be a Yamaha thing
I have had a few issues with it but now down shift with breaking and it does not bother me anymore

HenryT

2013 4000kms

I'm sorry, I'm not following? I have never been confused for an Einstein so I might need more guidance, but If you roll to a stop the bike is running right? How else can you manipulate the transmission effectively without using the clutch while sitting at a stop?

I will add if by "dead stop" you mean the engine is "dead" or not running? Apologize again but will add almost every bike I have had required something going on (Pushing it a bit, clutch engagement, clutch engagement and push...etc.) to get it to shift while the motors not spinning. Them kind of trannys in bikes likes to be turning to work.

Last edited:

F3NIX

Yeah im a bit confused with your terminology. Coming to a complete stop means motor is running, but the bike is stationary. If you meant shutting off the engine whike in a higher gear, you may want to use different terminology like "when I shutoff my engine whike in a higher gear"

Otherwise im not sure how you coukd come to a complete stop whike in a higher gear without using a clutch or having incredibly strong legs!

Please specify so we can better understand your issue :)

sent from my FZ8 whike driving 100mph...using tapatalk2

HeadFX

I think what OP means that when he comes up to a set of traffic lights on red for example, he may be approaching in 5th gear but he'll brake and pull the clutch in by the time he gets to a standstill. Then he would keep the clutch held and click down the gears. Or at least he would try to!

Personally I always go down through the gears while slowing down - I was taught that at about 14 years old and I've done it ever since. I'll clutch-in, blip the throttle for rev-matching, feed the clutch-out and then repeat. In fact I love doing it because it sounds good ;)

Bajaedition

I normally pull clutch and down shift a few gears and release the clutch,etc till stopped. On hard braking this is not a habit as things go by too quick. It is after hard braking I noticed on this bike, and on another Yamaha I once owned that it can hang up in gear and not want to shift down until I release the clutch and reengage.
So I have experienced it a few times but just consider it a quirk of the a Yamaha line.
Unlike a cars tranny we cannot locate neutral except when passing between 1 and 2. So we may have a few design issues to have to deal with. I find that over all the transmission of the average Jap multi is spot on and smooth as a centerfolds belly so I really just get past it.

tri dude

I think what OP means that when he comes up to a set of traffic lights on red for example, he may be approaching in 5th gear but he'll brake and pull the clutch in by the time he gets to a standstill. Then he would keep the clutch held and click down the gears. Or at least he would try to!

Personally I always go down through the gears while slowing down - I was taught that at about 14 years old and I've done it ever since. I'll clutch-in, blip the throttle for rev-matching, feed the clutch-out and then repeat. In fact I love doing it because it sounds good ;)

That's exactly what the OP means. :rockon:

Hellgate

It's a sequential transmission, that's how they work. As you slow down shift into the appropriate gear and you're good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

alexk

Weekend Rider
I can actually do this deliberately on my 2013.

If I shift down quickly (but not slam it), it'll downshift all the way from 6th to first with no issues.

If I'm slow and apply pressure instead of a quick shift (like when I'm tired), one of the downshifts will feel different - notchy, followed by rubbery. Once I hit that rubbery feel, I *have* to apply some clutch before it will shift gears. This is the opposite of the other sequential transmissions I've used, all of which required I physically roll the bike to complete shifting.

So, to avoid the stuck-in-gear problem, I:
  • Always shift quickly
  • Always allow the shifter to return completely to center before shifting again

TorontoAlex

Thanks!

For those who misunderstood,its probably because i said i have to ENGAGE the clutch (meaning releasing the lever, as in letting it go out a bit) to shift and clunk my way down (yes engine is running!).

compensation

I think your talking about holding in the clutch and not being able to shift more then a few gears down at a time. If so, like stated before just let out some clutch and drop one or maybe two gears and repeat. What I hate is when your slowing down and not stopping and don't get first right away or overshoot 2nd and neutral instead. Then you have to either stop or slam it in gear.